Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sanity check for custom stuff, 1-1/8"

67King

I really don't think this is that complicated, but the guy at Fatsac was, well, let's just say not at all helpful. ANd sadly, I've not had the best experience with Wakemakers, either (nevermind taking 2 days to answer a chat window) At any rate, two sets of questions:

1. Currently have the 550's that are designed for the boat. ALl three fittings are on the bottom. Is there a reason they didn't put the vent at the top? Can't figure out why it is on the bottom, but it doesn't fit well, and I have to manually bleed off the air every time they fill. The hoses look like they were designed to be that way. Maybe they screwed up when installing the fittings, and one is supposed to be on top?

2. Bow sac. Any reason I can't splice into the overflow/vent from the front hard tank, and use it to fill, then handle overflow from a bow bag? I know it shouldn't be able to fill above the vent on the boat, and I'm okay with that (or I can add a valve if I really need to). Looks like most folks here are running an aux pump. I'd really rather not if I can get away without it, and since the rears are taking time getting filled, I don't see the big deal if I just use the same method for the front (and yeah, I know draining will be tougher).

3. Anyone know of a chemical that might break the PVC cement they use on the fittings? I'm guessing acetone? Gets back to fixing the port in 1.

4. This is really the only pertinent point to the size of hte hoses. They sell a barb that has a quick connect for a 1-1/8" fitting, but the barb side is 1". The hose they sell claims to be for either 1" or 1-1/8". Anyone know if the hose that comes with the boats is the same stuff? And consequently, will the 1" barb to 1-1/8" quick connect fit?

Edited by 67King

What Fly High sac do you have because ive never seen a standard Fly high sac in the past 10 years with no top fittings? Are you sure they are not a Wm custom or another brand? If possible, please provide the actual W - - - part number, not the advertised weight of 550.

1. Currently have the 550's that are designed for the boat. ALl three fittings are on the bottom. Is there a reason they didn't put the vent at the top? Can't figure out why it is on the bottom, but it doesn't fit well, and I have to manually bleed off the air every time they fill. The hoses look like they were designed to be that way. Maybe they screwed up when installing the fittings, and one is supposed to be on top?

Picture? I have the Ronix 550s (CTN 550) and there are 5 ports on the bag (two front bottom, two back bottom, and one vent on the top)

2. Bow sac. Any reason I can't splice into the overflow/vent from the front hard tank, and use it to fill, then handle overflow from a bow bag? I know it shouldn't be able to fill above the vent on the boat, and I'm okay with that (or I can add a valve if I really need to). Looks like most folks here are running an aux pump. I'd really rather not if I can get away without it, and since the rears are taking time getting filled, I don't see the big deal if I just use the same method for the front (and yeah, I know draining will be tougher).

You're pumping water uphill to get to a bow sac, and it's going to take forever. I run a Fly High W706 (it's really only ~650, the math doesn't show 1000 lbs) and it takes ~8 minutes with the stock pump. I'm going to swap this pump for a better pump during the off season. The other issue you run in to is the pressure of the bow sac above the tank is that the water will train through the system and back out in to the river/lake. You need to have a check valve on the bow sac somewhere.

3. Anyone know of a chemical that might break the PVC cement they use on the fittings? I'm guessing acetone? Gets back to fixing the port in 1.

Mine was just silicone sealant (caulking) and it was not difficult to remove the fittings with a (large) wrench once I took the covers off the top of the built in tanks.

4. This is really the only pertinent point to the size of hte hoses. They sell a barb that has a quick connect for a 1-1/8" fitting, but the barb side is 1". The hose they sell claims to be for either 1" or 1-1/8". Anyone know if the hose that comes with the boats is the same stuff? And consequently, will the 1" barb to 1-1/8" quick connect fit?

For the fittings I had that were not 1-1/4", I had to use some rubber gasket tape to make the 1" fittings large enough to get a good seal once I tightened them using a hose clamp.

The sac's that come with the 15's are custom from Malibu - and they do have a vent cap in the top of them.

You do have to bleed them as well - I too wondered if there was a way to add a top venting line.

I don't think that's accurate; My dealer pulled a set of Ronix CTN 550 off the shelf and gave them to me for my boat. When I was at the factory in April they told me that the plug-n-play fat sacs are a "dealer prep" item and not supplied by Malibu.

I really don't think this is that complicated, but the guy at Fatsac was, well, let's just say not at all helpful. ANd sadly, I've not had the best experience with Wakemakers, either (nevermind taking 2 days to answer a chat window) At any rate, two sets of questions:

Try a blower or heat gun. Heat the joint up and then with wrenches, twist.

Mine are the Ronix bags without the Ronix label. MY Mistake

no worries; there was a long conversation about WakeMakers making custom sacs for Malibu at the beginning of the season so I'm just doing my part to stop the FUD.

I have some Fly High sacs that came out of another boat that have fittings glued in.

Ive tried to heat gun it but has't worked.

I've capped them off but leaves a funky stub and would like to get those fittings out.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all of the responses. Sacs were developed with Malibu and Fly High. They are branded Fly High, and came with teh fittings glued in and all of that, delivered by Fly HIgh. I would imagine Malibu can't deliver them due to the approved weight of the boat from the Coast Guard or soemthing, but that's a guess. That said, I am really starting to think they were just mis-built. Also, I got a call back from Fly High.....I believe I caught Mike at a bad time as he was fielding tons of calls, the second conversation went much, much better. I still had a hard time explaining what I was doing, but he was much more helpful the second time around.

The concern about pumping water upward......that's going to happen regardless of what system and pump I have. It is X inches above the water level, no matter how you get it there. The less hose and fewer bends in there will be better. I think what i want to do is pretty good. As long as the sac is that high above the water line, the pump will have to work to get the water there.

Had the issue with my Axis about water pressure forcing water out of the drain pump. Wired in some valves between the tanks and drain pumps on the Axis which solved the problems (Link to what I did). That said, one of the prevailing theories is that it is the weight of the bag sitting on top of the tanks which does it. Honestly, that is what I think happens. Even though you have 1000 pounds, it is spread over almost 1300 square inches (and that ignores any weight carried by anything other than the bottom), so you have less than 1 PSI of pressure in the hose. So I don't think it is the weight of the water going through the hose that is the issue. So with teh cushions in place and the floor, I expect teh weight will be more evenly distributed than in teh rear lockers which were teh problem with teh Axis (note that there wasn't a problem with teh bow tank in it, and the bow bag was 950 pounds).

ANd the math on the bow sac.......good call on that. Dimensions listed are 54 (equiliateral) by 12. That would hold 550 pounds of water without expansion, which I'm sure will be a lot, but not two-fold!!!

Edited by 67King