Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Prop Advice - Yes I searched first

malibudreamin

I read through some previous threads about VTX prop changes and still need a bit of help. I need a spare but checked mine and see that I have a 537. I've had the boat about 6 months and it's been great. However, the last time we were out we loaded up pretty heavy for surfing (1250 stock + 1500 pnp's + 5 guys) and the boat couldn't get to speed (10.4 mph). I use the auto wedge feature so the boat would go into "lift" mode and we'd get to speed and then the wedge would go down and we'd drop to about 7-8 mph and then go into "lift" mode again and we'd go in that cycle.

We bought the boat because we're skiers first but we're having a blast with all this other stuff. Top speed is not an issue. We rarely if ever exceed 40 mph. I read things like the wake being "harder" for skiing with certain props but I'm not sure if that is accurate.

I'm considering, based on my reading, to buy a 1273 prop and use that for my primary and just saving the 537 as the back up.

Is there any reason I should not do that?

From my brief reading, being in a similiar boat the 1235 is the prop for heavily weighed boats, and still should be able to do ski speed, albiet at high RPMS.

Where did you read about the 1273 being the go to choice, and based on what metrics?

*edit: after a quick look the 1273 and 1235 are the same size and pitch, with a different cup. I doubt you would be able to tell the different between the two. I say good choice, with either of those 2. I'd probably go with the 1235 is you ever plan to resell.

Edited by Indyxc

1939 is your other choice. Had that at first. Ha trouble when surfing really heavy. Went to the 1273 and have been happy.

1235 is my back up but has not left the box.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

I had a 1235 put on my 2015 VTX before I picked it up. I typically ski at 34 mph, can reach 41 mph and have surfed at 10.0 fully loaded with 550's in the PnP and 4 people in the boat. My time at high RPM is pretty limited to ski runs as I don't do a lot of high speed cruising. Most of my hours are probably between 20-25 mph pulling an unknown, spherical object, loaded with kids.

I had a 1235 put on my 2015 VTX before I picked it up. I typically ski at 34 mph, can reach 41 mph and have surfed at 10.0 fully loaded with 550's in the PnP and 4 people in the boat. My time at high RPM is pretty limited to ski runs as I don't do a lot of high speed cruising. Most of my hours are probably between 20-25 mph pulling an unknown, spherical object, loaded with kids.

What did you swap it to? Still have the 1235 and interested in selling it?