Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best surfboard for surfing a dd?

Malibu Jordy

Hi guys, earlier this year I sold my malibu and bought a :shudder: 08 moomba outback ls dd with gravity 2 ballast. Like most weighted dd's the wake is tolerable for surfing but the pocket is short and the wave alot less than a v drive. I know im not the only one surfing a dd so Im looking for some info from the crew regarding the best surfboard for use behind a dd when you dont get much push from the wave. Thanks all in advance

I should also add we started on a CWB laguna and it was sluggish and couldnt go ropeless. We used a buddies phase 5 oogle and had a blast ropeless with it but lost the sweetspot in a short matter of time. We also used his hyperlite broadcast 5'6. We had fun with it but couldnt stay off the transom with it. Ill also add im 5'9 170lb and most of my crew is in that same range. I am running 650lb in the front (w711 fat sac) 1100 in the rear and 500 on the surf side.

Got any pics of your wave? I'm guessing one of two things....

1. You can build a bit better wave behind your particular boat.

2. You can improve your form a bit and be pretty darn happy on your wave.

Have you surfed much before?

I'm riding a Soulcraft Fang Tail and love it. I also have ridden a Inland Surfer Blue Lake which we have tandem surfed ropeless behind our DD Sunsetter (my wife and I on the same board), as well as a CWB Ride. The ride was the slowest of the three but I've got lots of hours on it behind our boat getting better as surfing.

There are pics of my wave in the post below. It's come a LONG was from where we started. I'm convinced with a small DD that the gated waves are the way to fly since you can safely run more weight with a lower freeboard than you can listing. Good luck!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-teakgate/?p=562368

Thanks for chiming in matt, its been a while. I have surfed a fair bit but am by no means a pro. Id say im an intermediate. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of the wave from this year and our short season has come to an end. We managed to put 40 hrs on the boat this year and a little over half of that would have been surfing. The wave is pretty decent and I would suspect you are probably right that it might be a form issue. I understand a board doesnt make you a pro overnight however, just like any sport the right gear can help point you in the right direction. Ive been looking at the marshmellow thrasher, the byerly volt and the new hyperlite broadcast hybrid. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Got any pics of your wave? I'm guessing one of two things....

1. You can build a bit better wave behind your particular boat.

2. You can improve your form a bit and be pretty darn happy on your wave.

Have you surfed much before?

I'm riding a Soulcraft Fang Tail and love it. I also have ridden a Inland Surfer Blue Lake which we have tandem surfed ropeless behind our DD Sunsetter (my wife and I on the same board), as well as a CWB Ride. The ride was the slowest of the three but I've got lots of hours on it behind our boat getting better as surfing.

There are pics of my wave in the post below. It's come a LONG was from where we started. I'm convinced with a small DD that the gated waves are the way to fly since you can safely run more weight with a lower freeboard than you can listing. Good luck!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-teakgate/?p=562368

I have DD sunsetter and built the ghetto gate. I ran 1100 behind box, 800 on each side of box, MLS (center locker) at 400, 500 center bow, and another 250 under each bow seat.

The wave was great, consistent, and pocket was extremely long. Plenty of lip to provide pop and smooth transitions.

Honestly, achieving a consistent good wake with my DD has been easier than my VDrive...

I'm not familiar with those three boards. Hopefully someone that is will chime. I do agree with you, a faster board makes a smaller was MUCH more fun. Just wanted to make sure you had some time on that board and it sounds like you've got it covered. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate everyones feedback.

Wakemiitch, Do you have any info on the marshmellow thrasher? I saw it on wakemakers and they describe it as being a perfect dd board for smaller wakes. Im a bit worried about the construction of this board though as I dont fully understand its makeup. Unfortunately not everyone is able to demo as easily as others, infact I would have to drive approx. 6.5 hours just to buy a board so im relying heavily on your feedbacks. Im also looking to keep the costs down as im sure my wife is going to kill me for spending any more money on the boat during the off season...she just doesnt get it...lol

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate everyones feedback.

Wakemiitch, Do you have any info on the marshmellow thrasher? I saw it on wakemakers and they describe it as being a perfect dd board for smaller wakes. Im a bit worried about the construction of this board though as I dont fully understand its makeup. Unfortunately not everyone is able to demo as easily as others, infact I would have to drive approx. 6.5 hours just to buy a board so im relying heavily on your feedbacks. Im also looking to keep the costs down as im sure my wife is going to kill me for spending any more money on the boat during the off season...she just doesnt get it...lol

I would be hesitant about the marshmellow thrasher because it flexs a ton which isnt great for small wakes. It flexes causing it to have too much rocker and plow. You want as much speed as possible with a small wave