Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the best time of year to buy a boat?

Zac

I've never bought a boat before and am new to this game. I've been lurking and scouring forums and articles for a few months now and I've read that this is the best time of year to buy a boat mostly due to end of season / winterizing cost / storage cost.

Is it worth waiting until December? I imagine boat sales slowslow down but people probably have their boat winterized and storage figured out by then to.

I'm looking for honest opinions from people that have bought in the past at different times of the year.

Examples would be great from sellers that are listing now and say it doesn't sell, do you plan to increase the price in the spring and by how much?

I live in Canada and our dollar is in the toilet right now. I suspect this will impact new prices next year. I'm wondering if it will it impact used prices as well (ie is it possible a 2013 malibu will cost more next September than it currently does)?

Realistically I am at least a year away from pulling the trigger but I need to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed before I make a purchase this big.

Thanks crew!

It really depends on whether you are buying new or used.

For me this time of year was a great time to buy my boat. I bought a new, ordered, boat. Delivery was for April.

The dealer got a sale, filled a build slot and a trade in boat to sell as well. He sold the trade in before I took delivery.

For me, I got the boat I wanted, when I wanted, did not have to worry about selling my old boat and had no winter storage to deal with.

Win for both the dealer and myself.

It really depends on whether you are buying new or used.

For me this time of year was a great time to buy my boat. I bought a new, ordered, boat. Delivery was for April.

The dealer got a sale, filled a build slot and a trade in boat to sell as well. He sold the trade in before I took delivery.

For me, I got the boat I wanted, when I wanted, did not have to worry about selling my old boat and had no winter storage to deal with.

Win for both the dealer and myself.

Great point. I should have clarified. I will purchase used (likely a vlx or LSV between 2010-2015 most likely)

If so, do your digging and find yourself an end of year sale. Going to the US might still be profitable since your selection is much deeper. Just know that your ranges include pre-surf gate boats, which are significantly cheaper than SG boats.

Good time to buy if sellers don't want to store their boats all winter &/or they plan on buying at the boat show or in the spring. Prices are typically pretty good.

But there is typically not much of a selection.

Being a year out, you should start shopping now, noting of any trends you see in your area. I found that as I test rode various boats, my list of wants & must haves changed. In the end I bought a boat in October for $11k less than it was listed in July.

I find that for the boats advertised all winter that prices start rising again after the boat show. Bought mine in Jan after it had been for sale since fall. You do have to be willing to buy with no test drive if you do it in the winter. Should be plenty of selection for the type of boat you are looking for, the number of vtx on the market is pretty small by comparison.

Absolutely! I would be focusing on the used market. I would be playing the "it's the end of the season, I'm going to have to winterize it right away and then store it" card and then take it out as many times as possible which is usually until the end of October for us. If you're going to have to pay a lot to store it, then I would re-consider looking now.

As far as new goes, I have heard some people got the fall-winter prices on new boats at the boat show in February with a good amount of negotiating.

Now is the best time.... BEFORE people winterize. By end of October, people are thinking about the holidays. It's usually slim pickings between November and February (and probably more like March or April the farther north you go).

Now through November is prime time for used boats in our area. People that haven't taken it out more than a few times this summer and aren't looking forward to storing it, or making payments alllll winter long again, are going to want to get out from under their boats.

Then again... you're about to start making payments alllllll through winter. lol

So they pretty much have to make it worth your while, or at least have the 100% boat of your dreams available.

Now through November is prime time for used boats in our area. People that haven't taken it out more than a few times this summer and aren't looking forward to storing it, or making payments alllll winter long again, are going to want to get out from under their boats.

Then again... you're about to start making payments alllllll through winter. lol

So they pretty much have to make it worth your while, or at least have the 100% boat of your dreams available.

You have winter down here? I am in auburn for work right now and today was at hot as it got all summer in Michigan lol

I agree with the advice above. Now through February you can find some good deals. Just something's you have to accept like possibility of no test drive and buying it then storing it right away.

I would be looking at left over 14-15's as well. Dealers are looking to unload inventory. Especially if they are still holding onto a 14.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

OT....

Your current avatar is ridiculous!! Love it.

Back on topic....

If our dollar stays at this low level, which I bet it will or lower for some time our used boats here will just get more expensive as time goes on and as long as malibu keeps having their price increases every year. I sold my 2010 this year after 3 years of owning it for considerably more than I paid for it and bought my 2015 this year new at last years dollar exchange for less than used 2015's are advertised for now. Our local dealers are having to pay a lot for the trade in boats to sell the 2016's at our lower dollar now and malibu's price increase for 2016. I would be looking for a private sale with in the next month or a dealer boat that they don't want to sit on and carry for the winter, after that they will be winterized and put away. Forget about buying a boat out of the states now after exchange and shipping it will be wy to expensive. If you look at identical boats here and the states and do the dollar conversion the same boat here is quite a bit less. That is not gonna last. Our american friends will be coming up here to buy our boats soon.

I know I almost did. It is trickier then one would think though. First off lack of a title doesn't make either the bank or the state happy. Getting it across the border not quite as challenging but still there are hoops. Shoot even getting a wire transfer through for down payment is tough because the xchange rates change before the transfer happens.

But man the conversion looks attractive.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I know I almost did. It is trickier then one would think though. First off lack of a title doesn't make either the bank or the state happy. Getting it across the border not quite as challenging but still there are hoops. Shoot even getting a wire transfer through for down payment is tough because the xchange rates change before the transfer happens.

But man the conversion looks attractive.

Just have to know the right people. I have sold 4 of my trucks to the states this year ,last one being a 6 month old 2015 f150. At least our low dollar is good for something's for us. I could see if you were getting bank involved on financing it could be an issue but for a cash buyer it would be no problem