Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 247 with Hammerhead 383 - Surging/Missing/Running Rough

TexasAg98

I purchased a 2008 Malibu 247 LSV with the Indmar Hammerhead 383 engine in June with 300 hours on it. When on the water test, the engine was occasionally surging/missing/running rough. I was told it was just a bad distributor cap and it would be replaced. The dealership replaced it and performed a full service on the boat. For about 10 to 15 hours the boat ran great. Now the problem has come back. The engine currently has about 330 hours on it.

Generally it seems to happen when running around 15 mph. If I give it throttle to get up to around 19 mph or reduce throttle to get down to around 12 mph it seems to smooth out. It seems to also happen again around 30 mph. Also, the issue seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have only been using the recommended octane fuel in it, and it has lasted longer than a tank of gas, so I would not assume at this point that it was bad gas.

I have contacted the dealership to find out exactly what all they replaced when they performed the service prior to me picking up the boat, and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Any ideas of what could be causing this issue, or things to check would greatly be appreciated.

Did that "full service" include a new fuel filter? Have you pulled any plugs to check their condition?

Can't get a straight answer from the dealership as to if the "full service" included a new fuel filter or not. They just want me to bring it in for them to look at. I will probably just replace the fuel filter, so I know for sure. Can you tell me where the fuel filter is located? Is there just one?

I have not pulled the plugs yet, but plan on doing that tomorrow. I just got the boat back to the house where I can start to really look into this problem.

Do you happen to have a part number for the fuel filter(s)? Also do you know p/n's for the plugs and wires too in case I decide to replace those as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I have quite a bit of experience with car engines, but this is really my first go around with a marine engine.

Thanks!

No idea on the plugs and wires. Get a good snap ring plier set to change the fuel filter.

Yesterday I got a chance to look at it. I replaced the plugs, none of them were fouled, but they did have some age on them. I then attempted to replace the fuel filter, however, I can't seem to find it. Below is a pic, but I can not find a snap ring anywhere to remove. Any ideas? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

IMG_16192_zpsyzuiqkbx.jpg

Edited by TexasAg98