Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me build the perfect VLX

smooky

I m a happy man. I will order soon a new VLX

And I need your help in order to create the ultimate perfect VLX :-)

So post your perfect color scheme and let me know which options are a "must have" and which one is "nice to have"

Thanks a lot

So post your perfect color scheme and let me know which options are a "must have" and which one is "nice to have"

Thanks a lot

Color scheme is very personal and there are plenty of threads on here about that already, so I will leave that to you. But for options, I have had my VLX for about 3 weeks now, and here are my thoughts on some of those:

- Of course you are going to get the power wedge and surf gate; I also think you have to have rear PnP and the bow hard ballast for surfing (some may argue on the bow tank though)

- Clamping Board Racks: I do not have this and really regret it; I hate messing with the bungies.

- GPS plotter; this is a must for me. I live on the shallow end of the lake, and when the level is down late in the year this shows exactly where I need to be to stay in the deeper river run.

- Stereo: delete and do your own; put in a real sub box and power the cabin speakers properly; however, I do really like my two sets of Wetsounds Icon 8 speakers that came with my boat and the amp that powers those.

- Back up camera: Meh; field of view very limited; water splashes on it making it useless; weird frame rate thing going on also limiting utility

- Heater: really helps extend the season; I probably should have also ordered the seat heater to keep the wife happier pulling me over the next month

- G4 tower: I sort of regret not getting it but I am not really sure why. If it were a $1-2k additional option it would be a no brainer, but at $4-5k, I don't know.

- Sport dash joystick: I use this constantly. I make all stereo and most surfgate changes with this; it is intuitive and much easier than going through the viper screens

- Phender pro bumpers: I wouldn't dream of going back to tying bumpers on; these things are great

- GoPro transom mount: I think it is cool, but I could just use a suction cup mount and be fine too

- Wake-view seating: seemed like a really cool idea, but I don't think we have used it once yet

- Docking lights: very nice, and without them the hull shape would seem strange

- Underwater transom lights: purely bling but I don't regret it at all

• Like 2

I preferred all white with black accents and white tower. It's not the flashiest boat but it still stands out.

Aside from the big motor, I would say the salt series option is a must have. Even if you only use it in fresh water, you have the reliability of closed cooling. The whole cooling system stays in perfect condition. I believe now, you get hydraulic steering. You don't ever have to worry about corrosion in your trailer since it's now galvanized. I have the painted-over galvanized trailer. I think that package even comes with other things like anodized racks, SS gas shocks, etc. After having it, I won't ever buy a boat without it.

Btw, it opens up to more potential buyers who may need a boat for salt.

I preferred all white with black accents and white tower. It's not the flashiest boat but it still stands out.

Aside from the big motor, I would say the salt series option is a must have. Even if you only use it in fresh water, you have the reliability of closed cooling. The whole cooling system stays in perfect condition. I believe now, you get hydraulic steering. You don't ever have to worry about corrosion in your trailer since it's now galvanized. I have the painted-over galvanized trailer. I think that package even comes with other things like anodized racks, SS gas shocks, etc. After having it, I won't ever buy a boat without it.

Btw, it opens up to more potential buyers who may need a boat for salt.

The new Ford engines are already closed cooling.

Ok. So what is your perfect color scheme ?

For the love of God just build something different!!! All the Malibu's are starting to look the same.

blue/grey, blue/white, red/grey, black/white are worn out....

Edited by Afun

For the love of God just build something different!!! All the Malibu's are starting to look the same.

I both agree and disagree, i love the red/black, red/silver/black, i think it looks fantastic.

However the more non traditional colors look very good, i suspect some will become dated. Example the new metalic pink, probably not a great choice. Metallic purple, i personally love this color, but i don't think it will stand the test of time, same with the bright greens that have been very popular for a couple years.

I think you can use almost anything sparingly and be ok. But i wouldn't build the pink and purple Barbie dream boat!

My $.02...

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 3

I'm with dark side. Agree and disagree. Boats have been those colors for ever and every so often people get away from it for a few years then come straight back to it. You can make "general" colors look very unique if done correctly imo. See upperwakes post above.

I both agree and disagree, i love the red/black, red/silver/black, i think it looks fantastic.

However the more non traditional colors look very good, i suspect some will become dated. Example the new metalic pink, probably not a great choice. Metallic purple, i personally love this color, but i don't think it will stand the test of time, same with the bright greens that have been very popular for a couple years.

I think you can use almost anything sparingly and be ok. But i wouldn't build the pink and purple Barbie dream boat!

My $.02...

I hear you loud and clear...but all these boats are starting to look the same to me. I can't tell them apart on Norris.

On our 22 it is about as basic as it gets. Only options we got are sports knob, use it all the time, wakeview seating used all the time (thats with a crew of 7 many more and we would use it less) bow tank, wedge & surfgate (basicly resale would dive without it).

Plug and play wasnt an available factory option (may now be)

Love my black and yellow boats. A combination that will never get old and one in which you don't see a lot of.

Edited by BlknYlwT22
  • Like 2

I'm tempted by the green Afun, but just worry about the resale in a few year. And also worry that after 2-3 years you are just bored about the green.

I'm tempted by the green Afun, but just worry about the resale in a few year. And also worry that after 2-3 years you are just bored about the green.

Green is no problem. That color has become mainstream for these boats.

