Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fiberglass hull repair/ swim platform bracket

Mackie 12

Morning Crew,

So I figured out that while hauling the boat back to the cabin that a guy cannot ride on the swim platform..........The center bracket pulled right out from the hull,screws and all! My question is how do I repair this? Do I patch the holes then just screw the bracket back in?

This is on a 98 sportster.

The only downside to that is I have to remove the fuel tank to access the bolts to install nuts.

1/2 hour tops on removal, the same to install.

But, while you are back there you will probably notice all the blow-by from 1998 to today, and will spend 3 hours cleaning it.

Yep, already had it out.......a month ago! hardest part is getting at the nuts to loosen the backseat! should a guy fishplate the other side just for extra support you think?

Yep, already had it out.......a month ago! hardest part is getting at the nuts to loosen the backseat! should a guy fishplate the other side just for extra support you think?

I would install a backing plate just to spread the load and possibly prevent any stress cracking around the bolt holes in the future. An aluminum plate held in place by some 3M marine adhesive would do the trick I would think.

Others may have some better ideas! Good luck!

• Like 1