Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Water Near Houston

Primo

After years of living in NE OK and boating mostly on Table Rock in SW MO I am relocating to Houston. Anyone out there have some advice on the best lakes to go for wake boarding and surfing? I've been on Conroe, Somerville and Livingston years ago and don't think too much of them. I would be interested in the nearest decent water to get to from west Houston and the best a little further out for when I can go for more than a day. I have read that the Trinity River above Livingston is good. Any advice would be appreciated.

We always go to conroe, but you have to go waaaayyy up north on the lake to get good water. We try to go every weekend, so if you are ever on conroe hit me up and i'll show you where the good spot is! Also, if you don't mind brackish water you can hit the San Bernard river.

We always go to conroe, but you have to go waaaayyy up north on the lake to get good water. We try to go every weekend, so if you are ever on conroe hit me up and i'll show you where the good spot is! Also, if you don't mind brackish water you can hit the San Bernard river.

Conroe has good water???? I refuse Conroe!!!

Here are the best three spots in Houston.

1.) The Trinity River

2.) The Dirty T

3.) DFW sewage treatment plant.

Hope you get my humor but the Trinity is about the place I'd look at outside of private lakes and the brackish San Bernie river. You can literally ride one direction until your gas tank get's to 1/2 and then turn around and go back.

Edited by Murphy8166

After years of living in NE OK and boating mostly on Table Rock in SW MO I am relocating to Houston. Anyone out there have some advice on the best lakes to go for wake boarding and surfing? I've been on Conroe, Somerville and Livingston years ago and don't think too much of them. I would be interested in the nearest decent water to get to from west Houston and the best a little further out for when I can go for more than a day. I have read that the Trinity River above Livingston is good. Any advice would be appreciated.

Where in West Houston?

30 minutes North of Conroe there is a the Trinity River that will provide you miles of butter...

I found this http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?forecast=riversnearby&place=katy&state=tx

Don't know if that will help...

Are you looking for Fresh only water, Brackish Water, Rivers, Lakes, Combination of, or any?

1.) The Trinity River

2.) The Dirty T

Hope you get my humor but the Trinity is about the place I'd look at outside of private lakes and the brackish San Bernie river. You can literally ride one direction until your gas tank get's to 1/2 and then turn around and go back.

LOL... I get it!!

1.) The Trinity River

2.) The Dirty T

If Brackish is ok, then the Lower San Jacinto is almost always butter.. but I don't like brackish water for many reasons ;)

Can't do brackish water with my LSA engine. Trinity sounds good but what about surfing there? I'm little concerned with putting up a huge wake on a river channel and having some fisherman come flying by - close since it is only a river channel - and launching his bass boat skyward (then pulling out a gun and shooting me since all Texans carry guns ).

Edited by Primo

Conroe has good water???? I refuse Conroe!

This was a couple weekends ago, in the middle of the day. It's not glass, but for a busy lake, its pretty good. This is south of where we usually go. Anywhere else on conroe is only for partying.

12017597_10101536749513838_4290261838858

Yeah my recollection is Conroe is a bit of a zoo but way up north you could get away from that. I also recall a lot of standing timber up there. guess you would have to know the lake pretty well to know where is safe up there.

Yeah my recollection is Conroe is a bit of a zoo but way up north you could get away from that. I also recall a lot of standing timber up there. guess you would have to know the lake pretty well to know where is safe up there.

Yes, I wouldn't recommend trying to find your way up north w/o following someone who knew where they were going.

Can't do brackish water with my LSA engine. Trinity sounds good but what about surfing there? I'm little concerned with putting up a huge wake on a river channel and having some fisherman come flying by - close since it is only a river channel - and launching his bass boat skyward (then pulling out a gun and shooting me since all Texans carry guns ).

It is actually a wide river and deep (average depth is ~30ft which is deep compared to Upper San Jacinto). There are also many coves that are available also (I don't know where there are yet as most keep this as privy info and don't share :() This weekend GCWA (Gulf Coast Wakeboard Association) is holding the Fall Jam up there at Bethany Creek. It also host the Supra/Moomba Jam (Which I crashed with my LSV and took the best raffle prize :)), Centurion Fest, and others.

I have not had any issues with fisherman/other boaters there and the ones that I saw were waving and friendly.

This was a couple weekends ago, in the middle of the day. It's not glass, but for a busy lake, its pretty good. This is south of where we usually go. Anywhere else on conroe is only for partying.

I am only 5 miles from the Upper San Jac and that is where I mainly stay.... Not a great surfing river, but close and I know where to surf at.... and if it is crappy... I can voyage to Lake Houston... If I were to make a trip to Conroe, I would simply keep going North to Trinity. Not saying Conroe is all bad... I just don't know the spots and don't want to waste a day to find them ;)

I live in a neighborhood on Lake Conroe and when we want to ride we either head to The Trinity River or head west to New Braunfels, but thats about a 3 hr haul.

Conroe has a few good spots but you need to be there early in the morning or late in the evening.

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like I will be trying the trinity for sure. Anyone spent any time on Sam Rayburn or Toledo bend? I know they are big and farther out but I've never been on them so just curious.

Keep in mind the Trinity is a river...rivers have stuff that floats ur barely submerged. Been there once for a big get together with other boats and 2 hit stuff ending their weekend. Endless glass but you always take that chance on a river

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like I will be trying the trinity for sure. Anyone spent any time on Sam Rayburn or Toledo bend? I know they are big and farther out but I've never been on them so just curious.

Primo, I have never ventured to Sam Rayburn, but my granddad had a place on Toledo Bend. It was stump city from what I remember. We will be going up to the Trinity on Saturday. Not sure how busy it's going to be with the GCWA Fall Bash going on, but we will be on the water! Stop us and say hello if you make it up there, purple and white 07' RLXI.

If ya wanna go south, head to the San Bernard. Outside of Brazoria. Out in the middle of nowhere, but glass for miles and miles.

Steve B.[/quot

That would be convenient since I will probably be living in Katy. Is it brackish in that area? Consistent depth?

Sam Rayburn isn't bad. But from Katy, you are looking at a 3 hr haul. For the same distance, I'd go to Canyon Lake. One of the prettiest lakes in Texas. Clear water, deep, cool almost year round being so deep. Over 100 ft in the middle. Plenty of coves to play in with great water.

It's not a day trip from Katy, though. You'll want to say overnight. My suggestion is Turkey Cove, It's a decent lodge (cheap) that is located at one of the boat ramps. We did that for years. Go out the night before, stay there and play all day. Come back the next night or make a weekend of it.

Conroe is okay if you know where you are going. North side is the best, but stumpy getting up there. Do not venture up there for your first time by yourself. It'll cost you...literally. No experience with my own boat on the river but have been out with friends. It's not bad for a day trip. But after going to Canyon, nothing feels the same.

Unfortunately, there is nothing close by that is great. It stinks.