Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help in surf board choice

goridedoo

So I'm sure this topic just gets beat up in here, but I figure i'll start my own topic based specifically on what I am going to be needing and wanting.

Ok, never surfed in my life but I am planning on ordering a boat sometime here in the next couple of months, as of right now I am looking at a T23, so should be dealing with a pretty good wave. I am hoping to buy a couple of boards, 2 possibly 3 dependent on price of what I end up with. Kind of hoping to get in on some decent prices on leftover 15 stuff, or maybe some black friday sales when that time comes. My crew will vary greatly from 100lb girls to guys in the upper 200s. I am 6'2 165. Everyone will be first timers or beginners.

Heres what I am thinking- A small person board for myself and the girls, and big guy board for my buddys who are mostly all 200lbs plus.

I am kind of thinking a victoria factor looks to be a good option for the girls and I. Sounds like a good beginner and something I can progress on. Any input here?

For my heavier friends sounds like a red rocket is a good option, but it is a higher $$ board. Is there another good big guy board option thats a little cheaper? Will I be able to surf a red rocket or will it just push me back into the back of the boat? Would really like to have a big buy board that I can also cruise on.

How is the victoria debut? At $200 I wouldnt mind having one on the boat just kind of as a "beater" and a universal board that I can kind of start anyone on. Cheap is good but, I dont have a problem spending the money... if its worth spending.

This topic was kind of structured poorly and all over the place, but basically what I am asking is whats a good board that will work for small beginners and whats a good board that will work for big beginners. Any input or advice is appreciated, Thanks!

The Red Rocket is a REALLY big board. The Blue Lake is a bit smaller but will still float bigger guys and prob be a little better all around. (not very maneuverable though) But unless you find one used they are not budget boards. The IS Tako would be a good one to have as a boat board if you like the IS stuff. ( very durable ). Might look into a transom protector if none of you have surfed, its a matter of when not if you shoot a board towards the back of your brand new boat.

If you don't have someone who can teach you to surf, get a Debut to learn on and get the basics. It will get you going ropeless super quick even without knowing what you are doing. A high performance board may make it harder for you to balance and stay in the pocket because it will be overly responsive. I recommend the Small size for the girls. If you are under 140, the Large is too quick.

The Red Rocket is am amazing big guy board, but it is super hard to learn on for true beginners. For the upper 200lbs guys the big broadcast might still be the best beginner board.

Also, get all the plug and play ballast you can for the boat.

If you don't have someone who can teach you to surf, get a Debut to learn on and get the basics. It will get you going ropeless super quick even without knowing what you are doing. A high performance board may make it harder for you to balance and stay in the pocket because it will be overly responsive. I recommend the Small size for the girls. If you are under 140, the Large is too quick.

The Red Rocket is am amazing big guy board, but it is super hard to learn on for true beginners. For the upper 200lbs guys the big broadcast might still be the best beginner board.

Also, get all the plug and play ballast you can for the boat.

Great advice, the only thing I'd add is..... (predictably) ........

I'd definitely go with the CWB Tsunami for the bigger guys (that's assuming the big guys are 225# and under). If for no other reason than it will perform for a lot wider weight & skill range than the Broadcast will. The Tsunami will be fine for anyone 140-225# on that size wave........and will service anyone from a beginner to advanced rider well.

Read some pretty good reviews on the the cwb tsunami. Thinking I will probably go with that for the bigger guys and myself and a small debut for the girls. I think that will be a good starting point.

I see alot of boards are sold out on many sites. When do the 2016 models typically come out?

Any advice on where to order from? Im a member over on the axis forum too and it looks like board stop supports them. I see I can get the tsunami for a good price on boardco right now.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up ordering a Tsunami, it showed up this morning. Did a little research on wakeboards too and ordered a Liquid Force trip with bindings yesterday, figured I can't really go wrong there for under 300 shipped. Gonna just try to get everything I need ordered for the boat over the next 6 months here so I dont end up having to get it all at once. I think I will end up getting both the smaller and larger debut, they are cheap enough, and if they are the easiest to start on I might as well have them since everyone on the boat will be beginners. I will be sure to post pics when I get the boat! Thanks again guys