Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I have to face it...my season is at its END..

Afun

Went out yesterday with the kids. No wind, 71 air temp, 67 water temp. That will be the last day the kids get out and try to swim. I'm hoping to ski once or twice before I hang it up. I don't own a wet suit yet. Winterize in two weeks :cry:

OK, so for you guys in TN - what in the world constitutes cold in terms of air and water temps? I have a feeling your season would be 2 weeks long in MN - Maybe.

I've wondered the same thing. The water never even hit 80 here I don't think.

Went out yesterday with the kids. No wind, 71 air temp, 67 water temp. That will be the last day the kids get out and try to swim. I'm hoping to ski once or twice before I hang it up. I don't own a wet suit yet. Winterize in two weeks :cry:

I've wondered the same thing. The water never even hit 80 here I don't think.

One of the lakes I use might have hit 80 - shallow lake. That lake has cooled down to maybe 60-65 already. Minnetonka I don't think ever got over 75, which is fine and it was still around 70ish last week. Rule of thumb is as long as air plus water = 100 degrees you are good to go, although we've pushed that one in the spring a few times too;)

I will probably still get out a few more times with the guys but the kids are more than likely done. Lake is down 17 feet (thanks TVA) and will drop like a hammer unless we get a significant rain storm. Air temps this weekend will be in the mid to low 70's and water temp is still in the low 70's and dropping. In the next few weeks you really need to know the lay of the land to find the good places to ride and not run into dirt.

And yes we are wimps down here compared to you guys in Minnesota.

And yes we are wimps down here compared to you guys in Minnesota.

That's alright, we can't handle 100+ temps and bathwater temp lakes so it all evens out. I've only been in a lake once that was 85-90 degrees and I felt sick the whole time we were there.

OK, so for you guys in TN - what in the world constitutes cold in terms of air and water temps? I have a feeling your season would be 2 weeks long in MN - Maybe.

In GA, for me air temp + water temp > 120. Once it gets consistently below that, I'm done.

Edited by mikeyg

Cripes, 82 water temp. I love the complaining this time of year.

Not usually the cold in Wisconsin but the school activities that stop the boating. Fall days for footing are great. No one on the water. :)

When I jump in the water, I just like the fact that it's still wet.

Edited by footndale
  • Like 3

I'm not from TN but have lived here for almost 8 years now. Pretty much every year I've made it to the first weekend in November with just trunks. I usually go straight from trunks to a dry suit after that. I run the O'neill hybrid which is about the same as a wetsuit anyways.

While the lake levels here do lower in the winter months, they never ice over so you can boat year round if you're inclined to do so

water temp is still 79 here. This was an epic gorgeous weekend.

water level here has dropped 2ft, folks are starting to tear up their props.........hem.

water level has dropped almost 7' here so far. It's 60-110' where we ride still. ha

Saturday, air temp 88, water temp 83.

When water hits 80 I'll break out the wet suit. I spend so much time in 85-90 degree water, that when you hit 79 degrees, I'm in panic mode.

I usually grab a heater top when the water gets below 70.

I was born in Houston.

Birmingham is the furthest north I've ever lived.

I would scream like a little girl in 70 degree water. I'm not even ashamed of myself.

I keep it real with yall - I don't do cold water.

We went out Saturday, kids skied and wakeboarded then we had to make an emergency run to the marina for a #2 stop, wind had kicked up and the kids were complaining (water too cold to swim etc) so the boat came out of the water and they played outside. Looking at the forecast for next weekend I might be hanging it up early this year as well.

:cry:

I've been on Douglas in late October several years ago...very low. Needed help from the Point Marina using their tractor to pull my boat out of their ramp. I asked them to do it for me before I launched.

Our water temp is about 67, which might sound cold, but it peaks at 70, so its really not bad for us. Last weekend was awesome. Hardly any boat traffic and we had a lot of good riding time. This weekend is supposed to be really nice. I am going to make the most of it, then pull the boat Sunday evening. It pains me to do this. We typically ride through Oct. We have a lot on our plates in October this year though so I have decided that this weekend is it :(