Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim platform flipped up and ripped surf gate actuator off!

MXZINNC

Cruising along at around 20 mph hit a few small waves and hear a weird noise... Turn around and the swim platform is 45 degrees up! Stop quickly and found all the screws on the port side had pulled out. Since the platform went 45 degrees it ripped the surf gate actuator bolts out of the boat. The gate is fine, but the three screws are ripped out.

Crazy stuff. I had just tightened two of the screws in the storage unit before heading to the lake. The rest were tight.

Pics:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/tortoise944/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/tortoise944/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpeg

Edited by MXZINNC

That's crazy. Are the screws/bolts still in the platform, or did you lose them in the water? Are the support brackets threaded, or is the platform through-bolted to the brackets?

It was the screws that attach the platform to its bracket. The bracket itself is still firmly attached to the boat. The actuator is more annoying, as it ripped those screws out of the hull.

I wonder which one happened first and caused the other?

The platform definitely happened first. The surf gate is still attached and was not deployed so the only way the actuator could rip off was the swim platform detaching from its support bracket and hitting it.

Hopefully can get a fast repair so I can still enjoy the last few weeks of summer weather!

So got the final word from the dealer. The power wedge seems to have lost its calibration slightly... It says it's fully retracted but it was still physically down a notch or two. So that caused water to push up on the swim platform and eventually work the screws out.

Looking at how the surf gate hydrolics are screwed on does not give a lot of confidence... The screws are tiny and directly into the transom. When people have surfgate issues the dealer always replaces those screws with through bolts now to make it attach stronger.

So should be all fixed in a few days. Crazy stuff!

So got the final word from the dealer. The power wedge seems to have lost its calibration slightly... It says it's fully retracted but it was still physically down a notch or two. So that caused water to push up on the swim platform and eventually work the screws out.

Looking at how the surf gate hydrolics are screwed on does not give a lot of confidence... The screws are tiny and directly into the transom. When people have surfgate issues the dealer always replaces those screws with through bolts now to make it attach stronger.

So should be all fixed in a few days. Crazy stuff!

BUT, still have some season left