Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski feels like a slug

williemon

I'm not a great slalom skier but I'm getting better. I have been using a kd 2000 or 3000 ( not the expensive one) that is probably a 2000 or a 2005 year model with double boots. I've been skiing at 30 mph and always felt like it kind of digs in the water. I decided to try it at 32 mph thinking it would come to life but it just felt like a slug. My upper body would end up pulled forward and the ski would be stuck in he water is what it felt like. I try to scoot my hips forward but it took a lot of doing to hold them forward. Is that due to the ski, possible wing setup, or just that I can't slalom well?

I have very little knowledge of the KD skis. Is this a for lack of better name a fat ski? The only KD I have ever skied was the old 7000.

But if you have a wing or brake try taking it off. Ski setup can be night and day on a good ski. On an upper end ski a fin change of .002 can make a noticeable difference so without knowing what you are skiing on its difficult to give much direction. How is your ski ridding in the water? Just standing on the ski at the speed you are skiing how much of the ski is in the water?

If you haven't done so, find some place to take a couple lessons. A decent coach can help you with all your concerns. I skied better at 40 than 30 and now my best sets ever at 57 yrs old due to some expert help (and a little practice too).

I'm not a great slalom skier but I'm getting better. I have been using a kd 2000 or 3000 ( not the expensive one) that is probably a 2000 or a 2005 year model with double boots. I've been skiing at 30 mph and always felt like it kind of digs in the water. I decided to try it at 32 mph thinking it would come to life but it just felt like a slug. My upper body would end up pulled forward and the ski would be stuck in he water is what it felt like. I try to scoot my hips forward but it took a lot of doing to hold them forward. Is that due to the ski, possible wing setup, or just that I can't slalom well?

How long is your ski?

How much do you weigh?

How tall are you?

At 30 mph, where does the water break on the ski?

in front of the front foot, beside the front foot, behind the front foot, etc?

KD 3000 - 1

2014-04-07 15:50:29
0 Comments

Level:
Sport/Performance
Lengths (in.):
59, 62, 64, 66
Price range: $329-$419
Test notes: Intermediate tester said the KD 3000 was very forgiving at 15 off at 30 mph. Advanced tester rated the ski with good marks in ski stability, edge change and maintaining angle at the second wake.
Sport: Perfect for the up and comer who has dreams of making the Pro Tour.
Performance: Very forgiving for the performance-oriented skier working to perfect body position in the slalom course. Seeks an edge well but can be ridden by recreational skiers who are looking for a high-performance ride.

The ski seems to be geared towards the lighter skier or perhaps women, since it is only 66" long at its max size

Edited by JB-FOOT

It's a KD 4000 in 66 length. Redline hammer design is on he bottom of the ski. I picked it up at a yard sale. I'm 5 2 and 150 lbs currently. I drop to about 135 depending. Wing is set to about 8 degree. I adjusted the fin to some specs I found online that was supposed to be pretty factory, boots are set in middle position. I believe the water sprays out the front to the ball of my foot. I tend to get spray in the face. I'm a rec skier but would like to progress. I prefer an easy style most of the time but would like to cut hard sometimes. It would be nice to try the course once or twice in my life. I'm not sure how much ski is in the water when standing flat at 30 mph.

I also have an obrian world team 68. I did not ride it much since it was hard for me to get up on with my old 3.0 L I/O but when I did, I remember it giving a pretty neutral ride at 28 mph. I also have an HO comp free ride series venture model. I think it's a 65. It also sprayed me in the face a lot and I felt it made me lean back too much like I could not find my true center. I may decide to sell them all and buy another one that might work better for me.

from waterski mag test 2001

KD

4000 Redline

Specifications

Level Intermediate/Advanced

Length (IN.) 66, 68 ,72

Price Range* $419-$529

Scores

Deepwater Start 1.5

Edging Ability Through Wakes 1.5

Turning Ability 2.5

Acceleration 2.0

Overall Stability 1.0

1 Excellent, as good as it gets. 2 Very good. 3 Average. 4 Unsatisfactory. 5 A piece of driftwood might fair better.

Comments

This design has been around longer than most pro skiers and is still proving to be a winner. A great buy for the intermediate to advanced skier who enjoys solid, predictable performance in any sort of conditions. Testers experienced moderate acceleration and noted its ability to hold the angle established in the turn. If you are after great overall features, this ski won?t let you down.

http://waterski.about.com/od/slalomwaterskiingtips/a/tune_slalom_ski.htm

http://www.waterskis.com/Water-Ski-Buyers-Guide-s/12.htm

heck this out

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • 2 weeks later...

@williemon: A couple of technique tips based on your comments, being pulled forward at the shoulders can be a result of poor handle position. You want to do your best to get the "handle to the hips" and not let the handle come up too high. It takes both moving the hips forward and keeping the handle down to achieve. Not commented on, but can affect ski feel a lot can be too much rear leg weight, you want to load the ski evenly between front and rear feet and not push down hard on the rear leg. That also gets to JB's comments on where the water breaks.

The ski feeling like a slug can certainly be a variety of things like fin, wing and binding position. You probably don't need a wing on the ski until you get serious about running the course, so I suggest taking it off to see how that feels. Have you weighed the ski to see if perhaps for some odd reason it might be waterlogged? I doubt it, but worth a check. That ski should not really feel like a slug, Denny Kidders stuff tends to be very good.

I will take the wing off. I bet it's a lot in the setup though as well. I did work hard to keep hips forward and handle down low and close in to the hips, but it was harder to do that at 32 mph than 30 for what ever reason.

I will take the wing off. I bet it's a lot in the setup though as well. I did work hard to keep hips forward and handle down low and close in to the hips, but it was harder to do that at 32 mph than 30 for what ever reason.

Because your going faster the fast you go the harder it gets.

I got a new ski this summer HUGE difference from the old HO burner.

I found some pics of me skiing and in all of them the ski is riding tip high with water breaking at back of forward foot and sometimes further back.

this is at 34 mph (or maybe 32, I am not 100% sure) but unfortunately my ski (poor riding style on my part) rides up too....

does yours ride higher or lower than this?

this is a 69" HO Charger

boat is a 2001 Sport (Air) Nautique DD and the rope length is at 60'

I am 6'2" @ 200lbs

Edited by JB-FOOT

I would say equal to and sometimes higher depending on where I am in the run. I only free ski so it's just for recreation. Nice video of your ski run.