Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 A22 without surfgates?

Raimie

When I ordered my T22 this spring the dealer and I joked when he asked if I wanted surfgates, we both commented on how you would be stupid to order a boat without them, guess we found that person. Even if you were a hardcore wakeboarder just resale alone would of made me order them.

My local dealer mentioned to me that he had his very first "no surfgate" order this year. The family does not surf on their private lake and they owned their last Malibu for years. I guess they don't plan on selling it anytime soon and the resale isn't of a concern for them. Still think it is silly. I guess at Malibu's quarterly meetings, when they announce surfgate has a 99% take to market, these are the people that are the true 1%-ers...

I can see why it is an option but it should be more like a "wedge delete" or "surfgate delete" option. For someone that's going to keep the boat 15 years it's really not a huge deal to them. There's enough add on surf systems out there that even if I did surf regularly I would probably still buy a 13 for a bigger discount.

I was thinking for 2016 they would just make the wedge and gates part of the base build. I know why they don't, but I think it's stupid to have those be "options"

Jack stated several quarters ago during the earnings call that options have higher margin than the base boat. I suspect that's your answer. It also explains why things like "flip up bow light" are still options on these boats.

• 2 months later...

Found this thread before going to look at that same boat this weekend. Other than missing the surfgates and the green, everything else was there. The dealer was very upfront about why the boat wasn't selling and discounted accordingly. And it was a trade in.

And up to date ad for reference. http://greenville.craigslist.org/bod/5318691848.html

Cool! Just plumb in custom sacks and reversibles. When you want to surf, flip a switch. Really listing a boat can be that easy, you don't have to have surfgate to surf!