Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ready to Upgrade to Another Boat - Need Recommendations

roadbkrkv1

I currently have a 99 SS VLX (SV23 Wake Hull - same hull as a Wakesetter till 2005). I have it set-up with 600#'s in the rear lockers, 500#'s in the bow, and Wicked Wake Surf gates. I surf 90% of the time and wakeboard very little anymore because I have been really enjoying surfing. We are currently looking at upgrading our boat to a larger, more comfortable (must be able to handle chop better), and a more surf specific boat. I don't want to spend over $35,000.

Must-haves:

larger

handle chop well

more surf specific hull

I have been told to look at the deep V boats like the Centurion Avalanche and Tige 22V's or 24V's?? Has anyone had any experience with these boats?

Just brainstorming here.

My best friend has a 2001, 2300V Tige' and IME it rides no better in the chop than my LSV. In fact it is probably worse as it is lighter and has less free board. It does appear to have a slightly deeper V at the transom, but marginally more. The Centurions are the hands down winners in the deep v category, but I have never ridden in one so I can't comment on the ride.

My best friend has a 2001, 2300V Tige' and IME it rides no better in the chop than my LSV. In fact it is probably worse as it is lighter and has less free board. It does appear to have a slightly deeper V at the transom, but marginally more. The Centurions are the hands down winners in the deep v category, but I have never ridden in one so I can't comment on the ride.

Thanks! I just did a search and a 2005 maybe 2006 LSV is in my price range. Are there any differences between the two? Are they great surf boats??

There are a number of guys on here who have '05-'06 LSVs and surf. So long as it has the wake and not the diamond hull I imagine it would serve you well as a good surf boat with the proper ballast set up. A "great surf boat" is a matter of opinion and kind of like "game changer" on this forum but an LSV is a great place to start working on one IMHO. I think there was a hull change somewhere around that time period, but the current owners would know for sure.

If I was looking for a 30-35k surf boat that handles chop, I'd be looking at centurion avalanche and maybe squeezing a little more to get into an Enzo. I believe they surf and handle chop significantly better than a 30-35k malibu anything. There are probably others but the Enzo and avy are two that I have a little experience with.

• Like 2

05' LSV was hull change. 06' was power wedge which is nice for surfing. I had a 97 Sunsetter v-drive with same hull as yours and I can tell you my 06' LSV is night and day better. If it is extra choppy I fill the center ballast and it gets a little better yet. Have not been in a Centurion to compare.

You won't find a better budget surf boat than a Centurion Avalanche. They can be had for 30k pretty easy. An Avalanche still puts out a respectable wakeboard wake unlike some of the other Centurions so you will still be happy the 10% of the time that you wakeboard.

Avy is a great surf machine and most Avy owners love their waves. I have a Tige 24V and am definitely biased.

The one caveat on the Avalanche vs Tige 24V (not sure on the 22V), is that you have much more freeboard on the Tige. The 24V can take a ton of weight even with 3-4k lbs your rub rail will be out of the water. With the Avy (unless its a newer one with higher freeboard), I think your rubrail will be sunk pretty good.

You can check out Duffy's pictures of his Avy here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791768

He switched from the Avy to the 24V because he boats on a big lake and he slams his boat. You can see where the water is over the locker in the pic in that thread. I was looking at Avy's and Tige 22/24V's and that pic convinced me to go with the 24V for my use.

The surf wave on the Tige is very steep (especially compared to Surfgate or even listed Bu waves I have been on) and some do not like it. If you are a hardcore skim style rider, you might not like the Tige as much as other options. The steeper wave makes surface rotations (skim style 360s) more difficult IMO.

The other complaint about the 24V is the sloped transom. Unless you are 7 feet tall, you will not be able to sit on the locker and put on a wakeboard. I have little kids and IMO its a little sketchy and dangerous when they climb up the sloped transom in the boat. No one has ever slipped or been hurt on my boat, its just more of an over protective dad thing.

Since the Tige is a taller boat, it might not handle chop as well as the Avy but I would expect it to be a little dryer. For a mid 2000s boat, I don't think there is a taller boat than the 24V. My custom sacs in the rear hold over 1800 lbs and the bag is 28 inches tall. Any inboard I have been in handles chop worse than my old 18 foot bayliner ;) So I am not sure I would expect a huge difference.

I would also add that it seems like anyone that comes from a Malibu/Axis wakeboard wake to a deeper V wakeboard wake (Centurion, Tige, Sanger, MB), seems disappointed in how it will not clean up as much as lower speeds. So be aware of that tradeoff.

Good luck! In the 35k and less budget, the Avy and the Tige are great options.

• Like 2