Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mission Surf Gate reviews?

timelinex

I've been spending alot of time trying to get a good wave going on my 23lsv. I got all my ballasts full (except opposite surf side), manual wedge down and an 1100 in the surfside locker (filled to maybe 800ish) going somewhere between 9.6 and 10.6 (don't remember last time out). I know to make the wave better I need to load up the front much heavier, which is an extra hassle. I specifically plumbed in my 1100 rear bag, so that I don't have to deal with external pumps.

I came across Mission Surf Gate by another forum member raving about it in a different topic.

I know there have been alot of threads with DIY stuff, but I'm generally really busy. So if for $350ish I can buy something that will make a great wave and its super fast/easy on and off, that would be a winner for me.

Anyone have any reviews on this, or similar?

Edited by timelinex

timelinex, not sure if you are talking about my comments on this from the weekend or not.

I bought one for my 2009 VLX. I had previously been running full MLS except empty on non surf side and a 550lb pnp bag in the right rear locker, wedge 2 clicks up from fully deployed. I could go ropeless on a hyperlite broadcast and I am 6'2" 250lbs ish. I had to surf very close to the boat, but could do it. I had to surf at 9.6mph though, which everyone on here was saying was way too slow. But if I went any faster i would lose all the height.

I ordered the left side (I surf goofy) and it arrived Friday. Awesome communication from Kris at Mission, he sent it out when he said he would and it was on my step in a couple days (and I am in Canada).

Product is very well built and super sturdy. Mounted in seconds to the platform, clamped on super tight, no wiggle or anything. Had just me, my wife and two skinny kids aged 13 and 14 in the boat. Filled all MLS, same wedge and both 550lb bags. I hit the gas, and was still looking forward when I heard my wife say something along the lines of "UMMMMMMMM". I thought maybe it fell off, i looked back and the wave was huge and clean. It looked to be twice the size as before. Was surfing at 11.2mph with the gate (according to speedo, not GPS so not sure how accurate).

I know, no pics it didn't happen, but my wife was driving, I was surfing and my 14 year old didn't get any pics worth posting. I was easily twice as far from the boat.

I didn't get it dialed in, I was freezing, and the boat got pulled for the season after around a half hour of surfing.

The cost to get it to Canada was high. Was just shy of $700 canadian bucks with the product, shipping, duty and exchange rate. That being said, it was worth it. Can't wait to get it out in the spring again and try it. Was nice to not have the boat listed, my wife enjoyed driving much more this way.

The only downside (aside from the cost) was that it was (obviously) like a rudder and did NOT want to turn right whatsoever when she was coming back to pick me up. Only one friend surfs regular, the rest and me and my boy surf goofy, so luckily I only needed to buy one side...

I have the wickedwake, similar to the mission product. Great product but you will have to load the opposite side as well and you still need the bow ballast. It does make the wake less fussy and a lot longer. I have the same hull and everything I have tried, and read, you need the bow ballast no matter what.

I've been spending alot of time trying to get a good wave going on my 23lsv. I got all my ballasts full (except opposite surf side), manual wedge down and an 1100 in the surfside locker (filled to maybe 800ish) going somewhere between 9.6 and 10.6 (don't remember last time out). I know to make the wave better I need to load up the front much heavier, which is an extra hassle. I specifically plumbed in my 1100 rear bag, so that I don't have to deal with external pumps.

I came across Mission Surf Gate by another forum member raving about it in a different topic.

I know there have been alot of threads with DIY stuff, but I'm generally really busy. So if for $350ish I can buy something that will make a great wave and its super fast/easy on and off, that would be a winner for me.

Anyone have any reviews on this, or similar?

You could go that route, or you could explore other ways to improve your wave. Your current setup needs work imho.

What about driving the boat itself with the gate on? Does it pull hard to the left?

Oh heck yeah. That's what made me so determined to automate my gates. Driving our boat with a manual gate was like steering a canoe with someone dragging a paddle on one side. I believe the smaller the boat and/or bigger the gate the more pronounced this is. Regardless I think turning against the gate is very difficult.

