Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Resale value - is the stereo that important?

RedOwl

For those who have ordered their boats from the factory. Where is the Engine option upgrade vs. sound pack upgrades on the build sheets? Engine upgrade first?

Engine was discussed before the stereo in my case.

But you can always add whatever you want after the purchase...

For many buyers of big ticket items it's easier to pay a little extra per month than it is to come up with another lump sum after fact. In my aftermarket shop I deal with new and used dealerships all the time that roll whatever I do into the financing.

My initial point/surprise was at how sellers are prioritizing their stereos. If it were me, I'd be more interested in highlighting my upgraded engine than I would a stereo.

But after reading everyone's comments on here - I do understand the psychology behind the 'stereo pride'. Many people work, install and tinker with their audio systems whereas the engine is 'just there' and is rarely given a second thought.

I still won't buy a boat because of it's stereo, but I do have a better understanding of their importance to the sellers.

Yep. Here's a great example of how the seller talks more about the stereo then the ungraded engine. I think it's more important to buyers. This add nails it. Although Maybe the stereo info should be more towards the top? ;)

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/5219267079.html

Yep. Here's a great example of how the seller talks more about the stereo then the ungraded engine. I think it's more important to buyers. This add nails it. Although Maybe the stereo info should be more towards the top? ;)

That's Shawndoggy's boat. I actually think it's a really well written add. You can tell someone intelligent wrote it, and didn't leave a bunch of questions that you'd have to contact the seller about. If I was in the market for a boat, that's the type of ad that would get my attention. You can tell by the description and the pictures that the owner knows what he is talking about, and took really good care of the boat. I really don't need to know anything else about it, just call and see when I can water test it. What more do you need to say about the upgraded engine? It's an LS3 and you can google it if you need more info about it. Maybe he could mention why it's so much better than the base one when running all the extra ballast. The sound system description was a short paragraph that basically listed all the different components. It requires more of a description than the engine, because it is a totally custom system, where each component was selected separately, not a factory option (like sound pack 1,2,3) I thought it was reasonable and to the point.

When i was looking for my 247, (my first boat), I didn't really care what stereo it had on it, as that is something that you can change easily. I had to have the 8.1L, and you can't reasonably upgrade the engine after the fact. It was really the only must have. I knew I'd load it down with as much weight as possible for surfing, and haven't regretted it for 1 second. I did pass on one boat that had an awful looking interior/exterior color combo. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't think of a way to make me feel good about it.

When I first got on this site, I didn't get why the stereo section was so busy. I thought I'd never spend thousands to upgrade the stereo, even though in my younger days I had a decent setup in every car. I had done a lot of boating on friends boats, but never one with a rocking set up. I guess i didn't know how much it could add to the experience. My boat came with 8 RF in-boat speakers, and the RF sub, and under-powered amps (that was all set up and tuned very poorly). The first year when I had my boat, we were so new to the boating thing that we really didn't need the distraction of a big stereo, controlling the volume, music choice, etc, while learning to surf and drive a listed boat, and the system just didn't sound that good anyway. We rarely even turned it on. After 2 seasons though, upgrading the stereo has become high priority. We are good enough at surfing that we don't have to stop every 30 seconds, and I feel the music can really add to the experience, especially when it's just my and my wife. I'm currently upgrading my sound system and enjoying every step in the process. The better the sound system gets, the more fun it has been to use.

When evaluating a used boat with an aftermarket setup, I would look at it like this: Added value to the boat price would be 50% of MSRP of components, if they are top brands like Exile, Wetsounds, JL Audio. The fact that it is installed means that I don't have to do spend weeks installing, researching which components go together, finding the best prices, buying all the misc wires and materials.

"...I've got the boat priced for a quick sale. From a scan of other boats for sale right now this is probably the lowest asking price of any 2014 LSV with LS3, except that ridiculously ugly one in Sacramento with the fluorescent green interior that needs to be priced $10K lower than anything else just to get it sold. ..."

:rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

• Like 1

Nicely written ad, and a nice boat. Will be interesting to see if it goes this time of year. If not this year probably no issues selling next spring.

Shawn, new house and a smaller garage? Must have been the wife's decision :-)

I have what many would consider to be too much stereo, it very seldom gets turned up and I always try to be respectful to others if it does. The problem is too many newbies are getting boats with big systems and stir up the lake, just like they do with power turns. I love music and so does my family so a nice system is something we have always had on our boats or look for when we are shopping for boats. My problem is what others choose to make my kids listen to while at the lake.

Edited by MLBurns
  • Like 2

It's the whole package.

We use out stereo a lot...when surfing, I have the interiors off, sub at a reasonable level and the towers blasting so the rider has some tunes. I get a lot of compliments on the system I built, but the boat would suck if the stereo was the only thing I did to it.

I'd be willing to pay more for a boat with a properly done sound system utilizing quality components. I think folks that throw junk in will never get their money for that junk, and those that go super high end will never see a real return. Those that do a nice, happy medium have the best chances on resale, as that is where a lot of the market will be happy to purchase. Educating the buyer also helps with that...

So how many boaters use their system so the surfer/wakeboarder can hear the system? Probably the other category of upgraded stereo system owners. I'm guessing the majority of barefooters and Slalom skiers don't do much for upgrades, unless you just hang out in the boat.

I guess it would relate to those that dock up on lake vs hitting the sand bar. I love music, but find it annoying at 30+ mph. Maybe because I'm getting old and "hard of hearing". :)

I just read through this from the start and find it interesting as well. I'm really in the "don't care about the stereo" camp, but tower speakers were a "must have" for the rest of the family.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Hint: No, they are not waving to us in the boat.

post-2570-0-22422900-1442593233_thumb.jp

^^^^^ yep exactly. Lol I never get to hear the tower speakers loud because my wife won't crank it while I have the handle in my hand.

You should yell at her about that. She will obviously hear you since the stereo is down...