Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ski locker lid

my '04 response ski locker lid needs new skin

because that lid is warped from use, i'm considering flipping the corrugated aluminum panel over when the new skin gets installed

there are two open frames under that lid that contain/secure netting for small item storage (gloves, etc.)

questions:

what are the frames on the underside of that lid made of?

how are the frames attached to the aluminum lid?

if i flip the existing corrugated aluminum panel over will it breakdown even faster than if i'd left it alone? (i could see the scenario where that panel is a mechanical system with moving parts. the moving parts was not intended but it has moved as a failure mode). will flipping it aggravate that failure mode?

thanks for the help

I had this Aluminum honeycomb covering my gas tank in my 96 VLX. When it originally started to fail (edges crushing gap developed in the front from flex) I flipped it over. This lasted less then half a summer and then was just as bad. Flipping might buy you a little time but I think the structural damage has already been done. I switched to marine plywood.

@tvano: you should be able to find the aluminum panels at places like McMaster Carr, Online Metals, Alro Steel or even try Metal Mart in Warren. You would then use the existing panel as a template to cut the new part or even have the supplier (if local) cut it for you, or a local metal shop. The danger of using marine ply is how wet do you allow your cover to get, eventually, the wood will rot (maybe at the same the aluminum panel breaks down so a guess on which way to go). You might compare the weight of the aluminum panel to what a wood one is as another selection criteria.

@tvano: you should be able to find the aluminum panels at places like McMaster Carr, Online Metals, Alro Steel or even try Metal Mart in Warren. You would then use the existing panel as a template to cut the new part or even have the supplier (if local) cut it for you, or a local metal shop. The danger of using marine ply is how wet do you allow your cover to get, eventually, the wood will rot (maybe at the same the aluminum panel breaks down so a guess on which way to go). You might compare the weight of the aluminum panel to what a wood one is as another selection criteria.

i did shop mcmaster carr but did not see anything near the size required. i'll look again, maybe i missed it.

the price is kind of staggering, too, even for the smaller pieces.

i'll consider alternative materials but am afraid i'm headed back to the aluminum.

I would be careful on material selection for a slalom guy with something at the transom. I highly recommend not adding any weight there, starboard is fairly heavy. The downside to the aluminum honeycomb is certainly price and fragility.