Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First service cost

Jusmud

Hi guys

As a newbie of a 2015 VLX i need some advice please.

Ok just racked up my first 10 hrs since i picked up the boat in June (its winter here in the Southern part of Australia ).

The boat is booked in for its first service on Wednesday this week.

Couple of questions from the uninitiated

* What can i expect to pay

* According to the manual they should change both engine & trans oils/ fluid.

* The Maliview system states a lot of check this check that...is there something i should specifically get the service guys to look at?

Admin if this has been covered in past topics my apologies as i did a search for service costs etc couldn't find any information.

Many thank

Ian

Hi guys

As a newbie of a 2015 VLX i need some advice please.

Ok just racked up my first 10 hrs since i picked up the boat in June (its winter here in the Southern part of Australia ).

The boat is booked in for its first service on Wednesday this week.

Couple of questions from the uninitiated

* What can i expect to pay

* According to the manual they should change both engine & trans oils/ fluid.

* The Maliview system states a lot of check this check that...is there something i should specifically get the service guys to look at?

Admin if this has been covered in past topics my apologies as i did a search for service costs etc couldn't find any information.

Many thank

Ian

Hey mate. Mine is getting her 10 hour service right now - I pick her up Thursday. I will let you know how much

I have listed the exact breakdown of all associated costs with your first service below. I have some friends that covertly provided these details:

$29.99 Receive your boat and fluff you up at the service desk with false boat care narratives and hollow compliments about your choice of model / colors: 15 minutes

$49.99 Shop talk, coffee drinking and back slapping about the customer and how worried he is about his boat being "babied" while its in their greasy shop: 60 minutes

$99.99 Wrench banging, swearing and complaining about tight f'n spaces. Techs will then toss screws and tools into your engine compartment: 30 minutes

$39.99 Guy with rivets on his jeans will sit on the edge of your boat and shoot the s**t with his boss, hop off and leave lasting scars: 15 minutes

$9.99 Boat will be loosely covered in a windstorm outside for at least 18 to 32 hours.

Eventually they will drain the oil and replace and someone will give you a call and tell you its ready. After you forget to do a walk around, you will falsely assume that a family member scratched your boat and you left several tools in the bilge. Enjoy!

:rofl: This folks is why I do my own maintenance. And yes it does take two glasses of Cabernet, dinner and sitting in the driveway overnight to properly drain the oil. :whistle:

• Like 2

I think I paid around $280 (USD) for the first service..........but there's always something I find that I want to add on and ends up a little more! ;)

EDIT: As for the 'check this, check that' part, if you do it at a Malibu dealer they'll know what to look for and should know what to do. If you go elsewhere.......you probably better fill them in on your expectations.

Edited by Sixer

you realize that the folks and or employees that do the actual work, ie change the oil are minimum wage workers, typically someone's kid who needed a summer job. The same kid that has no experience working on boats and is the main reason the oil filter is torqued down to where it is now hermetically sealed and will need the jaws of life to remove it next time!

you realize that the folks and or employees that do the actual work, ie change the oil are minimum wage workers, typically someone's kid who needed a summer job. The same kid that has no experience working on boats and is the main reason the oil filter is torqued down to where it is now hermetically sealed and will need the jaws of life to remove it next time!

The factory is who hermetically seals the filter on, if my dealer did that we would be having a conversation for sure

At least my dealer is not like this. I've seen the same few techs for years there.

like when you arrive at the dealer early and observe the kid pouring the wrong oil (non syn 15w-40) in your new 60K Malibu, where the correct oil is 5w30 full synthetic Mobil 1. The LS3 engine says that on the oil cap atop the valve covers.

And like REW, I do my own maintance and sleep well at night, knowing it was done correctly. ANd you can use premium oil filters,, WIX in my case, rather than the Penzoil, which are just as worthless as FRAM oil filters.

Cost? It is always too much.

Peace of mind from having it done professionally? Priceless.

PLUS, it's all just another part of the boat tax scheme.

Totally disagree with the second line. All the issues I've had and my friends have had are because the the professionals screwed up the service.

Do it yourself so it's done right. Nobody cares more about your boat than you do.

• Like 3

I just had my 10 hr a few months ago. $400. The once yearly service quote was $500. Dealer said the difference was not changing impeller on first service but on all future they would change it.

I have little interest in doing this work so that seemed reasonable to me.

Ok so dropped off the boat this morning & introduced myself to the service manager.

As he was enjoying his first of many cups of coffee that day I bombarded him with my rookie questions about what was going to be done today.

I received a call from him this afternoon to advise that all was in order & my boat was ready for collection.

Upon arrival he went through everything that was done & assured me that if there was any issues within the next 50 hrs I am to contact him directly. (Which was reassuring)

I haven't been able to check the workmanship but will go over that later.

As promised I have attached the job sheet showing what work was performed

Total cost was $397.84 AUD

I would be interested in what you guys think

20150916_184144_zpsuron0dw6.jpg

Edited by Jusmud

Ok so dropped off the boat this morning & introduced myself to the service manager.

As he was enjoying his first of many cups of coffee that day I bombarded him with my rookie questions about what was going to be done today.

I received a call from him this afternoon to advise that all was in order & my boat was ready for collection.

Upon arrival he went through everything that was done & assured me that if there was any issues within the next 50 hrs I am to contact him directly. (Which was reassuring)

I think you just paid $400 for an oil change. Is it required that the dealer perform these services for warranty?

I'm in the wrong business. That should take about an hour.