Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Resale value - is the stereo that important?

RedOwl

I just read through this from the start and find it interesting as well. I'm really in the "don't care about the stereo" camp, but tower speakers were a "must have" for the rest of the family.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Hint: No, they are not waving to us in the boat.

The NAE NAE! I learned it this morning! Although my whip is much better.

For me it is about leaving everyday life behind and enjoying the sounds of nice engines, water lapping against the boat nature, my families voices and my own thoughts. There was a time when you could go to the lake and get away from the neighbors stereo, not any more.

Plenty of time for stereos and other people's thoughts the rest of the week.

Nothing like Lynyrd Skynyrd on the way to the lake though!

For me it is about leaving everyday life behind and enjoying the sounds of nice engines, water lapping against the boat nature, my families voices and my own thoughts. There was a time when you could go to the lake and get away from the neighbors stereo, not any more.

Plenty of time for stereos and other people's thoughts the rest of the week.

Nothing like Lynyrd Skynyrd on the way to the lake though!

I like a little Skynyrd too, but you just dated yourself a bit. :-)

Edited by tjklein

The reason stereo nonsense begins many ads is because it was really important to the guy who put it in, but he doesn't realize that it isn't important to the next guy. Even to those of us who it is important to, we have a preconceived notion of what sounds good, and we generally may not like the current components. So finding a 'match' for the stereo is going to be very difficult. I had a lot invested in my last stereo, so it was disappointing to have nobody get excited about it. So I am still a little butt hurt.

My personal opinion is that if your buyer happens to have never had a boat with a decent stereo (like me before I had one) it wont matter. If you buyer HAS had a decent stereo (me now) it would totally matter. I never had a decent stereo before this year and I honestly didn't know what I was missing.

Now its a requirement for me :rockon:

• Like 2

I'm with Levi. It is absolutely on my list of must haves. Whether I get price to where I want so I can add stereo or do I pay extra understanding what the seller has invested in the stereo. With my boat for sale I have it listed with or without stereo. So far it's bee 50/50 on people who want & those that have said to remove it & deduct $$ from sale price.

I do think FAE should give me some commission though, everyone who has come to look at my boat has said whether they buy from me or get another one that FAE is on their must have list once I explain what it does

Edited by racer808

Jumping into this thread late but since I just bought a boat, a stereo was an important factor, but on both ends of the spectrum for me. I actually avoided or factored in a LOWER price for someone who put in a monster, over-the-top system with 4 batteries, and amps and wiring everywhere. There is a right way and a wrong way to do a custom stereo and most that "go big" do it half-arsed from the hundreds of boats I looked at. A plywood sub box taking up half the footwell below the helm? Pass. Flip up storage seat full of mis-matched batteries? Ahhhhhh.....no.

To do a big system the right way is big money. A perfect system for me is more conservative than some may like...dual battery, three amps (in boat, tower, and sub), an EQ to balance and control it, and a sealed sub in a custom enclosure under the helm that looks like the factory bolted it in place. I'd pay more for the same boat with this type of done right system. Oftherwise give me a "blank slate" to build my own and avoid troubleshooting someone's nightmare. :-)

• Like 2