• Like 1

timelinex, not sure if you are talking about my comments on this from the weekend or not.

I bought one for my 2009 VLX. I had previously been running full MLS except empty on non surf side and a 550lb pnp bag in the right rear locker, wedge 2 clicks up from fully deployed. I could go ropeless on a hyperlite broadcast and I am 6'2" 250lbs ish. I had to surf very close to the boat, but could do it. I had to surf at 9.6mph though, which everyone on here was saying was way too slow. But if I went any faster i would lose all the height.

I ordered the left side (I surf goofy) and it arrived Friday. Awesome communication from Kris at Mission, he sent it out when he said he would and it was on my step in a couple days (and I am in Canada).

Product is very well built and super sturdy. Mounted in seconds to the platform, clamped on super tight, no wiggle or anything. Had just me, my wife and two skinny kids aged 13 and 14 in the boat. Filled all MLS, same wedge and both 550lb bags. I hit the gas, and was still looking forward when I heard my wife say something along the lines of "UMMMMMMMM". I thought maybe it fell off, i looked back and the wave was huge and clean. It looked to be twice the size as before. Was surfing at 11.2mph with the gate (according to speedo, not GPS so not sure how accurate).

I know, no pics it didn't happen, but my wife was driving, I was surfing and my 14 year old didn't get any pics worth posting. I was easily twice as far from the boat.

I didn't get it dialed in, I was freezing, and the boat got pulled for the season after around a half hour of surfing.

The cost to get it to Canada was high. Was just shy of $700 canadian bucks with the product, shipping, duty and exchange rate. That being said, it was worth it. Can't wait to get it out in the spring again and try it. Was nice to not have the boat listed, my wife enjoyed driving much more this way.

The only downside (aside from the cost) was that it was (obviously) like a rudder and did NOT want to turn right whatsoever when she was coming back to pick me up. Only one friend surfs regular, the rest and me and my boy surf goofy, so luckily I only needed to buy one side...

I have the 23LSV not the VLX, but everything else you say is so spot on with my experience. I have a little more weight in the locker, but really its about the same wave as when I filled up a 400ish lb bag in there. I even have the same board! The hyperlight broadcast 5'6". I generally don't have any issues staying behind the boat ropeless (speed usually around 9.6 as well, a little faster with the heavier weight). My main complaint is that the sweet spot is DIRECTLY behind the boat, and its very short. Once your a few feet away from the sweet spot, thats it, there is no getting back. So it's definitely still fun to surf, but I can't try anything new because I have no room for error.

Anyways, I recognize that I need alot more bow weight to make the wave better. When I had 200lb more up there, the wave didn't look any different but it had alot more push and the sweet spot was a bit longer. What a difference it was, just relaxing, instead of constantly 'micromanaging' your position. So I can imagine putting even more weight will continue making the wave better.

I will do this if needed, but if there is a solution like yours, without the extra hassle. I'm all for it.

I have the wickedwake, similar to the mission product. Great product but you will have to load the opposite side as well and you still need the bow ballast. It does make the wake less fussy and a lot longer. I have the same hull and everything I have tried, and read, you need the bow ballast no matter what.

Can you expand on why you think the bow ballast is needed either way? It seems like the one guy commenting on the experience is saying he didn't use any extra bow ballasts and seems to be raving about the result.

I'm not doubting what you are saying, I just have no experience with it and I am seeing two opposing views.

You could go that route, or you could explore other ways to improve your wave. Your current setup needs work imho.

Please let me know what you would do to improve my current setup. I don't have any friends with boats or that do this stuff here. So I have noone with experience to help me or give me tips.. My current setups are the result of my own experimentation (with no experience) or from what I have read here online.

All I know is that I don't get to go out on the boat as much as I would like, so when I do , I want to spend as much time enjoying it.... So sometimes I settle for good enough... Otherwis eI would be spending all day experimenting and my chance to go out on the lake and have fun turns out not so fun and everyone else anxious to finally go ride.