Back to the original question

Options:

G4 is a must, it is awesome! I love the forward lights (included) and down lighting. Plus having it 100% prewired for everything makes it easy to do your own tower speakers and rear lights. Also i heard clamp racks are standard on G4.

Skip PNP, do custom pumps, won't be that much more money but will fill and drain faster. To me 10+ minute fill times are unacceptable in $100,000+ boat!

Bow tank absolutely!

I would do sound pack to get black box and cabin speakers, but skip sub and tower. Factory sub SUCKS! You can add tower speakers yourself and have REV 10's cheaper than factory REV 8's.

Sport dash, yes it has delay, but Gate and wedge control from there is great.

If you like an extended season, heater, shower and heated driver seat. The last one sounds stupid until you have had it.

Skip docking lights, G4 has forward lights and factory docking lights are virtually worthless.

Battery Option 3, gives you smart perko, so the perko will reroute alternator charge to the bank that needs it automatically.

I like the chart plotter navigation, it is helpful at night and on new lakes.

If you like trailer bling order boat with wider fenders and standard wheels and tires. Then get aftermarket wheel tires. Keep one factory wheel for your spare, dispose of the others via craigslist etc. Order undermount spare tire carrier only.

3 pr docking cleats.

I have never tried the fender pro product, i use 5" carabiners on the cleats. Works great, super fast and only $6!

If you plan to surf, order custom sacs. It is a couple hundred dollars more than the PNP bags, but well worth it. They fit perfectly and you get a few hundred pounds more weight in each bag.

Engine: keeping or flipping? Flipping base 410, if you plan to keep, 450 or 575. 575 may be overkill in a VLX, but you would never have to worry about power, you can prop up, so you surf/cruise/wakeboard at 3000 RPM vs 4000 RPM. The engines will handle 4000 but it is loud and uses way more fuel. VLX has fairly small fuel tank, so your chances of getting full day on one tank goes up significantly.

Sorry for long post...

I have never tried the fender pro product, i use 5" carabiners on the cleats. Works great, super fast and only $6...

Any weblink for that stuff ?

No problem for long post. It is useful

Edited by smooky

Thanks a lot

How about you tell everyone what your perfect boat would be first and then let others make suggestions.

How about you tell everyone what your perfect boat would be first and then let others make suggestions.

Let's try to answer this

Must have : Bimini with surf pocket, PW2, surf gate, sport dash rotary, PnP, pull up cleats, wake viewing seating, 3 outlet heater, transom lights, wake package 8 speakers, bow ballast

Nice to have : Deck trac non skid, cockpit table, bow light pop up

And I'm more and more about putting the G4 tower in the "must have" list.

Am I missing something in the must have list ?

About color, I'm more on a blue / black color scheme, but I'm tempted on a green boat, just worry about resale. At the moment my two preferred boats are these ones :

Capture%20drsquoeacutecran%202015-09-09%

22-vlx-2015_zpsugqygn03.jpg

Do you think the green is metal flakes ? Because it is hard to tell from the picture ? I was thinking the metal flake was more flashy.

Edited by smooky

Options:

G4 is a must, it is awesome! I love the forward lights (included) and down lighting. Plus having it 100% prewired for everything makes it easy to do your own tower speakers and rear lights. Also i heard clamp racks are standard on G4.

Is it true ? Does it come with the clamp racks ?

Options:

Skip PNP, do custom pumps, won't be that much more money but will fill and drain faster. To me 10+ minute fill times are unacceptable in $100,000+ boat!

Bow tank absolutely!

I would do sound pack to get black box and cabin speakers, but skip sub and tower. Factory sub SUCKS! You can add tower speakers yourself and have REV 10's cheaper than factory REV 8's.

Sport dash, yes it has delay, but Gate and wedge control from there is great.

If you like an extended season, heater, shower and heated driver seat. The last one sounds stupid until you have had it.

Skip docking lights, G4 has forward lights and factory docking lights are virtually worthless.

Battery Option 3, gives you smart perko, so the perko will reroute alternator charge to the bank that needs it automatically.

I like the chart plotter navigation, it is helpful at night and on new lakes.

If you like trailer bling order boat with wider fenders and standard wheels and tires. Then get aftermarket wheel tires. Keep one factory wheel for your spare, dispose of the others via craigslist etc. Order undermount spare tire carrier only.

3 pr docking cleats.

I have never tried the fender pro product, i use 5" carabiners on the cleats. Works great, super fast and only $6!

If you plan to surf, order custom sacs. It is a couple hundred dollars more than the PNP bags, but well worth it. They fit perfectly and you get a few hundred pounds more weight in each bag.

Engine: keeping or flipping? Flipping base 410, if you plan to keep, 450 or 575. 575 may be overkill in a VLX, but you would never have to worry about power, you can prop up, so you surf/cruise/wakeboard at 3000 RPM vs 4000 RPM. The engines will handle 4000 but it is loud and uses way more fuel. VLX has fairly small fuel tank, so your chances of getting full day on one tank goes up significantly.

Sorry for long post...

Mr. Darkside putting on an absolute CLINIC in boat ordering!

Nothing really to add... mirrors my thoughts (and boat) almost perfectly

Is it true ? Does it come with the clamp racks ?

Yes, in 2016 the G4 upgrade includes ONE set of clamping racks. However, they did raise the price of the G4 to cover this... sorry, no free lunch.

And the green you see above is in fact green flake. I know the guy who first owned that boat. It's pretty sick.

Btw... once you use clamping racks it's hard to go back to bungees.