Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

10 Hour Service

Mattb422

15 22 vlx with 350 idmar

States in the the idmar book to change all fluids: trans drive, motor etc

but malibu states 10 hr service that only need motor oil change

So my dealer only did the motor oil nothing else, does that sound correct

(and FYI sales guy throw in the first service for free)

Nope. Manual specifies vdrive and transmission oil change as well. My first service I changed all fluids and checked prop shaft flange alignment. The alignment was way out......

• Like 2

think about it, one of the primary reasons to change the oil at 10 hours...is to flush out any shavings, metal fragments, clutch fragments that are floating around!! and maybe bubble gum, and lord knows what else that could have fallen into the putting together process. There are several post about wrenches, tools found in crevices and the like by their new owners! Fragments that could later do serious damage. So why would you not change the transmissioin oil?? cheap insurance on your how many $1,000's investment. CHANGE ALL FLUIDS at 10 hours! except the battery!!

ANd DO NOT believe a word the Malibu Owner's Manual says. Cause if you really read it, you'll find there are many, many contradictions, innaccurate statements, and some good ole gibberish. One section or chapter will tell you one grade of oil to use, and the next chapter will tell you to use a different grade of oil.

ANd your dealer says only the engine oil, cause he does not want to spend any more time and money than he has to.

The 10 hour also includes checking alignment and other stuff.

Edited by DOOFUSisaCAT

great spent 80k and cant trust dealer, i am just going to email the service manager back and ask about the other fluids because they are not listed on the service order. Its a shame because sales guy was cool as hell but got a feeling the service side of things don't go so smooth

and yes i can do the service myself but i was like what hell its free let them take care of it

Edited by Mattb422

On your smaller screen to the right go into the settings section and scroll to service, it lays it out on the screen what needs to be done at each service interval. Pretty sure it says change all fluids in there too.

Hit your dealer back, you want all that stuff done for sure and since it's free.

I believe my 10 Hour service had multiple liquids changed out and filters all replaced. Filters were mainly replaced due to possibility of debris from new pipes,hoses etc that may have had sediment or debris in them.

the sales guys live on a different planet than the service guys. The sales guys are the sales guys cause they are better BSers than the service guys! The sales guys may not even know the services guys names.

Not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure the warranty can be voided if the 10 hour service is not done and done my a Malibu authorized shop.

Edited by DOOFUSisaCAT

the sales guys live on a different planet than the service guys. The sales guys are the sales guys cause they are better BSers than the service guys! The sales guys may not even know the services guys names.

Not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure the warranty can be voided if the 10 hour service is not done and done my a Malibu authorized shop.

I may not be a malibu dealer but as of now i think i have a better chance keeping the boat running better then the real dealer

• Like 1

im going to check my facts first before i call or email about anything, i want to pull the manual and take picture of maintenance schedule (idmar's maintenance schedule not malibus)

This is from my service ticket,

Job 5 - 10 hour oil change List cost totals

1 S872023 Indmar Oil Filter - GM 350 (Replaces PZ-52) $7.30 $7.30

1 PEN 550022734 PENNZOIL MARINE HD 15W40 GAL@3 $16.81 $16.81

1 PEN 1745 PENNZOIL MARINE SAE 15W40 QT $3.98 $3.98 $28.09

0.75 Shop Labor Technician: Don $119.00 $89.25 $89.25

Job 5 (Internal) Total $0.00

Edited by Mattb422

Yes as in a previous post in a different topic, I said I do all my maint. to ensure it is done correctly!

And the Penzoil oil filter is one of the cheapest POS you can put on your engine. Penzoil does not make their own filters and the internals are cheap. You spend lots of money for the boat and oil, why be cheap with the oil filter?

and how much oil does you 350 take? from your post the dealer installed 11 quarts. WTF!!

Edited by DOOFUSisaCAT

To me it looks like they have two things going on there

one job was with the HD 15w40

and something else used the SAE 15w40

And problem is trying to get information from lady at desk/on phone is like pulling F**ing teeth

or s*** did they really put that much oil in there cant see it taking more then 5-6 quarts, i better check level before i take it back out ugh

then how is the total $28.09?? that is 7 1 qt containers. 7X3.98= $28.09......unless my math is wrong. not sure what the tax rate is.

There are several posts comparing oil filters. ANd FRAM, Penzoil, Puraltor are always at the bottom of the food chain. FRAM does make one that is better, but as you'd expect is more expensive.

How many quarts does an Indmar 350 take? All most all of the engines take 6 quarts these days. My LS3 takes 6 of Mobil 1. and of course depends on the filter size.

Edited by DOOFUSisaCAT

then how is the total $28.09?? that is 7 1 qt containers. 7X3.98= $28.09......unless my math is wrong.

There are several posts comparing oil filters. ANd FRAM, Penzoil, Puraltor are always at the bottom of the food chain. FRAM does make one that is better, but as you'd expect is more expensive.

How many quarts does an Indmar 350 take? All most all of the engines take 6 quarts these days. My LS3 takes 6 of Mobil 1. and of course depends on the filter size.

They take 5 quarts

$28.09 is the Sub total for parts $7.30 (Filter) + 16.81 (1 Gallon) + 3.98 (1 Quart) = 28.09

Edited by oldjeep

Purolator makes Pennzoil filters, I sure don't have any issue using them.

The 2 things on the sheet are a gallon of oil and a quart of oil - 5 quarts ;)

They better start buying their oil by the quart you think they would get a better price buying a gallon at a time.

(Gallon)16.81 / 4 = 4.20

Quart - 3.98

Edited by Mattb422

They better start buying their oil by the quart you think they would get a better price buying a gallon at a time.

(Gallon)16.81 / 4 = 4.20

Quart - 3.98

Still cheaper than where I bought mine ;) I find it hard to believe that a dealership uses bottles at all. You would think that a 30 or 55 gallon drum would be more appropriate for a service center.

• Like 1

great spent 80k and cant trust dealer, i am just going to email the service manager back and ask about the other fluids because they are not listed on the service order. Its a shame because sales guy was cool as hell but got a feeling the service side of things don't go so smooth

and yes i can do the service myself but i was like what hell its free let them take care of it

Peace of mind isn't free.

• Like 1

Hi guys.

I just spotted this topic as i had alreay started one in the general discussion area under "first service".

I have put on there a copy of the report on what my dealer has just done on Wednesday and already a few have questioned it..

I would be interested in your opinions

Hi guys.

I just spotted this topic as i had alreay started one in the general discussion area under "first service".

I have put on there a copy of the report on what my dealer has just done on Wednesday and already a few have questioned it..

I would be interested in your opinions

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57702-first-service-cost/page-1

Yup, looks like you got an oil change and they looked at a lot of stuff.

Yes as in a previous post in a different topic, I said I do all my maint. to ensure it is done correctly!

And the Penzoil oil filter is one of the cheapest POS you can put on your engine. Penzoil does not make their own filters and the internals are cheap. You spend lots of money for the boat and oil, why be cheap with the oil filter?

and how much oil does you 350 take? from your post the dealer installed 11 quarts. WTF!!

I only use NAPA (WIX) filters in my boat. never any problems yet!! :)