Edited by timelinex

For starters, order yourself a tube sac (400lbs) and run it under your observer seat. You can get this plumbed in, or just fill it with a pump (this is what I do until I get it plumbed in with a reversible Jabsco). After that look at adding some weight in the bow. Run full MLS except non surf side, wedge fully deployed, crank the speed to 10.6-11 as you get comfortable with it. For what its worth, Filling/emptying the tube sac takes about 3-4 minutes and at that point the rider is getting their board/vest and rope ready. I don't find it to be a pain in the interim.

Edited by saxton15
  • Like 2

For starters, order yourself a tube sac (400lbs) and run it under your observer seat. You can get this plumbed in, or just fill it with a pump (this is what I do until I get it plumbed in with a reversible Jabsco). After that look at adding some weight in the bow. Run full MLS except non surf side, wedge fully deployed, crank the speed to 10.6-11 as you get comfortable with it. For what its worth, Filling/emptying the tube sac takes about 3-4 minutes and at that point the rider is getting their board/vest and rope ready. I don't find it to be a pain in the interim.

I have a bunch of sacs, including a tube sac (a bunch came with the boat). The issue is that filling and draining most certainly does NOT take 3 minutes for me. Filling isn't too difficult, but I basically have to babysit the pump on draining. Otherwise it always hits air and stops draining. Then every so often it pops off or is bumped and bags start spilling. I'm not saying its not possible or that its too big a deal... I'm just saying its a big hassle. Which I will do, unless there is a much easier solution (like spending a minute attaching a piece of plastic to my teak deck).

Slightly off topic but I just read about putting lead weight in the bow. What a great idea. I'm really liking this. Buying 6 bags of 50lb weights that can be moved around. 100lb can always sit in the bow with no difference and the other 200lb can easily be put in other areas of the boat when its not needed (with no consequences). The only part I don't like is it is kinda pricey for what it is.....But I might just swallow the cost for convenience. Anyone know where I can get something like this in Phoenix for a reasonable price? I'm guessing shipping something so heavy is part of the reason for the high cost elsewhere.

Edited by timelinex

I have a bunch of sacs, including a tube sac (a bunch came with the boat). The issue is that filling and draining most certainly does NOT take 3 minutes for me. Filling isn't too difficult, but I basically have to babysit the pump on draining. Otherwise it always hits air and stops draining. Then every so often it pops off or is bumped and bags start spilling. I'm not saying its not possible or that its too big a deal... I'm just saying its a big hassle. Which I will do, unless there is a much easier solution (like spending a minute attaching a piece of plastic to my teak deck).

Slightly off topic but I just read about putting lead weight in the bow. What a great idea. I'm really liking this. Buying 6 bags of 50lb weights that can be moved around. 100lb can always sit in the bow with no difference and the other 200lb can easily be put in other areas of the boat when its not needed (with no consequences). The only part I don't like is it is kinda pricey for what it is.....But I might just swallow the cost for convenience. Anyone know where I can get something like this in Phoenix for a reasonable price? I'm guessing shipping something so heavy is part of the reason for the high cost elsewhere.

Check out Bombwake for weight. Good decent product reasonably priced.

Start by filling all MLS even non surf side.

Fill the rear sack and tube sack and move lead to the front surf side.

Speed is very important with the 23 LSV. Too slow and the wave is short and soft. We surf my boat at 12.6 and this is what makes the wave nice and long.

If you buy 500# in lead put about 150 in front, 150 midship and 200 in the back locker. If you have to tow long distances I might skip the back locker as its the toughest to move the weight around......I leave mine in there all the time but then I live 10 minutes from the ramp.

Also, I have had a custom sack made for mine that fills the rear locker and all the way up under the seats. This is fed by two reversible pumps. My boat sets up/ drains in less then 5 minutes. In fact the MLS is slower then the custom sack. We are always waiting for the center tank to finish filling. Its soooo easy really.

