Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picky Issues with My New 2016 VLX

mallen

20 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I have had plenty of Vinyl issues in my boat. Both rear locker sections replaced, center seat cushion, drivers seat.   My dealer has been great....Malibu tried its best to get out of repairing the rear locker sections but eventually they caved.   The issues never really bothered me that much,  I made note, contacted my dealer and the vinyl was replaced over the winter.  Less wear and tear on the new skins in my opinion.   

What will be annoying is once its out of warranty, vinyl should last without repairs for years , not just a couple hundred hrs.  Although according to the warranty department at Malibu putting on more than 90hrs a season is considered excessive.   

Interesting.  Just curious, is this part a Malibu's written warranty, kind of like miles on a car?

Just now, MadMan said:

Interesting.  Just curious, is this part a Malibu's written warranty, kind of like miles on a car?

Nowhere that I've seen. There is a clause about commercial use like every other manufacturer has. I don't see how that would apply in his case though.

15 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I see,  they warrantee'd it and that wasn't good enough because you had to jump through a "bunch of hoops".  And in the end they warrantee'd.  Is your expectation that they should just send out skins, or it reasonable to inquire of your use, maintenance habits, care, and document with pictures?  

I've never had a vinyl problem.  Some boats I've kept many seasons.  Yet I go on a lot of other people's boats who treat the interior like a trampoline.  Of course they're going to have problems.  Are you in that latter category?  I dunno, I don't know your habits, but with careful use, in my experience, I have no reason to think I'd ever have an interior issue.  In fact the 04 sunscape is still in the family and it has nary a split anywhere and sits in southern sun year round on a lift (covered but not shaded).

85 I pointed out that I am happy with the end results and Malibu covering what they should under warranty.  I also noted that the repairs didn't really bother me as I would just wait and replace everything after the season even when the skins came in.   Does that change the fact that I still believe a new boat should not have this many vinyl issues (let me also note that I am not the exception to this). 

I will provide evidence of my interior care habits as soon as you provide evidence that the new VTX skis as well as the old ones. 

I hope you continue to purchase perfect boats from Malibu.

Why wouldn't all the same people stick up for Malibu....I would too, if I got a bro deal, or was a dealer, or associated with a dealer.  

For the record I am happy with my Malibu...I love the boat  I am just pointing out Malibu has some Quality issues that should be addressed

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
44 minutes ago, MadMan said:

No it was just a BS comment the warranty rep made to me on phone as one of the reasons they were denying my claim initially.  It gave me a good laugh. 

47 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

85 I pointed out that I am happy with the end results and Malibu covering what they should under warranty.  I also noted that the repairs didn't really bother me as I would just wait and replace everything after the season even when the skins came in.   Does that change the fact that I still believe a new boat should not have this many vinyl issues (let me also note that I am not the exception to this). 

I will provide evidence of my interior care habits as soon as you provide evidence that the new VTX skis as well as the old ones. 

I hope you continue to purchase perfect boats from Malibu.

So the repairs don't bother you but you don't believe a new boat should not have "this many" vinyl issues.  Unless I misread, you has a panel repaired annually your first three years, is that correct?  I don't see how that squares.  You clearly are not happy.  And I'm not saying you necessarily should be, but if the end result is you got new panels, I don't see the gripe, but that's just me.  Clearly the panels replaced were in high traffic areas.  So, does it at least raise the discussion (here and for Malibu) that the interior wasn't being treated carefully?  I dunno, but you convinced Malibu you were being reasonable, and they warranty'd.  So, good for you.  I don't understand the mindset that you're unhappy with that result.

Unfortunately I can't.  Sold it.  I will however test a 21 VLX w my prop theory.

My boats haven't been perfect, although some have.  In my last boat the amp board "fell" during transport and had to be remounted.  One of the seat cushion brackets was not quite perfect.  I found a harness on a DC outlet disconnected.  I didn't prefer the factory tune of the stereo.  It's not the end of the world and all got fixed.  In the end, its a great boat that with probably 1000 hand screwed items had some minor flaws.  I'd buy again.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
37 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Why wouldn't all you "happy people" stick up for Malibu....I would too, if I got a bro deal, or was a dealer, or associated with a dealer.  

