Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Almost sank my boat

Chatty21VLX

You're pre-launch checklist is pretty lean but you'll learn. As for the plug, I've done that. You can stuff a beach towel or rag in there to slow the flow to the point that the bilge can keep it pumped down. Gives you time to gather your bearings and put the plug in. My first time was frantic as well!!

Good response!

You could attach a key ring and snap hook of some sort to the plug handle and anytime it is not installed, ensure it is attached to your ignition key ring - can't forget it then! Or you can just use a rubber band to attach it.

If I am going to leave the boat with coolant hoses off or no oil or filter or whatever, I attach a tag to the key ring noting the status.

Edited by GreenMan

The closest I ever came to forgetting the plug was, I put the rear plug in only finger tight, meaning to rap a wrench but forgot. Just so happen to be the coldest day and the coldest water. I jumped in, with trunks only, and tightened it down.

some folks have a nice hook made of nine wire. attach the plug to that, and hang the hook on the steering wheel....or place the plug that same place you store the ignition keys.....glad it didn't get any deeper.

I left one strap on at the back once , once only . Wow couldnt figger why she wouldn't come off , then wheh I figured it out I released the strap and the whole trailer dropped. Coulda really hurt myself but didn't .....

• Like 1

Welcome to boating!

Anybody who tells you that they have never forgotten to put the plug in (usually its the transom plug) is probably lying to you!

The only plug that I ever pull on my Bu is the transom plug. On my previous boats, going all the way back to when I was a teenager, that's

the only one there was. Its just easier for me to keep track if there's only the one I need to focus on.

Ironically, the closest I've come to "sinking" my Bu was the time I took it to the dealership for service and forgot to pull the plug! Naturally,

30 minutes after I left, they had a near-record downpour, and, even with my cover on, it took on over 15 gallons (I guess just from the water

dribbling down through the tower leg cut-outs). Heck, it may have been even more, but my battery was still connected and the bilge pump

could/should have drained any excess. The 15 gallons was pretty much confined to my ski locker, which is the low spot while my boat sits

on my trailer.

The closest I ever came to forgetting the plug was, I put the rear plug in only finger tight, meaning to rap a wrench but forgot. Just so happen to be the coldest day and the coldest water. I jumped in, with trunks only, and tightened it down.

Mine stays finger tight all the time so that I can pull as I pull up the ramp if its not busy, you should have been fine unless you have really weak hands and wrists....

Haven't done it myself. If I take it out I put a carabiner on the steering wheel. And my wife and I always ask each other if the blower is on, plugs are in, and straps undone. Every time, regardless of if we think the other has thought of it.

However, I did watch the coast guard put in one of their nice cruisers at our lake for a holiday.... and then 5 minutes later, panic and yell "bring it back, bring it back!"

They forgot the plug. And that was the United States Coast Guard.

• Like 3

I left mine out when I was doing some work on my trailer. I was going to tie the boat up to the dock, replace a bunk and carpet and then put it back on the trailer. I realized the plug wasn't in while I pulled up the ramp. I quickly backed back down and loaded on the trailer. Pulled it out of the water and let 'er drain. I didn't look inside the bilge but was amazed at how much water got in there in a short amount of time.

I had a similar brain fart last year. I was loading the boat on the trailer at day's end, and as per usual, I removed the center plug to drain out the bilge while I'm being pulled out on the trailer. However this time we were taking a moment to unload some gear while the boat was still in the water....It took me a few moments to understand why water was coming in rather than draining out. Good news was I was on the trailer, but it was a head scratcher for a moment.

Edited by 09vRide

When Im deployed and my wife is planning on taking the boat out with her friends I leave sticky note clues near the drain holes are for her to find the hidden plugs. Basically its a scavenger hunt for time until the boat sinks. I double my ins coverage during these periods.

Got to call mild BS on all of these schemes (carabineers, tags, etc.) for remembering the plug(s). If you MUST remove it after your trip just ended, as soon as you get to where you store the boat, put it back in right then. Why not? Any water you needed to drain will be done draining by then. You will never launch without the plug in again. Simply stuff.

Got to call mild BS on all of these schemes (carabineers, tags, etc.) for remembering the plug(s). If you MUST remove it after your trip just ended, as soon as you get to where you store the boat, put it back in right then. Why not? Any water you needed to drain will be done draining by then. You will never launch without the plug in again. Simply stuff.

Illegal to tow without having plug out in MN.

For us, my plug screws into the handle of my orange plug wrench. Haven't managed to launch without it yet, but have forgotten to remove the transom straps .

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3

Left mine out last year, but the bulkhead plug between the ski locker and engine compartment was closed. I pulled up to the dock and wondered how the floor go wet, water was coming through the ski locker door. Luckily I had the plug in the glove box. Bow was sitting a little lower than normal...

Illegal to tow without having plug out in MN.

For us, my plug screws into the handle of my orange plug wrench. Haven't managed to launch without it yet, but have forgotten to remove the transom straps .

What's the rationale for that law?

Funniest one for me was this summer with the inlaws response. It lives on a lift so they are not used to dealing with plug. Backed it down a sand covered ramp up north and got trailer stuck, far enough in for the boat to start filling with water. Once the bilge kicked in he grabbed the plug and ducked under the platform to put it in, dropped it in the sand and it was lost. We were in the water watching this. Turned out neither of us had a spare plug. Grabbed my truck and pulled him out while his wife ran to town for a plug. We both have spares now;)