Another thing to consider.

Check out Bombwake for weight. Good decent product reasonably priced.

Start by filling all MLS even non surf side.

Fill the rear sack and tube sack and move lead to the front surf side.

Speed is very important with the 23 LSV. Too slow and the wave is short and soft. We surf my boat at 12.6 and this is what makes the wave nice and long.

If you buy 500# in lead put about 150 in front, 150 midship and 200 in the back locker. If you have to tow long distances I might skip the back locker as its the toughest to move the weight around......I leave mine in there all the time but then I live 10 minutes from the ramp.

Also, I have had a custom sack made for mine that fills the rear locker and all the way up under the seats. This is fed by two reversible pumps. My boat sets up/ drains in less then 5 minutes. In fact the MLS is slower then the custom sack. We are always waiting for the center tank to finish filling. Its soooo easy really.

Another thing to consider.

Your saying out of the 500, to put only 150 in the front?? Or is that referring to the distribution when the boat is out of the water. My boat is parked on its trailer right by the ramp in a parking lot.... so transportation is not an issue. I can't imagine 400LB more anywhere would be an issue, for purely storage and not driving. Thats 2 people in the boat.

The only way to improve your fill times is to plumb in the additional bags on reversible pumps or get a custom sack like LBJ's. They have it on Wakemakers.com

I actually have no complaints with fill or drain times. I have to ride out to a board spot anyways, which takes 10 minutes. So that isn't an issue. The issue is having to setup and also micromanage filling or draining. I've already installed the plumbed in wakemakers system with an 1100 lb bag in the locker. I know that they make a custom bag that also goes all the way under the seats as well (replacing a tube sack). However at $600 I'm not really excited about that investment, which still leaves me with needing to weigh down the front.

Thanks for the advice though. I will try to add a tube sack on the side and put 300-400 lb in the front with sacks to see if it makes a great wave. If it does then I will figure out a way to make it work.

Edited by timelinex

Not sure whose comments you are talking about but if it is dexcopper he has the vlx not lsv, they might not need the bow weight. I have found, especially on a listed wake, the bow weight really lengthens the wave. I would like to do the lead but I fill a triangle bag full. It says it holds a thousand but I doubt it does, still more lead than I would want.

I think I am going to do three reversible pumps this winter. I too hate babysitting bags, I just hate a bad wave worse.

Your saying out of the 500, to put only 150 in the front?? Or is that referring to the distribution when the boat is out of the water. My boat is parked on its trailer right by the ramp in a parking lot.... so transportation is not an issue. I can't imagine 400LB more anywhere would be an issue, for purely storage and not driving. Thats 2 people in the boat.

I actually have no complaints with fill or drain times. I have to ride out to a board spot anyways, which takes 10 minutes. So that isn't an issue. The issue is having to setup and also micromanage filling or draining. I've already installed the plumbed in wakemakers system with an 1100 lb bag in the locker. I know that they make a custom bag that also goes all the way under the seats as well (replacing a tube sack). However at $600 I'm not really excited about that investment, which still leaves me with needing to weigh down the front.

Thanks for the advice though. I will try to add a tube sack on the side and put 300-400 lb in the front with sacks to see if it makes a great wave. If it does then I will figure out a way to make it work.

Yes, really you only need 150.....IF......you have MLS bow ballast and you increase your speed. If you want the wave longer speed is key on the bigger boats. I don't think it holds true with the 21 footers but definitely for the 23s and 247s. Trust me.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Yes, really you only need 150.....IF......you have MLS bow ballast and you increase your speed. If you want the wave longer speed is key on the bigger boats. I don't think it holds true with the 21 footers but definitely for the 23s and 247s. Trust me.

OK, So then with your advice this is what I'm trying next time I go out.

-ALL MLS full(200 each rear,500 center, 200 front)

-Manual Wedge Down

-800-900lb Extra with ballast bag in ski locker.

