Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible engine bearing out, other things to fix? Monsoon 320

Put the boat on the water last night running great, halfway back to the dock started hearing a knock to it. Slowed it down to an idle and wasn't too bad until it started squeaking some as well. Thinking it sounds like there could be some bearings going out, so planning on pulling the engine and opening up the bottom to check bearings and such... Just wondering if people have experience with the monsoon 320 engine and if there are other things i should consider replacing or inspecting while things are appart. I'm just shy of 1200 hours on the engine, seemed a little early for this, but sometimes you never know... thoughts from people who have worked through this or are engine nuts... thanks

I don't know if I would leap to the bearings being an issue, but at the point that you are replacing crank and rod bearings you are in "might as well" land as far as honing cylinders, replacing rings and going through the whole motor unless you are talking about trying to do it without pulling the heads.

I'd be looking at your dampner plate first

Turns out the rod bearings on 1 and 2 were spun bad enough to make the crank a new stylish anchor, but hoping i can have to new one this week yet and be back running by sunday, we'll see how quick my local guy can get it. Thanks for the suggestions, i figured i'd give a report on what was found. With 1200 hrs, planning on putting a new oil pump in and new rings on as well since we pulled the heads... Never a fun time pulling the engine and all because of what it entails, but at least i had a few good buddies helping out and getting things done...

Turns out the rod bearings on 1 and 2 were spun bad enough to make the crank a new stylish anchor, but hoping i can have to new one this week yet and be back running by sunday, we'll see how quick my local guy can get it. Thanks for the suggestions, i figured i'd give a report on what was found. With 1200 hrs, planning on putting a new oil pump in and new rings on as well since we pulled the heads... Never a fun time pulling the engine and all because of what it entails, but at least i had a few good buddies helping out and getting things done...

My thinking is, you should never spin a bearing. Should last forever. Rings or seals could go, and then start using oil.

I admire your drive to get it running by Sunday.