Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BOARD STORAGE IN THE BOAT?

whatshesaid

Our new 2016 23LSV has very litte board storage....... I did not even think about this before the purchase, but looking for solutions!? Our old boat 2011 Tige RZ2 we could store 2-3 surf boards with a wakeboard on top of that on each side of the engine, and 2 surf boards in the observer seat. So thats 9-10 boards inside storge that i did not have to worry about during the drive to the lake (20 miles on the highway @ 70mph).

We have 3 batterys under the observer's seat cushion in the Malibu, but i have managed to get one surf board in there, one wakeskate in Vdrive hatch, and have been putting one wakeboard in the floor of the boat that i really do not like to do, and it has already put i mark in the flooring :-(. Im affraid the wakeboard in the floor will fly out...?

I can always put surf boards in the back seat of the truck, but if the kids and friends ride with us there is no room. Grrrrr!

How have yall been storing boards for travel? Back of the truck? How do you secure them? Any other boat oganization tips would be help full to, Life jackets, anchors, kids toys- where is the best place to store them?

I leave my wind block in and throw the boards on the floor. I try to arrange them in a Tetris fashion. I haven't had a problem and I trailer quite a bit. Latel, I have been putting surf boards in the drivers seat from under the helm to the top of the seat back, I then slide the seat forward and tilt the steering wheel down to lock them in. Again, no problems. If I have a full load, like when going camping, I use one of those bungee net things that are used for a bed of a truck and cover the cabin area of the boat.

• Like 2

A bungee net may would work for the bed of the truck if we are not going camping with a bed full of stuff. What do you hook the clips to in the boat with the bungee net?

Two Thule tailgaters under bimini on tower tubes...2 surf boards both in separate socks ratcheted down...they don't move. YOu could probably buy four of Thule and get 4 boards up there

post-25391-0-11232000-1442955863_thumb.j

A bungee net may would work for the bed of the truck if we are not going camping with a bed full of stuff. What do you hook the clips to in the boat with the bungee net?

Cleats on the sides, I use a bungee cord to attach to the windshield supports on walkway and the pop up ski pylon in the rear. Then just pull it all tight.

Two Thule tailgaters under bimini on tower tubes...2 surf boards both in separate socks ratcheted down...they don't move. YOu could probably buy four of Thule and get 4 boards up there

I tried to search for Thule Tailgaters - only found a pad for the tailgate...got a link to exactly what you are talking about?

nyryan2001, I can only get a wakeskate in the vdrive trunks. The door openings are very small because of the activity seat/coolers at the rear of the new boats.

Kalamazoo, i have been thinking about something like that, because i built one with wood for storing them in the garage. Do you put a bungee on them?

I think this is a major shortcoming on these boats. Same thing here, I didn't think ahead when purchasing to bring all my gear down and test load it, guess I just assumed this had been thought through by Malibu.

I can get one wakeboard under the port midship seat, but only one. At first I liked the new battery position under the seat as I thought it would lend to storing boards forward under the dash, but only my skim barely fits in there. If the batteries were farther back you could lay a bunch of surfboards under there.

My old boat all boards stacked in the rear locker.

I bought board bags for my surfboards and they go on the floor behind my wind damn, but it bothers me every time I do it from the standpoint that board storage should have been worked into the boat design.

Edited by klewislx

Man I've never seen this as an issue at all. I trailer minimum 100 miles per day-at-the-lake. All with boards on the floor. Never had an issue in thousands and thousands of miles. As soon as we get to the lake the boards go in the racks and we launch the boat. What's the big deal?

Not a big deal for me at the moment. I can get the 3 kids wakeboards (121 and under) in the back lockers with 2 skates, 1 under the side seat and 2 in bags on the floor with 1 surfboard.

In a couple of years though that will turn into 6 boards on the floor and we are looking for a foil as well.

We normally travel with the cover on mainly to stop stuff being lifted when we stop on the way home.

nyryan2001, I can only get a wakeskate in the vdrive trunks. The door openings are very small because of the activity seat/coolers at the rear of the new boats.

Kalamazoo, i have been thinking about something like that, because i built one with wood for storing them in the garage. Do you put a bungee on them?

I have...but not sure if it's really needed.

This is one thing Malibu should correct. I believe that you should be able to fit at least 1 full size wakeboard in each rear trunk side on the VLX and longer models. If that not attainable, they should have a surf storage system on the transom similar to what Tige(?) is doing.