Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lifter sticking

My engine was making a strange noise, so I had a friend who is a car mechanic stop by and listen to it while I had a fake a wake hooked up to it. He said it sounded like one of the lifters sticking. So off to the shop I go again.

This last year has kind of sucked. Last October I busted my eardrum. I went to the doctor they said it would heal on its own and gave me some antibiotics Well long story short it never got better and keep getting worse. Several trips to the doctor later I had reconstructive surgery to make me a new ear drum. Well I finally got cleared to start riding again on 8/11 almost a year later.

Well that's when my boat started acting up. I changed impeller, fuel filters, plugs, new distributor, new fuel pump etc.

I haven't gotten to ride in almost a year and I'm loosing my patients. End rant.

Rotella oil....We get trucks all the time in my shop that are noisy as can be. 9 out of 10 times if we change the oil with Rotella and a quart of Lucas Oil Treatment the noisy lifters disappear....granted if they have collapsed all the way it may not help but worth the try!

Rotella oil....We get trucks all the time in my shop that are noisy as can be. 9 out of 10 times if we change the oil with Rotella and a quart of Lucas Oil Treatment the noisy lifters disappear....granted if they have collapsed all the way it may not help but worth the try!

+1 for this. If it is starting to cool off you can benefit from the 5-40 synthetic because it will behave like a 5w oil at colder temps and lubricate faster. My 99 suburban would knock on startup with the 15-40 Rotella but the 5-40 it ran smooth and quiet.

If changing the oil doesn't work, let me know and you can get in a few sets behind my boat. I will be going out for the next few weekends until hunting season starts. I will be skiing a little further south on the river for now on since a 10' gator was spotted at Lazarre this weekend swimming around!

Food for thought: I was able to cure sticky lifters in an SUV by using 0W-30 synthetic oil. It was painful just to contemplate a "zero" weight oil, but I guess it's not so bad...ran it for one oil change cycle and went back to 15W-40 synthetic afterward. Worked great, never had the lifters rattle again.