Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Almost sank my boat

Chatty21VLX

I've always wondered how easy it would be to put the plug in while in the water. Your prelaunch check list is better than mine, which is plug in? go!

Not that easy. Especially when it is the first day out this year. Water was cold................................at least thats what my "friend" told me. :lol::innocent:

I'm not saying I'll *never* forget. But like LBJ, this system hasn't failed me yet. My wife and I read enough of these stories of plugs, and we watched a boat burn on the trailer half in and out of the water after flashing when he started it. (oh, ok - I did leave the rear straps on once about 6-7 years ago, so that one I have done)

We dry stack our boat now, so the plug REALLY hasn't been an issue this year. We only pull it out a couple of times a year at the moment, and we both go through the "big 3" when we launch.

Plugs, blower, straps.

We do the same thing when we put up at the dock every time. We each say these four things -

Batteries, keys, rings, phones.

Turn the batteries off, make sure we have boat keys and car keys, both have our wedding rings if we've taken anything off, and make sure we have our phones.

But like I said in a previous thread, my wife is the best first mate ever. She's on top of her game, and keeps me on top of mine.

What about wallets. Leave mine in the boat or house boat quite frequently.

Houseboat gives me a reason to go back LOL

And not even going to say how many times I have forgot the plugs THIS YEAR!!! the bilge keeps up for quite some time LOL!!

When you park the truck, come back to the dock and the bilge is running you know something is wrong.

BTW I am blonde :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1

The manual for the 2016 shows there is a sensor that tells if the bilge plug is not in when you launch the boat. Shows yellow on the main screen on the picture of the boat where the drain plugs are. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? not sure if the 2015's do this. I don't really feel like testing this to know

Edited by wheelman

What about wallets. Leave mine in the boat or house boat quite frequently.

Houseboat gives me a reason to go back LOL

And not even going to say how many times I have forgot the plugs THIS YEAR!!! the bilge keeps up for quite some time LOL!!

When you park the truck, come back to the dock and the bilge is running you know something is wrong.

BTW I am blonde :rofl: :rofl:

Ha. My keys go with my wallet and gun. Haven't forgotten them yet.

Left my rings once or twice. But that's why we added it to the list of "what not to forget" lol

Ha. My keys go with my wallet and gun. Haven't forgotten them yet.

Left my rings once or twice. But that's why we added it to the list of "what not to forget" lol

Do you actually bring a gun on your boat trips? I'm not being judgemental, I'm genuinely curious!

This is a tough one to admit. We were heading down to Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho and I had been told that it is a great idea to remove your speedo for a long trip as their is no lubrication on the paddle wheel. We get there after a long long trip and decided to take the kids for a quick ride and put the boat in the slip. We put in the seadoos fors and then backed in the boat. Idling out of the marina and the bilge warning came on. I opened the midshp hatch and there was a lot of water POURING in. Looke din my cupholders and all the plugs were installed. Yelled at my friend to run back and have them back the trailer back down the ramp. He doesnt hear me correct and heads down the lake to chase down the other Seadoo. Now I am starting to think I need to beach this thing if I can't find the leak. Shut off the engine to make sure I wasn't pumping more water in and threw a Tsunami pump in the Vdrive compartment to help keep up. That's when I realized that the paddlewheel was not in the hole. I felt like an idiot. My 07 VTX had a speedo plug you put in the hole if you ever pulled the paddle wheel out. :blush::Doh:

That was the worst I have ever done.

My bilge pumped failed earlier this year while we were surfing, and there was a lot of water getting in the bilge. So I dropped my Uber pump in there and I was impressed with how fast it pulled out the water. So now it stays in the boat all the time. I can imagine that a Tsunami pump would do a whole lot more, so either one would be a great thing to keep on board.

The manual for the 2016 shows there is a sensor that tells if the bilge plug is not in when you launch the boat. Shows yellow on the main screen on the picture of the boat where the drain plugs are. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? not sure if the 2015's do this. I don't really feel like testing this to know

2015's do not have this. It's new for 2016.

Do you actually bring a gun on your boat trips? I'm not being judgemental, I'm genuinely curious!

Absolutely.

Although I will say I won't go near it unless I feel truly threatened with bodily harm. And I mean you pretty much have to actively attack one of us, or pull a gun out yourself, before I'll draw on you.

So, hopefully that's something that never happens in my life and my gun stays holstered, gathering dust unless I take it to the range or a competition. ha

Absolutely.

Although I will say I won't go near it unless I feel truly threatened with bodily harm. And I mean you pretty much have to actively attack one of us, or pull a gun out yourself, before I'll draw on you.

So, hopefully that's something that never happens in my life and my gun stays holstered, gathering dust unless I take it to the range or a competition. ha

Honestly it would never have occurred to me before this thread to bring a gun on a leisure boat trip. I suppose if you were boating in gator territory it might make sense but for self defence it would never have occurred to me. Luckily we don't have to worry about those types of critters up here!

The gun culture is very different North of the border, for better or for worse.

Back on topic, has anyone ever (or willing to admit) put a hole through their boat with a gun? I imagine that might sink your boat!

Honestly it would never have occurred to me before this thread to bring a gun on a leisure boat trip. I suppose if you were boating in gator territory it might make sense but for self defence it would never have occurred to me. Luckily we don't have to worry about those types of critters up here!

Back on topic, has anyone ever (or willing to admit) put a hole through their boat with a gun? I imagine that might sink your boat!

We don't have any gators at our lake, but they are at some other area lakes - however they leave humans alone. Typically they either don't bat an eyelash if you're around, or they just sink and swim off somewhere else. Snakes are pretty scarce as well, but they do exist. And water moccasins are extremely aggressive and territorial.

As for a hole in a boat, I haven't. But I'm pretty sure if I had that whole "snake in my boat" experience I'd sure consider it, and just pray my bilge pump was on point! lol

Guns down here are prevalent. Most people just expect that someone will have one, and maybe that's where "southern hospitality" comes from - we assume you have a gun, so being polite is always the best option. :)

Most people just expect that someone will have one, and maybe that's where "southern hospitality" comes from - we assume you have a gun, so being polite is always the best option. :)

Ha!! That should be on a t-shirt!!! I'm gonna use that one someday.

I don't make it a habit to carry on my boat (unless I'm duck hunting). I usually do it if a) I don't feel safe leaving the gun in my truck (some launches I use breakins are common), or b) I'm gonna be pulling out after dark and I've seen some sketchy characters wandering around before. Mostly part a.

I don't know why you say that.....I have a perfect record. My system works for me.

That's why I only called MILD BS. We all have our systems and if it works well for you then it's a good one, but what happens that one time when you wife or kid or someone not you uses your boat and doesn't know the system? For me, if it's always in, then it's never not in when you need it in the most.