For the record I am happy with my Malibu...I love the boat  I am just pointing out Malibu has some Quality issues that should be addressed

Like what?  Your vinyl separated at the seam in a high traffic area?  That's a boat vinyl issue since the beginning of time, on every manufacturer.  I think every manufacturer struggles with that and does all they can.  Care and UV exposure has a huge impact on its longevity.  Sorry, I just don't see it as something a QC foreperson should have "noticed" before shipping.  

24 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Why wouldn't all you "happy people" stick up for Malibu....I would too, if I got a bro deal, or was a dealer, or associated with a dealer.  

The vinyl issue is not just limited to Malibu's.  It's funny because there have been various solutions out there.  On the M235 and now MXZ, you can solve the problem for a few hundred bucks by adding step down seats.  Tige has their corner seats reversible so for ingress/egress flip the seat over and it's a non skid surface, and saves the vinyl.  

Believe me I agree that there is ample room for improvement.  One of the downsides with being the largest market share AND publicly traded is a balance must be maintained.  Is it worth the cost to upgrade "X" or repair the % of failures.  It would appear that the stitching is one where shipping replacement skins is cheaper.  

In disclosure I had this problem on my 2014, within 90 days of delivery, on both corners.  My dealer at the time (not Boulder), told me this was VERY common, they ordered new skins, sent them out to be double stitched and the problem did not reoccur. 

50 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

So the repairs don't bother you but you don't believe a new boat should not have "this many" vinyl issues.  Unless I misread, you has a panel repaired annually your first three years, is that correct?  I don't see how that squares.  You clearly are not happy.  And I'm not saying you necessarily should be, but if the end result is you got new panels, I don't see the gripe, but that's just me.  Clearly the panels replaced were in high traffic areas.  So, does it at least raise the discussion (here and for Malibu) that the interior wasn't being treated carefully?  I dunno, but you convinced Malibu you were being reasonable, and they warranty'd.  So, good for you.  I don't understand the mindset that you're unhappy with that result.

Unfortunately I can't.  Sold it.  I will however test a 21 VLX w my prop theory.

My boats haven't been perfect, although some have.  In my last boat the amp board "fell" during transport and had to be remounted.  One of the seat cushion brackets was not quite perfect.  I found a harness on a DC outlet disconnected.  I didn't prefer the factory tune of the stereo.  It's not the end of the world and all got fixed.  In the end, its a great boat that with probably 1000 hand screwed items had some minor flaws.  I'd buy again.  

37 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Like what?  Your vinyl separated at the seam in a high traffic area?  That's a boat vinyl issue since the beginning of time, on every manufacturer.  I think every manufacturer struggles with that and does all they can.  Care and UV exposure has a huge impact on its longevity.  Sorry, I just don't see it as something a QC foreperson should have "noticed" before shipping.  

^^UV exposure in Ohio after a year :rofl:      I understand your point on QC checks before leaving the factory, but the driver seat missing a complete section of stitching is......  Sorry but I guess my definition of a quality doesn't just limit the time frame to initial delivery, we must differ on that..... 

This is standard for this site.....it is the same people in every thread about Malibu issues, or complaints, or criticisms of Malibu that immediately rush to Malibu's defense and either cast blame, or think a consumer is being unreasonable.  

I am not a disgruntled customer by any means, do I have a few complaints, sure, where the handled to my satisfaction, for the most the part, except one that was an annoyance. 

God forbid someone point these out and suggest that Malibu reinforce, or redesign known areas of failure.     

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 1
Just now, Chrisjjbrown said:

^^I understand that but the driver seat missing a complete section of stitching is......  Sorry but I guess my definition of a quality doesn't just limit the time frame to initial delivery, we must differ on that..... 

This is standard for this site.....it is the same people in every thread about Malibu issues, or complaints, or criticisms of Malibu that immediately rush to Malibu's defense and either cast blame, or think a consumer is being unreasonable.  

I am not a disgruntled customer by any means, do I have a few complaints, sure, where the handled to my satisfaction, for the most the part, except one that was an annoyance. 

God forbid someone point these out and suggest that Malibu reinforce, or redesign known areas of failure.     

I don't think I said you're being unreasonable.  I said I don't understand the mindset that there is something to gripe about when they have done what you asked. 

