Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A trend?

TCdave

The old saying is still valid: those that can't ski, wakeboard.

It probably is a trend, and I fully support it, but most won't realize it because the skiers are out there at first light and done and off the water before the boarding drunks even wake up.

Ouch....

Depends on how you define wakeboard... "anybody" can hold on the rope with a board strapped to their feet... That's not wakeboarding...

Typically you just skip and slide in a slalom fall

LOL! Unless you get a little out of position and go out the front! :cry: But I still love it, plus nothing like being humbled by trying the course, unfortunately I tend to hurt myself more doing silly stuff, like diving off a houseboat and dislocating my shoulder, done for the season! :(:( Cant wait to get back out there though, nothing better than either first light or right before sunset with glass water and nobody else around..hearing that ski whistle along! :clap:

Edited by Skier007

Definitely not a trend on our lake community. The good old days of 3-6 DD boats (2-3 skiers per boat) taking turns to use the course is down to 3-4 skiers. The wakeboard/surf crowd is the norm with only a few that respect the need for lack of wakes by the course. Nothing worse than trying to run a 32off & see them heading right down by the course with 10 min or so of backwash. Frustrating for sure considering we have a horseshoe type lake that can accommodate both. Luckily for us, most of the vdrive crowd cant seem to make it out till 11am.

From a guy who has fast cars I would assume you would want to know the acceleration generated while slalom skiing. It's something I can't really explain or give an equivalent to. It takes about 17 seconds to get through the slalom course and you make 6 turns. There is some crazy acceleration and forces going on. A rush like no other!

You have my attention... tell me more. haha

When we leave out of the marina we always head up to the slalom course. I get around the corner when I can see it and I drop to an idle speed and cruise the last 100-150 yards at idle so I don't ruin the water. We park off to the side and watch if someone is out there. I've talked to the single stick guys a couple of times. Super nice once they find out you're not a douchewaffle wakeboarder that's just there to wake everyone out of their minds with no regard for other folks.

They've offered me a tow a couple times, but I seriously doubt I'm skilled enough to get up from a standstill on one ski. ha

Edited by ibelonginprison

I'm also in the crowd of afternoon and evening boating. I like evenings. On my lake, I see only me on slalom, maybe 2 wake boarders and about 80 others on jetskis and boats pulling tubes. I wish the ski trend would come to my lake.

We often get referred to as "old school" for having a TXI and slalom skiing. Maybe so, but it sure does give a rush when cutting across the wake. And think of the practical benefits: You'll likely save a lot of $$$ when purchasing a Response relative to the biggest wake machine (which are getting bigger all the time), and you'll develop a refined, technical, and competitive skill. Perhaps "old school" today, but like many things that come full circle, time will tell...

That is cause water becomes cement like when going fast. Depending on line length, you can be scooting along at a pretty good clip....enough to produce magnificent yard sales!

Always love the comment by Rathburn...said you could take the best baseball players and best waterskiers and have them switch sports....Gordon said the waterskiers would be hitting 90+ mph fastballs, but the baseball players would not be skiing 35 off.

Even sitting in the boat and watching Mike Champion ski 39 1/2 off at 36 mph...it just doesn't register how fricking azz hard that is and how fast they are zipping along...and how much technique is involved...it has nothing/very little to do with strength.

I like to do it all but skiing is still my favorite because of the feeling carving turns and the speed crossing the wake. Nothing like it. Would love to see skiing make a come back. That's what I am teaching my kids.

The trend on my lake is tubing. Almost no one surfs. A few wakeboarders and skiers.

The reason for that is the general population on that lake bought the homes during the 1960s and 1970s and now they are all aging. There are a ton of older I/Os out there.

The tubing trend, I believe, is the grandkids lol.

We often get referred to as "old school" for having a TXI and slalom skiing. Maybe so, but it sure does give a rush when cutting across the wake. And think of the practical benefits: You'll likely save a lot of $$$ when purchasing a Response relative to the biggest wake machine (which are getting bigger all the time), and you'll develop a refined, technical, and competitive skill. Perhaps "old school" today, but like many things that come full circle, time will tell...

I've lost track of how many times we have been asked who owns or where our parents live because of our TXi. Or. "Why doesn't it have one of those roll bar tower thingys?"

I've lost track of how many times we have been asked who owns or where our parents live because of our TXi. Or. "Why doesn't it have one of those roll bar tower thingys?"

When I was talking to a couple of single stick guys and they asked if I wanted a tow, I said "that's not for me, I just like to come watch you guys come try to hurt yourselves"

The wife looked at me, laughed and said "like you can talk, with all that sh- hanging off the side of your boat."

Well played, woman... well played.

The old saying is still valid: those that can't ski, wakeboard.It probably is a trend, and I fully support it, but most won't realize it because the skiers are out there at first light and done and off the water before the boarding drunks even wake up.

And those that can't wakeboard...surf And those that can't Surf....tube And those that won't tube...drink beer....well everybody drinks beer

I do admire watching someone slalom...I also like the look of those go fast boats like Hopkins has without the tower and the coca in the rear lockers

Just got back from the cabin. Its cold and a little windy but no other boats. So a call to one of my ski buds and we hit the lake till sun set.

At 64 I still need to get the 36mph at 35 off runs in. If its not exciting why bother? Just so much fun to feel the fores of a good turn and exhilaration.

I was so happy to sell my V drive after my son went off to school and get back to a DD and a wake or lack of to get aggressive again.

Never got into wake boarding, did it but just not for me. And I don't see excitement in surfing. Maybe when I get old!. ;)

All of that Sixball PLUS, you don't want to have to do the name change thingy.

You have my attention... tell me more. haha

When we leave out of the marina we always head up to the slalom course. I get around the corner when I can see it and I drop to an idle speed and cruise the last 100-150 yards at idle so I don't ruin the water. We park off to the side and watch if someone is out there. I've talked to the single stick guys a couple of times. Super nice once they find out you're not a douchewaffle wakeboarder that's just there to wake everyone out of their minds with no regard for other folks.

They've offered me a tow a couple times, but I seriously doubt I'm skilled enough to get up from a standstill on one ski. ha

I would take them up on their offer. You will probably be surprised that you can get up. I am sure they have some pointers that will help you out. It isn't that much different than wakeboarding. Same basic concepts. Knees tucked, arms out, let the boat pull you up...

I agree with ahopkins. You might just find that you enjoy the heck out of it and end up with a boat that has an engine facing the right direction.... :Tease3:

All kidding aside, the acceleration that ahopkins mentioned earlier in the thread is addicting. I'm the type of guy who has always gotten off on anything with a throttle at the right hand; snowmobile, motorcycle, etc. Anything that would give the thrill of near instant and rapid acceleration. Skiing is much like that, but each pass is only 17 seconds and you get 6 of those per set with 3-4 sets per outing.