Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter Bimini Suggestions

h2oratJR

Welcome! I had the original Tuna Tower as well and quickly swapped it for a Star One Deluxe. The Tuna caused some nasty gelcoat and fiberglass stress cracks due to the poor attachment points.

I have a 99 Sunsetter with original tuna tower. We went with a bimini from Indy - the size small. It was a great price and a good fit. I did have to improvise with the supplied spacers - as one came loose/out - not a problem picked up something from the plumbing aisle at Home Depot and modified it for a great replacement spacer. Someone else on here purchased their bimini from Indy and that's where I learned of it.

Thx . Ended up ordering from Tower Biminis they will even put surf pockets on top . Do you have tower speakers and know if wires can be run internally on our tower model ?

• 5 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 2:14 PM, heatherblair said:

I have a 99 Sunsetter with original tuna tower. We went with a bimini from Indy - the size small. It was a great price and a good fit. I did have to improvise with the supplied spacers - as one came loose/out - not a problem picked up something from the plumbing aisle at Home Depot and modified it for a great replacement spacer. Someone else on here purchased their bimini from Indy and that's where I learned of it.

What/where is Indy?  I need a tower bimini and want it to fit directly to my tuna tower, no strap hooks on gunwale.

Edited by dwlaker
clarify

Im looking to buy one for my boat this summer as well. I found this one, like the look, price and how it covers the speakers. My only concern is the tow rope pulling down on the back when pulling up surfers? It looks like you can adjust the position to accommodate but does any one have any experience with this bimini? 

It also looks like you could easily make surfboard storage between the tower and canvas...  

http://www.wakeessentials.com/product-p/bab005.htm 

Edited by danieljohsnon

I had a custom made bimini done over my Titan II tower a few years back. I had the conventional bimini below the speakers & had to duck under it all the time. After being in the newer boats with biminis above the tower, I knew thats what I had to have. I gathered up a 1/2 dozen pics of what I wanted & found a local shop that would work with me on it. I told them I wanted it raked like the brim of a baseball cap. I bought all the fittings from Star One (who originally made the Titan II). In the end, it took maybe a week & I paid about $850 for it.

In the end, I love it. I'm 6'1" & can stand under it. My bald head loves it. And my speakers haven't faded in the least.

20130213_181529_zpsnel3rwdx.jpg

20130217_105603_zps21cd6a25.jpg

Now days there are a few companies making these type of biminis. Keep in mind their custom made & will probably need to be modified for your specific tower & use. And multiple colors cost more.

http://www.monstertower.com/Bimini-Tops-s/1825.htm

http://www.indywakeboardtowers.com/wake-towers/wakeboard-tower-bimini-top/

https://samsonsports.com/bimini-tops/

http://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Bimini-Tops.aspx

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

danieljohsnon, I've wondered the same thing about the above-tower bimini interfering with the tow rope.  Looks like Bill's design takes care of that potential problem.  I haven't had time to explore these options yet, but will let you guys know what I find.  Does anyone have experience with the cargo tower bimini made by Great Lakes?  That was another option I considered, but Ginger at GL noted it doesn't provide as much shade, given the size range.

Also, note that even the biminis you see setup below the tower, can be modified & setup above the tower too. Obviously a hole will need to be cut & trimmed for the tower spool, supports cut at custom lengths, etc. BIM-4.jpg

On September 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM, heatherblair said:

Is your Indy bimini foldable? Any cover or boot? Thanks