-150 lb extra in the bow

-300-400ish observers side (not sure exact weight of tube sock)

Then I'm gonna go 12.6mph (give or take a little).

This is the combination that you are saying should create a nice long wave behind our 23lsv? (I have a 2007 and you have aa 2011, but I'm guessing close enough?)

Edited by timelinex
  • Like 1

OK, So then with your advice this is what I'm trying next time I go out.

-ALL MLS full(200 each rear,500 center, 200 front)

-Manual Wedge Down

-800-900lb Extra with ballast bag in ski locker.

-150 lb extra in the bow

-300-400ish observers side (not sure exact weight of tube sock)

Then I'm gonna go 12.6mph (give or take a little).

This is the combination that you are saying should create a nice long wave behind our 23lsv? (I have a 2007 and you have aa 2011, but I'm guessing close enough?)

Right. And if your inclined purchase that extra lead and put it along the surf side towards the back. 12.6 is the sweet spot for my boat but yours might differ a bit. I would start at 11 and bump it up from there.

Awesome, can't wait to try it out. Replacing my broken prop today after work and should be out on the lake this weekend.

I'll let you guys know if this is the winning combination for my boat as well. If it is, I'll have to make a large lead purchase to replace the tube and front ballast haha

From the boat, what am I looking for to know it's the right speed. With my slower speed and less weight, I generally go for the speed where the wave arch's the highest but doesn't start washing out. Would this be what I'm looking for now too, just further from the boat?

Well I went out and tried your guys recommendations. Unfortunately It was a big fail. The resulting wave was AT BEST about as good as the one I used to make. This is what I did:

ALL stock Ballasts full.

700-800lb rear surf locker

400ish under the surf side observers seat

200-400 in the bow surf side (tried many variations)

The wave was a bit longer, but the push was much worse. The 'sweet spot' was much longer, in the sense that the best push was uniform over a longer part of the wave.... But that doesnt really help when the push is so bad that I have to fight just to stay in wave.

I drained the non-surf stock ballast and slowed it down a little bit. That helped a little bit. The result was a wave that had a decent push and maybe just a smidge longer than my previous setup. Definitely not worth the hassle of externally filling up 2 more ballasts with 800lb more and how much harder the boat was to drive.

There is 1 thing I did learn out of the day though...... With my last setup the perfect wave was between 9.6 and 10.2 (depending on day) which everyone said was too slow. However, I used my phone gps to find out that my speedo is off by .6-1mph (depending on the speed). So even at 9.6, that is more like 10.4 and at 10.2 that was more like 11mph.

So I guess my complaint remains.... The wave my boat creates at the best combination I have tried, is at best a strong push but not a long sweet spot. Which is what I'm hoping this surf gate will help.

Edited by timelinex

Didn't get to try it on the water, but snapped a few pics of the test fit:

IMG_20150928_125021636_zps6gt6xb5i.jpg

IMG_20150928_125029458_HDR_zpsyoxbjmfp.j

IMG_20150928_125048777_zpsobctdx6d.jpg

IMG_20150928_125056219_HDR_zpsbmyhim51.j

This thing is Nice!!! Way better than strapping some cutting boards, or velcro a skate ramp on your boat. The materials and workmanship are really nice, the design is nice as well. Only thing to make it better would be to have 1 that could fit on both sides. It's a little too bulky to have 2 of these stored on the boat. I got it to experiment before I come up with an automated system. I'll update after i get some surfing done.

• Like 2

Where was your wedge?

Down. I have a manual wedge, so its either up or down. I forgot to mention it, since its always down for all sports.

Didn't get to try it on the water, but snapped a few pics of the test fit:

This thing is Nice!!! Way better than strapping some cutting boards, or velcro a skate ramp on your boat. The materials and workmanship are really nice, the design is nice as well. Only thing to make it better would be to have 1 that could fit on both sides. It's a little too bulky to have 2 of these stored on the boat. I got it to experiment before I come up with an automated system. I'll update after i get some surfing done.

Thanks for the pics. Let us know how it works out for you.