Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Super duty oil change (diesel)

Stevo

I'm due for an oil change on my f350 6.7l and would like to know if anyone has a few tips or tricks on minimizing the mess that is draining 13.25q of oil out of the pan. Drain plug is at the back of the pan facing the rear end.

The shear volume of liquid made quite a mess using my standard drain catch.

I was thinking of rigging up a 5gal bucket with some sort of backstop to redirect the oil into the bucket, but it's possible that will also splash and make a mess as well

i bought a Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve. I the first oil change is messy, just like a normal oil change. Then after that an oil change is just a 90% turn and no mess.

I put one of those on a boat I had many years ago. Thought about putting one on my car/truck, but was nervous about a rock hitting the valve and opening it...

Mine has worked great for my F250 7.3 long bed. I have taken my truck on 4x4 trails, pismo, rocky fire trails and a ton of highway mile without issue. There are a ton of things in your chassis that will hit before your drain plug. I worried about the same thing before i bought mine and having a trail of oil following me down the road. It's been rock steady reliable.

I don't know if it's the sAme in the 6.7 as my 6.0 but buy the firs motor craft filters... I didn't and was nothing but problems down the road.... Ford diesels are picky and aftermarket filters just didn't cut it.... Wish I found out a few bucks sooner.

I don't know if it's the sAme in the 6.7 as my 6.0 but buy the firs motor craft filters... I didn't and was nothing but problems down the road.... Ford diesels are picky and aftermarket filters just didn't cut it.... Wish I found out a few bucks sooner.

Yeah only running the motorcraft.

Trade it in on a cummins that has the drain plug facing the ground.

The better suggestion would be to buy a house with a shop and lift large enough to work under the truck

I make my wife do it and use the cardboard for myself to lay on while I watch

Oh yeah?

Well I make my wife pay the mortgage and I only pay for the property tax. :biggrin:

I make my wife do it and use the cardboard for myself to lay on while I watch

First liar never stands a chance...

I have my wife and her friends change the oil. They don't use a catch pan because they like to wrestle after....in her friends garage of course, i wouldn't want that much oil on my garage floor...

I have the 7 days or 700 mile oil change interval....

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Haha!! This brings back memories of the first time i changed the oil in my 6.7!! After getting over the shock of a plastic drain plug, i pulled it and oil shot out like froma fire hose!! I had oil everywhere! I just so happened to do this oil change in the yard, and had a dead spot in the grass for a year until i dugthe dirt up and replaced it. Good times!

I just take mine to the local exhaust/oil change shop. I buy all my oil/filters and they charge 10 bucks to change it. Much easier and well worth it. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue on my 6.7 cummims on the first few oil changes. Especially when warm, the oil comes out very fast and will make a mess while splashing in the oil drain pan. 40 percent of my driving is off road on logging roads so I'm very hesitant replacing the drain plug with a valve. I change my oil once a month (3500 miles a month of driving) and have found the best way to keep from making a mess is throwing on some rubber gloves and actually holding the drain plug in the drain hole and only letting a small amount of volume out. Once you let around 30 percent of the oil out you can pull the plug and it won't make a mess.

• 1 month later...

http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?partname=F106N&partnumber=33 Has anybody ever used, an oil drain valve like this?

I've used one on a boat, it seemed well built.

I would be a little apprehensive using it on a truck, I'd be afraid a rock might fly up and hit the lever, opening the valve, and draining all my oil. But that's just me.

First liar never stands a chance...

I have my wife and her friends change the oil. They don't use a catch pan because they like to wrestle after....in her friends garage of course, i wouldn't want that much oil on my garage floor...

I have the 7 days or 700 mile oil change interval....

Pictures Please!!