Do you really think that Malibu, or any manufacturer for that matter, is not aware of how many times it sends replacement skins?  Nor, for that matter, people on here, many with the same issues?  Given the rapid changes in materials and design, I don't think this issue is falling on deaf ears at all.  Vinyl can only be made so strong and maintain its pliability.  Every "seam" failure I've seen is actually the vinyl tearing, not the seams unraveling.  And, every boat I've seen with a vinyl issue fits the same mold.  Heavy traffic (not related to hours) and improperly cared for.  Does that mean you're in that mold?  Not necessarily, I'm far from Malibu's warranty department, but I also wouldn't think they should just ship out replacement skins to Dan Bilzerian when he has 20 people dancing on his boat at all times.  

• Like 2

Quality of a product has many components, it's not exclusively manufacturing.  A poorly designed part, even if it's manufactured perfectly, will not be a quality part.

• Like 3
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, Chrisjjbrown said:

I have had plenty of Vinyl issues in my boat. Both rear locker sections replaced, center seat cushion, drivers seat.   My dealer has been great....Malibu tried its best to get out of repairing the rear locker sections but eventually they caved.   The issues never really bothered me that much,  I made note, contacted my dealer and the vinyl was replaced over the winter.  Less wear and tear on the new skins in my opinion.   

What will be annoying is once its out of warranty, vinyl should last without repairs for years , not just a couple hundred hrs.  Although according to the warranty department at Malibu putting on more than 90hrs a season is considered excessive.   

3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I don't think I said you're being unreasonable.  I said I don't understand the mindset that there is something to gripe about when they have done what you asked. 

Do you really think that Malibu, or any manufacturer for that matter, is not aware of how many times it sends replacement skins?  Nor, for that matter, people on here, many with the same issues?  Given the rapid changes in materials and design, I don't think this issue is falling on deaf ears at all.  Vinyl can only be made so strong and maintain its pliability.  Every "seam" failure I've seen is actually the vinyl tearing, not the seams unraveling.  And, every boat I've seen with a vinyl issue fits the same mold.  Heavy traffic (not related to hours) and improperly cared for.  Does that mean you're in that mold?  Not necessarily, I'm far from Malibu's warranty department, but I also wouldn't think they should just ship out replacement skins to Dan Bilzerian when he has 20 people dancing on his boat at all times.  

85 this thread got way off track but if you see my initial post does this really read like someone who is seriously gripping about Malibu.  

Only once it was inferred by you and others with out any knowledge that my issues where the results of my own neglect for my boat, and also claimed Malibu has never denied a warranty claim on vinyl , did I share details on my experience.  

No I don't think it is unreasonable for Malibu or any other manufacture to request proof.  After receiving proof and still denying claim, then approving the same claim 6 months later

Is it possible to be happy with the end result and still be annoyed with the process it took to get to the end result,  for sure. 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

This has nothing to do with anything, but my buddy just bought a new Nautique and found a cordless impact driver in the engine compartment, a half box of screws under the passenger seat and zip ties somewhere else. He came out a winner that day...

• Like 2
Just now, RedOwl said:

This has nothing to do with anything, but my buddy just bought a new Nautique and found a cordless impact driver in the engine compartment, a half box of screws under the passenger seat and zip ties somewhere else. He came out a winner that day...

What kind of driver? 

On 2/28/2017 at 2:13 PM, Ronnie said:

Unlucky for the guy trying to peck out a living and lost an expensive tool...

My buddy certainly feel good about that part. In fact, he did tell the owner of the dealer he purchased from and the dealer only apologized that his crew didn't catch it (or the other items) when they were prepping the boat - he even offered by friend a credit for the pro shop credit (which Kyle declined).

• 11 months later...

I own a 2015 LSV and love it. As close to perfect as it could be. Looked at a 2017 LSV carry over to replace and couldn't do it. Cushion finish was at best poor. Couldn't remove some cushions without removing others because they would bind. Salesman even called one of the covering materials "plastic like." Very disappointed. Will keep my 2015 and hope Malibu does better over the next year or two. If not will be forced shop the competitors.

18 minutes ago, pokeefe314 said:

I own a 2015 LSV and love it. As close to perfect as it could be. Looked at a 2017 LSV carry over to replace and couldn't do it. Cushion finish was at best poor. Couldn't remove some cushions without removing others because they would bind. Salesman even called one of the covering materials "plastic like." Very disappointed. Will keep my 2015 and hope Malibu does better over the next year or two. If not will be forced shop the competitors.

I thought that I was the only one....  I love the "comfort" of my 14.  Rounded corners and all!