Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie - Boat options

7lazy77

I am new to the forum (but not boating) & have recently been in the market for a new wakeboard boat. Currently have a Chaparral Sunesta 236 deck boat & as my daughters get older & more experienced wakeboarders & beginning surfing (myself included), & I think it is time to pull the trigger. I have a couple of friends with Malibu's (03 VLX & 14 LSV), so I am sold on them! Having spent time on both of them, there are features on the VLX that I would like to have, but but features that wouldn't be a necessity for me on the LSV, so I think I have come to the middle ground on a 2005-2007 VLX or LSV, plus it should fall within my $42k budget. I would like to find a boat that would meet my family's needs for a while & don't want to find in a couple of years kicking myself in the butt because I refrained from getting a certain option. I am looking for a little assistance from the forum to help me narrow down my options for the best boat for me & my family of 5. I have a little knowledge of Malibu's, but I am by far not an expert in them yet!

One of the biggest decisions that has me caught in the middle is between the VLX & the LSV. I just dont want to get a bigger boat then what I really need (if this makes any sense). They both have their pro's & con's, but am looking for help in deciding. It would be nice to have the bigger boat & more space, but on the other hand with the hull change in 2005 to the VLX's, they are already bigger than the 2004 & earlier. Storage & hauling are not issues & not deciding factors. It is always me & my family of 5 (me, wife, 9 year old twins & an 11 year old) when we go out & the kids will eventually get bigger. Most times we have 2 other people & on very RARE occasions up to 4 more for a total of 9. I know if I decide to get the LSV, it appears that I should also get the bigger (400hp or 425hp) motor to compensate for the people weight loss when the ballasts are full, not to mention that most of the lakes that I boat at are around 4500' altitude. If there is anybody that boats around this elevation on the forum, I would appreciate any feedback on your motor size & if it is enough umph. I would hate it if I didn't get enough power & regretted it later on!......or would I better off getting the VLX (smaller & lighter) with the smaller 340hp??

Any other feedback on options that I should/should not consider is greatly appreciated.

Edited by 7lazy77

1.) If you are on the fence get the bigger boat
2.) At that altitude you can reprop to make up for the 350 motor, but as most have stated on here there is no replacement for displacement.

3.) If you can find an LSV with the 450 I think it is the way to go in your situation. Finding one in your price range may be a little harder.

Here is one close to budget with a t3 tower (lots of love on the forum for this tower with the 8.1)

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-8.1-Liter-Vortec-for-sale-Kennewick-Washington-51790.aspx

2010 with 350 g3 tower and 44k

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2010-Malibu-23-LSV-Wakesetter-for-sale-Elkton-Maryland-47460.aspx

Welcome to the Crew! Great first post. Depending where you are located with the US dollar kicking the hell out of the CDN dollar right now you should consider looking in Canada as well. Almost 30% cheaper with exchange rates.

As stated above, if you are on the fence go bigger!

Definitely worth looking up here because of the exchange but I can tell you that the used prices in Canada are higher than the used prices in the US (not always 20-30 percent t higher). Additionally, we don't have anywhere near the selection on used Bu's.

That said, anyone looking at used and willing to travel would be crazy not to look up here. Even with the exchange I'm constantly looking in the US.

What state are you located in? This will help us know if its worth the travel for a boat. I think the vlx is plenty if it is rare that you have 9 especially if some of them are smaller kids. I've had 11 adults and a dog on mine before and that was packed but doable. The extra 1.5 feet basically equates to 2 more people comfortably.

Thanks for the replies! I am from Wyoming & not afraid to travel (or pay for hauling). Sure I am fairly close to Denver, but my choices are very limited still so I have to look elsewhere. My current boat I purchased out of Pottsboro, TX because there was nothing around here like it that I was looking for at the time. I would probably be alright with the VLX, but the more research I do & posts I read, I think the LSV will be the better option for me. Would rather have too much room, than not enough. If anybody out there comes across anything, please keep me in mind.

Malibuzer & Zac......Where would I go to search for boats in Canada? I did a couple of searches on Craigslist & didn't find much on there.

Thanks robbennett!........ I saw at all those boats on craigslist. Sorry if I come off as a little "picky", but there is something (bow shape, hours, etc.) on every one of those boats that I do not like. May not be much to others, but $40k+ is a lot for me to spend on a boat & I I know it may take a little time to find the one that I am looking for (although it may not be the perfect one), but with a little patience..... something will come around.

Edited by 7lazy77

Malibuzer & Zac......Where would I go to search for boats in Canada? I did a couple of searches on Craigslist & didn't find much on there.

Thanks robbennett!........ I saw at all those boats on craigslist. Sorry if I come off as a little "picky", but there is something (bow shape, hours, etc.) on every one of those boats that I do not like. May not be much to others, but $40k+ is a lot for me to spend on a boat & I I know it may take a little time to find the one that I am looking for (although it may not be the perfect one), but with a little patience..... something will come around.

There isn't a ton on craigslist in Canada and as far as I know the only way to check Canada craigslist accurately is to go big city by big city. The good news is there isn't that many!

Another popular I site is www.kijiji.ca for boat listings. You ca search all of Canada on this site.

Also try www.autotraders.ca (they have a boat option) and has quite a few listings.

Good luck with your search!

That 06 vlx is almost exactly like mine, same tower. I just have a little less white on the top of the hull. For us we usually have 4-5 adults and a couple toddlers and the vlx still has enough space. But with 9 or more full size people it starts to get pretty cramped. but who really wants that many people on the boat, it takes for ever to get in a pull.