Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wife wants a range rover sport....anyone have this?

saidainc

Never owned one but two friends each had '06s that needed transmissions at 160k. Everything under the hood said BMW on it. They're really nice. The AC could cool the whole shop lol.

One of my favorite looking SUVs ever. But out of my price range. If you're buying new with a warranty go for it. For used I've had to go by the old Ferrari statement--"If you can't afford a new one you certainly can't afford a used one!"

• Like 2

Dont know if it is the same on your side of the pond (i am in aus) but the sport here shares the same running gear as the land rover 4 (discovery 4 here).

We only have the small output motor in ours and have no dramas at all towing a 22vlx. That said no mountains and i play with the paddles in hilly country sitting on about 65.

The auto is a sealed unit (8 speed) and the day mine comes out of warranty it will have the sump mod done. Lots of info on the aus landrover and british landrover forums.

Cant compare them to Chev Ford etc as they just dont exist over here.

This is a very true statement. Have had a few traded in at the dealership. We are very cautious about them.

One of my favorite looking SUVs ever. But out of my price range. If you're buying new with a warranty go for it. For used I've had to go by the old Ferrari statement--"If you can't afford a new one you certainly can't afford a used one!"

My fiance`s mom has one because the kardashians do. That should be enough right there to not buy one.

It's also been in the shop probably 15 since buying it new just a few years ago.

I like the new Jeep Grand Cherokees personally for a smaller suv that can tow.

I always thought the rang rover sports were basically a $65k ford Explorer?

My fiance`s mom has one because the kardashians do. That should be enough right there to not buy one.

It's also been in the shop probably 15 since buying it new just a few years ago.

I like the new Jeep Grand Cherokees personally for a smaller suv that can tow.

I always thought the rang rover sports were basically a $65k ford Explorer?

Neighbors bought a brand new Jeep Cherokee and a brand new Lexus. Guess which one has been in the shop for nearly 3 weeks out of 2 months?

Have they made a lot of changes recently? When I was looking for an SUV a couple years ago I had a subscription to Consumer Reports and they consistently ranked the Range Rover the CR WORST buy for many, many, MANY years in a row.... Terrible service and reliability history, etc.

They were very quickly crossed off my list. I also don't love the way they look.

Since it was mentioned, my buddy got a new Grand Cherokee with the diesel and I am very impressed with it. Some neat things that stood out to me were - the dash has many cool features (apps, etc) and is easy to use, how it syncs to your phone for music, calls and texts, the adaptive cruise was pretty crazy and worked awesome (kind of freaky), he's averaging 26 MPG!!!! auto-dimming headlights, auto windshield wipers, cooled seats, heated wheel, how quiet it was, adjustable suspension varying 4" of travel.....

• Like 2

I looked at one (the new model) in the spring for the wife, which was also going to be the tow vehicle. Decided against it due to not being comfortable with it's towing capacity. A very nice vehicle on the test drive and RR has step up their game in reliability; not a Toyota but closer to BMW and MB.

I guy at work has one a really likes it, but he has the high performance one and does not tow.

Since it was mentioned, my buddy got a new Grand Cherokee with the diesel and I am very impressed with it. Some neat things that stood out to me were - the dash has many cool features (apps, etc) and is easy to use, how it syncs to your phone for music, calls and texts, the adaptive cruise was pretty crazy and worked awesome (kind of freaky), he's averaging 26 MPG!!!! auto-dimming headlights, auto windshield wipers, cooled seats, heated wheel, how quiet it was, adjustable suspension varying 4" of travel.....

Pretty standard options for modern vehicles. My wife just got a '15 Denali with the 6.2. That engine is unbelievable. I actually got 15mpg going 73 mpg using adaptive cruise on 500 mile trip towing the boat. And when unloaded, that thing RIPS. I'd recommend given the RR price point if said is looking at them (the RRs).

If you think adaptive cruise is freaky wait until you drive a car with active lane keep AND adaptive cruise. You really don't have to do anything.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

Used. we dont want to deal with depreciation. Maybe a 2013

Be careful if you're trying to avoid depreciation in european cars. In my experience with several they take a bigger dive from years 3-5 than 1-3

Absolutely love the styling...,, but want no part of their miserable QAQC record and place too high of a value on quality to ever consider one.

If you want to directly fund and support your local Range Rover Technician Teamsters Union, post up some pics when you bring it home... They do look awesome.

Edited by nyryan2001
  • Like 1

I have a 2013 RR Sport and towed my vRide a total of 2300 or so miles this summer on a trip. The airbags will level out the vehicle and make towing a breeze. I average right around the 15mpg mark. A head wind on the way home did not help though. I did run the boat fairly low on gas, but the boat was loaded with the kids stuff as we went to the lake for five weeks.

Mine has been to the dealer, but at least my dealer is terrific and a breeze to deal with, if you can get a warranty I would do so to date they have covered everything I have asked about to include a burnt out head light.

Just my opinion and we love ours.

I keep vehicles a long time so reliability is key for me. To buy used, 2-3 years old is a sweet spot on price and usually there is enough information out on repair records for the model by then.

Given my style the Range Rovers would have a long way to go in the reliability factor to gain my trust.

I do like the looks though.

Edited by dlb

I bought a new Range Rover some time back. 16 trips to the dealer in just over a year, unloaded it with 17k on the odometer. Looked great, drove great (BMW 4.4L V8 in it) and had a great interior….even towed the SLXi great as well. Was just the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned.

I bought a new Range Rover some time back. 16 trips to the dealer in just over a year, unloaded it with 17k on the odometer. Looked great, drove great (BMW 4.4L V8 in it) and had a great interior….even towed the SLXi great as well. Was just the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned.

just curious, were these debilitating issues or just little stuff?

just curious, were these debilitating issues or just little stuff?

Nothing that prevented it from getting from point A to B, but I recall:

auto climate control stopped working in the summer - fan would blow but A/C wouldn't cool

power drivers seat / mirror / steering adjustment via memory wouldn't remember. Steering wheel would auto move to the farthest away, highest up position.

Sunroof stopped opening

auto leveling suspension stopped working

left rear window regulator broke

navigation system went out

End of the day, it was a $70k+ ride and needed lots of attention