Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bakes Piggyback System?

Edstygar

Has anyone installed the Bakes piggy back ballast system? Do you care to share your experience, diagrams, instructions? I have installed the Wakemakers system in my 2010 VLX and it is not working well. I think the idea of separately filling the bag/tank, and an additional pump to empty out the bag.

Thanks!

I went with a modified super piggyback system from wakemakers. They took a long time to respond to my questions, but once they finally did, we had it worked out in no time.

I upgraded the inlet pumps to 1100 piranha pumps and used the existing piranha's to empty the bags. I had to upgrade the inlet hoses and fitting to 1" and then combined the outlets and overflows. I also added some anti-syphon valves as mine did not come with any.

The system works almost perfectly, but I still need to modify the overflow lines as when the tank is full, the water wants to come out the side instead of first into the bag. Small fix that will have to wait until spring.

This ballast upgrade, along with the FAE and NauticLogic GPS were some of the best projects I have done since owning the boat.

Has anyone installed the Bakes piggy back ballast system? Do you care to share your experience, diagrams, instructions? I have installed the Wakemakers system in my 2010 VLX and it is not working well. I think the idea of separately filling the bag/tank, and an additional pump to empty out the bag.

Thanks!

JUST GO REVESIBLE PUMPS. You will never be happier

• Like 2

JUST GO REVESIBLE PUMPS. You will never be happier

Seriously. Its a pretty easy install too. Their specs say that they arent as fast as a reversible pump, but I can fill 400lb bags way faster than my stock pumps can fill the middle ballast, so whats it matter at that point? I do kinda like when the drain is out the side of the boat. I know I can rig it up to do that, its more work than its worth.

IMHO - Skip the piggybag and do it right. You wont regret it.

I think I am going to do reversible pumps. How hard to install it? Where do you put the holes? One or two holes for each pump?

What about one in the bow?

Thanks!

I think I am going to do reversible pumps. How hard to install it? Where do you put the holes? One or two holes for each pump?

What about one in the bow?

Thanks!

I did the easy route and didnt drill any holes. I took the plug out of the middle and ran a hose to under the drivers console where I put the pump for the front bag. I used the plug under the Vdrive and a splitter to 2 pumps in the back compartments. Wakemakers will tell you this isnt a good idea, but plenty of guys are doing it without burning out their pumps.

Another cheaper option which is how I started is to just have 1 pump in the back and run the splitter after the pump to fill both back bags at once and just continue to throw a pump over the side for the front bag. Thatll get you a start and will still be faster and smarter than piggybacking. If you keep in mind the end goal of two pumps you can add a second later for relatively little wasted $$.

• 2 months later...

I am planning to install this system in my boat this winter. Just curious, how does the hard tank vent? Are there any issues with this? Also, has anyone decided to add an empty pump on the sac? If so how did you wire this in? Just splice it in to the wires for the tank pump? How do you access the tank pump?

I hear ya on the piggy back systems. They can be a pain to get dialed in. They don't always want to drain fully, they seem to take a long time to drain and fill, they don't always hold the water in and drain out on their own... etc. I got mine working fairly well on my boat, but this year I got a crack in my hard tank. So I did what I should have done from day one. I pulled my rear hard tanks and put in Sumo 900's. It is the best thing I have done to my boat yet. I have no issues at all. You can just use all the stock pumps and lines and vents, just plug it into your sack and thats it. The really cool thing about this is when the sacks are empty, you have a lot more storage. I was running fly high 750s on my 200 tank, but I am getting a lot more weight from the sumo 900. While I was down there I switched all my 800 pumps to 1200's and increased all my hose lines from 3/4" to 1" (except the vent line, kept that 3/4"). I cut my old fill time from about 12-15 minutes down to 6:36. My old drain time was about 15-20 minutes to get all the water out down to 8 minutes.

• 5 months later...

I installed this set up in my 2006 247 last summer. I was directed to add anew additional drain pump for faster draining. Everything else if did seems to be in line with everyone else's install. 

In order to keep draining easy with the switch on the dash they just had me tie the wiring into the factory drain pump wiring. It worked perfectly. Today I put everything back in the boat and got the boat ready to go and when I turned the battery switch to on the new drain pumps turned on. I don't know how they are running and the factory pumps are not. Again they worked perfectly when I parked the boat in the garage last fall. Can anyone help with why this is happening?