Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Something Humming When Motor Shut Off

TC_2006_VLX

I have a 2006 Malibu VLX with 7XX hours on it. Finally getting everything i wanted dialed in perfectly the way I wanted. So a week ago i came in after a set and turned everything off and a friend mentioned my blower motor was still on. I crawled back there and it wasnt my blower motor, but something else still humming away in the motor. I used my battery shut off switch to completely turn off power and that seemed to cure it once restoring power. Fast forward to this weekend and the same thing happened. Unfortunately it was 9 PM and super dark so wasnt able to crawl in there to figure out what was still activated. Any thoughts on what this humming could be coming from? Thanks!!!

06 dont have bilge pump in the rear sadly. I will have to check to see if its the ballast pump but the indicator doesnt show as it running on the dash.

Not sure if it was available in 06.

Power wedge actuator?

My 08 had an issue where even with the boat off and accessories the wedge kept running. Only thing that stopped it was batteries off or unhooking it from the control box/fuse pulled.

Ended up with a new medallion board. Supposedly there was a problem with the board. So far good two years. If you are on the swim platform you may be able to hear if it's the actuators. Or maybe it's a faulty one and not the board.

Key off should shut power down to the fuel pump. If key is on but you are not running it could be. The fuel pump would be pressurizing the fuel system. It then should shut down if the engine is not running. If it was in a key on engine not running and your fuel pump keeps running you would have a leak in your fuel system. If it was a bad injector you would not see or likely smell fuel but you could be in danger of hydraulicing your engine.

Not a good thing! But this does not sound like what you described.

I could not get this to replicate the noise last night during my trial runs. Could this possible be the fuel pump not shutting off?

My actuators will be an off and on occurrence thing, mine are currently not buzzing but did last weekend. Several battery shut down and they are quite now. May have popped the 20 amp fuse but have not checked it yet.

I was thinking fuel pump sticking too. Next time you are in your boat, turn on batteries, then key switch on (do not start it), go back into your engine compartment and see if the sound of the fuel pump is the same sound you are experiencing.... that should tell you there if it is the fuel pump. If not, then turn on your bilge pump and listen to see if that matches. If not, turn each ballast pump on individually and see if you can match that sound. I guess you can do this with the blower as well.

My cousins VLX's bilge pump has been sticking the last few times out. We need to pull it and clean it out, and possibly replace it, but even if your pump is not in the rear, it will still be heard in the rear engine compartment if it is sticking.

I liked my bilge pump in center (06 VLX) better than in the rear (2012 VLX). Center is the lowest point at rest.

Yeah I like pulling my center plug as well, I never pull my rear because the center is the lowest point in most boats. The only thing I like about the rear bilge pump is that when I am at speed, that far rear location really aides in completely emptying my bilge.

• Like 2

I am thinking of adding a 2nd bilge in the rear as my winter project. We took the boat out for a couple sets and upon returning no mysterious gremlin noise. I will keep an eye/ear open for this to reappear and hopefully have a better idea of the source of the noise.

I liked my bilge pump in center (06 VLX) better than in the rear (2012 VLX). Center is the lowest point at rest.

I suppose for "at rest" it is nice but where do you think the water will go when you have a serious leak? Or when you are at speed? Seems like a really dumb and cheap call to me on Malibu's part. Personally, I'd prefer a pump in both locations.

Yeah when your running at decent speed it takes a lot of water in the boat b4 that center bilge will kick on. Found that out after my mechanic forgot to tighten down my intake hoses. Fired it up and they didn't shoot off so thought i was fine. Running across the lake I noticed something seemed off and opened the rear hatch. Boom it was like a fire hose dumping water into the back end of the boat. Bilge never kicked on as we hadn't accumulated a pool in the boat yet,,, but seemed like back end or 2 pumps would be better placement.

I was having the same issue with my 05 VLX. It turned out to be the shower switch. Somehow while getting in and out of the locker sombody hit the switch and turned it on. For me it was a simple fix, just turn off the switch. Hopefully your fix is that simple. Good Luck!

I dont have a shower or at least to my knowledge i have never seen one ha I have ran the boat a couple different times now with out any issues so not sure what was going on.