Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Flap Prototype V2.0

Nitrousbird

I'm sure a number of you have read my complaint thread regarding my FAE: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56799-installed-my-fae-not-overly-impressed/

In a nut shell:

- Fit kind of sucks, but I got it locked down and where it needs to be

- Lost about 5MPH on top speed

- Fumes are gone now though increased at idle; boat is quieter

And the biggest issue:

- TOTALLY screwed up my surf wake.

The FAE took a wake that was dialed in and working well and just washed the whole top of it out. Lip was nothing but wash. Where I used to just toss the rope to the other side of the wake, I could no longer do that as the lip was so washy it would just bounce back onto my side of the wake. It hurt my surfing progression and either I had to fix the wash or dump the FAE and go back to my STE tips.

I fixed the wash.

V1.0 was similar in design (though a little shorter/narrower) than what some of the Tige guys are doing. I didn't take a pic, but here is an example of a full finished one:

5C47E528-4361-4A9B-833D-B70098D158EB-912

V1.0 was awful and would have been even worse if it was a full copy of the Tige unit. It cleaned up the wave. It lengthened it too. But it took about 1/2 or more of the height away and killed the push...it was barely rideable.

We built it with two layers of gym maps, so it could be cut "easily." We created V1.1 while in the water, cutting/tearing each of the mats, taking more and more material away...each time improving the wake.

We then created V2.0, as seen below:

IMG_8256_zpsbkk764mt.jpg

IMG_8255_zpsnk5u2aky.jpg

This flap fixed the splash issue without hurting the push. The wake is even slightly longer now with the same height. I had just recently started working on 360's; last night was our first time using this and last night I was able to stick my first 360.

We will be creating the final version over the winter. We want to experiment a bit more to see if shortening the flap will have a negative impact on the wake. We want the final version to be removable and a single piece of rubber.

Nice work but I think I would have just got rid of the FAE.

I considered it. The ~$600 I have invested plus a hard resale (as very few SV23 folks have a floating wedge bracket) would be a total financial loss.

I don't get the FAE obsession. I've just never had an issue with noise or fumes when surfing. Ditch them both.

Noise wasn't a big improvement over the STE. Fumes have been an improvement - even though I never thought it was bad, I feel a lot fresher after a surf set which means I was sucking down fumes I shouldn't have been.

is reverse an option with the flap?

seems like it would have a big negative impact.

No impact at all in reverse.

Looks good. I'm hoping to the a FAE over the winter, not sure how noticeable it will be on my boat but will definitely keep this in mind. I'm still working on dialing in my wave though, one time I get it perfect it seems and then I go try do the same thing the next week and it's not nearly as good. Frustrating for sure! Glad you got yours figured out.

Nitrous, is your acceleration affected by the FAE or just top end?

Hard to tell...I've weighed it down as much as I ever had wake boarding and had no issues getting on plane. I'm also running a more powerful motor than most folks have in this hull. Gets to any speed I need quickly but falls flat at top speed.

Noise wasn't a big improvement over the STE. Fumes have been an improvement - even though I never thought it was bad, I feel a lot fresher after a surf set which means I was sucking down fumes I shouldn't have been.

I have some placebo pills you can take for that.

I have some placebo pills you can take for that.

Or perhaps you can do a little research before making BS blanket statements.

- My boat doesn't have cats, which I'm sure are on your boat. A cat equipped boat will output less CO than a catless one. So even though the motor in my boat, which is far more advanced than the GEN-I SBC in yours, may be more efficient and output less exhaust gas in general, it doesn't have catalytic converters (which weren't required back in '01), meaning your motor outputs less CO and other toxic fumes. These are facts.

- I surf behind our boat - a lot. Usually 2-3 sets per outing. It's pretty easy for me to tell how worn out/not worn out I am per set

- Noticed this same issue behind my buddy's 247 with a big-block, though his was a much bigger difference in sound/fume change than mine. His is an '06 so it is also catless.

I have not noticed any performance difference on my 410 with FAE. It has also had no affect on my surf or wakeboard wake. Definitely does help quiet the boat for surfing and wakeboarding, and helps project sound better to the riders.

The only thing I notice with FAE is a small little spray from the pipe in water at wakeboard speeds. It's very suttle and after this season I don't even notice it anymore.

Nitrous, that is a bummer you have had so many issues with it. I don't think it's the normal experience. Is your Z measurement correct?

Edited by Fman

I have not noticed any performance difference on my 410 with FAE. It has also had no affect on my surf or wakeboard wake. Definitely does help quiet the boat for surfing and wakeboarding, and helps project sound better to the riders.

The only thing I notice with FAE is a small little spray from the pipe in water at wakeboard speeds. It's very suttle and after this season I don't even notice it anymore.

Nitrous, that is a bummer you have had so many issues with it. I don't think it's the normal experience. Is your Z measurement correct?

Trust me, all measurements are correct and I've played with it. I think hull design has a decent chunk to do with it too. I've been behind TimbrSS's 247's and his FAE doesn't have any of these issues either (his is a better design as well).

Updates?

We have used it a few more times...including this past evening. It makes a noticeable difference. It also makes the boat want less front weight, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The wash is there when not ideally weighted (though greatly reduced) - fix the weight and that seems to fix the wash. Before there was no fix, it was just bad regardless of weighting.

The flap is a keeper...we will make a much better once this winter. I think I also need to get 100-150lbs of additional lead.

This is an interesting concept. I can see how it would help eliminate spray and act as a "soft" wave plate, thus slightly reducing the amount of bow weight needed.

Very curious how this would work with surf gate and power wedge.

Hmmm....

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2015 at 11:32 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I'm sure a number of you have read my complaint thread regarding my FAE: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56799-installed-my-fae-not-overly-impressed/

In a nut shell:

- Fit kind of sucks, but I got it locked down and where it needs to be

- Lost about 5MPH on top speed

- Fumes are gone now though increased at idle; boat is quieter

And the biggest issue:

- TOTALLY screwed up my surf wake.

The FAE took a wake that was dialed in and working well and just washed the whole top of it out. Lip was nothing but wash. Where I used to just toss the rope to the other side of the wake, I could no longer do that as the lip was so washy it would just bounce back onto my side of the wake. It hurt my surfing progression and either I had to fix the wash or dump the FAE and go back to my STE tips.

I fixed the wash.

V1.0 was similar in design (though a little shorter/narrower) than what some of the Tige guys are doing. I didn't take a pic, but here is an example of a full finished one:

5C47E528-4361-4A9B-833D-B70098D158EB-912

V1.0 was awful and would have been even worse if it was a full copy of the Tige unit. It cleaned up the wave. It lengthened it too. But it took about 1/2 or more of the height away and killed the push...it was barely rideable.

We built it with two layers of gym maps, so it could be cut "easily." We created V1.1 while in the water, cutting/tearing each of the mats, taking more and more material away...each time improving the wake.

We then created V2.0, as seen below:

IMG_8256_zpsbkk764mt.jpg

IMG_8255_zpsnk5u2aky.jpg

This flap fixed the splash issue without hurting the push. The wake is even slightly longer now with the same height. I had just recently started working on 360's; last night was our first time using this and last night I was able to stick my first 360.

We will be creating the final version over the winter. We want to experiment a bit more to see if shortening the flap will have a negative impact on the wake. We want the final version to be removable and a single piece of rubber.

I am trying to build one of these.  Your pics are no longer hosted so I can't see them, any chance you still have them?