Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge actuator replacement '08 VTX

Anyone replace the power wedge actuators on a 2008 VTX? Mine are shot -- I need to help the wedge deploy by hand, and one of the actuators shoots water out when retracting.

I know that I have the older 3-lobe actuators, and that supposedly these are no longer available -- replaced with 5-lobe actuators.

I've spoken with Andrew at Bakes; he didn't seem to know for sure if the 5-lobe units will work with my boat; or if I might have problems with the gauge displaying accurately. I've also spoken with a technician at my Malibu dealer... originally quoted me actuators + control box, but then needed to call Malibu to determine if I need the box or not (haven't heard back from him yet). My boat doesn't appear to have a separate actuator control box; I believe they are controlled right out of the Medallion Instruments main box. I also have the "puck" on the wedge pivot point to determine wedge angle.

Looked for a part number on my current actuators -- can't find any markings other than the Lenco sticker.

Would really like some feedback before I spend $550 on actuators ($275/ea. at BakesOnline). Boat is out of the water and in the garage for the season now, so no great rush.

Thanks,

Steve

Anyone replace the power wedge actuators on a 2008 VTX? Mine are shot -- I need to help the wedge deploy by hand, and one of the actuators shoots water out when retracting.

I know that I have the older 3-lobe actuators, and that supposedly these are no longer available -- replaced with 5-lobe actuators.

I've spoken with Andrew at Bakes; he didn't seem to know for sure if the 5-lobe units will work with my boat; or if I might have problems with the gauge displaying accurately. I've also spoken with a technician at my Malibu dealer... originally quoted me actuators + control box, but then needed to call Malibu to determine if I need the box or not (haven't heard back from him yet). My boat doesn't appear to have a separate actuator control box; I believe they are controlled right out of the Medallion Instruments main box. I also have the "puck" on the wedge pivot point to determine wedge angle.

Looked for a part number on my current actuators -- can't find any markings other than the Lenco sticker.

Would really like some feedback before I spend $550 on actuators ($275/ea. at BakesOnline). Boat is out of the water and in the garage for the season now, so no great rush.

Thanks,

Steve

I have an 08 VLX and replaced the actuators with 5-lobes this summer. I spoke with bakes and with lenco before making the purchase. I had all the same concerns as you did. I ran with the 5 lobes now for about 40 hours on the boat and haven't had any issues with them. My actuator was numbered ZIFB5 and lenco said that the replacement I needed was a 15060-001. This is a 102 xds hd actuator with a 4 ¼ stroke.

Edited by theGrant

Thanks all for the feedback... this was very helpful.

Looked again and found an identifier on the actuators -- ZIHB5; this crosses to P/N 15060-001 (s/a findings by theGrant).

Located at Hopkins Carter out of Miami for $178.95/ea.; ordered two for $387.37 including ~$30 shipping to Wisconsin.

http://www.hopkins-carter.com/leelac12555.html

Will post follow-up upon receipt & installation.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing the actuators last night... took less than 2 hours; no problems. Wires went through the transom with no issues; crimped and heat-shrunk to the white & black feed wires behind the engine. Ran the wedge up and down several times, and calibrated the gauge at both ends. Storing the wedge in the down position for the winter (actuators retracted), as I read in the forums that this will minimize corrosion on the rams.

Thanks again for all the help!

Steve