Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker Wire Termination?

Asmodeus2112

For that type terminal I find that using the raw wire works best in order to stay seated long term and resist shock and vibration...and to make more surface area contact. Maybe only lightly tin the wire strands, but you are far better off having a flexible wire rather than an inflexible addition to the end of the wire. It also helps to have a heavy gauge wire that comes a little closer to filling the terminal block hole.

Back the screw out. Strip the wire about 3/8". Insert wire. Tighten screw.

For that type terminal I find that using the raw wire works best in order to stay seated long term and resist shock and vibration...and to make more surface area contact. Maybe only lightly tin the wire strands, but you are far better off having a flexible wire rather than an inflexible addition to the end of the wire. It also helps to have a heavy gauge wire that comes a little closer to filling the terminal block hole.

Thanks guys. I'm adding another amp, and when I installed the first one I was dissatisfied with the connections of just the wires to these terminals. They seemed to fall out 20% of the time, and I'm sure most of them will not take much strain. I'll try some lower gauge wire, I'm at work so from memory I think I used 18 ga., so maybe I'll try 16 and see what happens. Just wanted to see if there was a trick of the trade that I was unaware of.

If the diameter of wire is too small, like in the case of a speaker or turn-on wire, then strip more back and tightly fold it over.

For any cable, especially larger heavier primary cables, clamp and strain relieve the wire on the amp panel near the terminal and use a decent size radius going into the terminal. A very hard radius on a rigid cable wants to pull the heavier gauge power cables away from the terminal.

• Like 1