Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice on used 2013 A22

KHC

I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a few weeks learning what I can. I'm in the market for a used wake boat, and most of what I'm looking at is around ten years old and in the low $30k range. However, I came across this 2013 A22 for sale at the asking price of $40k:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2013-Axis-A22-for-sale-Irmo-South-Carolina-45870.aspx

Unfortunately, the boat is several hours away from me, so I'm hoping the experts around here will share their opinions about whether this boat is worth considering before I make the drive to check it out. I've spoken with the seller (who is very forthright about everything), and basically the story on this boat is that it has been used at Lake Murray Boat Club in South Carolina. It has around 750 hours but has been maintained "meticulously" according to the manufacturer's schedule. Additionally, it has been waxed every 100 hours or so. The only repairs they have done are for minor cosmetic issues, like replacing rubrail caps. It seems to have all the basics except plug and play ballast. If you look at the pictures in the link, you'll notice the cushion in the bow walk through area is missing. Apparently they removed it to avoid damaging it from all the traffic and installed a fiberglass platform. The platform can be removed, and the stock cushion comes with the boat.

I mostly would like to know what you think about how much I should be concerned about the number of hours and the fact that it has been used by a boat club. Also, do you think the price sufficiently accounts for those concerns? I intend to keep whatever boat I buy for at least a few years and I'm at least reasonably handy with a wrench, so I don't mind doing some repairs here and there. This boat seems like it might be a unique opportunity to get into a newer model with a lot of the updated amenities that ten year old boats lack, but at the same time, I'm not looking for a project either.

Thanks in advance. I've already learned a lot from reading the informative posts around here, and I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

The seller referred to it as a 22 when I talked to him. It's also listed as a 22 on other websites with virtually identical ads along with the boat club's website. It seems unlikely someone would have made that mistake several times, but I don't know. Are there any identifying distinctions between the two that we could tell from these photos?

kx, would you be concerned that those hours came from boat club use instead of a private owner? I've seen lots of talk about these engines lasting for a couple thousand hours or more when well cared for, but I'm not sure what kind of use the engine would be getting at a boat club. I doubt the boat was weighted down real heavy, but I wonder how often people would run wide open for a long time or do something else with the boat, just because they don't own it, that a private owner would be unlikely to do.

Hours don't matter, upkeep does. It seems to have some options but I notice no heater. I would buy that boat if it was any color but red and not think twice about it.

The boat club use would probably not be that bad honestly. The people who join a boat club aren't running the boats super hard. They probably take more of a beating on interior and such though. The dealer can hook it up to a computer and tell how many of the hours are at each RPM range which will help you analyze how it was run.

Keep in mind you can get a new long block and install it for around 3k if this engine only lasts a couple more years. There is no reason it shouldn't last a lot longer than that but think about the fact that other a22 from that year are going for around the 50k mark.

I think it is price reasonable for the hours. My 2013 A22 has about 210 hours with PNP and extra bags, chillax seats, no heater and SP2. Very similar boat minus the seats and ballast. If I were to sell mine I would ask around $50k starting out. I am sure you could get in that boat for less with negotiating.

Edited by Garner

kx, would you be concerned that those hours came from boat club use instead of a private owner? I've seen lots of talk about these engines lasting for a couple thousand hours or more when well cared for, but I'm not sure what kind of use the engine would be getting at a boat club. I doubt the boat was weighted down real heavy, but I wonder how often people would run wide open for a long time or do something else with the boat, just because they don't own it, that a private owner would be unlikely to do.

Funny thing is, I bought the first axis bro stock boat, that we all know was loaded down heavy and ran hard. Although it only had 190hrs when so bought it, it now has 465. I still load it down heavy and run it hard. However it does have a salt series ls3. In the deal, I basically had half the interior replaced among other stuff, but it looks show room quality even now. That's also with salt water use. It really is just how you take care of it.

One thing it may need in the near future is a steering cable though. Those are super easy to change out and I suggest you do it yourself rather than pay someone.

Don't let people tell you hours don't matter, they do. It's one element of value, but a strong one that indicates usage.

My take on this boat is if you plan to keep it for a long time, then 650 hours isn't going to make a huge difference to you. Having bought and sold a couple boats, high hours are a major turn off in my experience to a lot of buyers. So keep that in mind. If you plan to buy, use for a couple seasons, and sell then the hours probably are going to be in the 800+ which will really dimish the boat resale value.

I also agree that club use generally means light use from a loading perspective, but it also means lots of people walking on the boat, and lots of new drivers, so scrapes and scratches.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 35k for that boat.

Edited by Indyxc

Thanks for all the replies so far. This is really helpful.

Indy makes a good point that the depreciation is going to follow the boat forever, in every sale in the future. I plan to keep the boat for more than a couple of years, but even most the ten year old boats I have seen don't have this many hours.

Aside from the steering cable that kx mentioned, are there any other common repairs that are likely in the near future for this number of hours? I don't mean the standard fluid changes with regular service, but parts that are known to wear out and fail around this point in a boat's life.

And kx, nice boat! I saw it when I perused the boat pics thread recently.

So far, I've just replaced small things and added stuff here and there. I had a couple ballast pumps go out. Replaced those in 5 minutes and purchased from a marine shop for cheap. I've also just got done replacing all the Brake rotors and pads on the trailer for right at $300.

If you mechanically inclined and have the time, there's really nothing on these boats that you can't fix yourself. That's the main reason I went with axis.

However, my boat now at just under 500 hrs has been perfect. Nothing has broken or wore out. All the work I have done is mostly due to my OCD in having everything perfect.

I think the only think that stands out are the seams on the vinyl seats tearing through. It hasn't happened on mine though. I keep my seats conditioned like there's no tomorrow though.

Man that interior vinyl looks hammered.

I looked at the photo and thought it looked alright, but I haven't seen any new Axis boats to compare it. Would you mind to point out the areas that look worn to you, and what tips you off?

I've asked the seller to send me more photos, so we'll see what I learn from those.

That makes more sense.

I got the additional photos of the boat today. It has quite a bit of wear inside and out, including some small gouges in the fiberglass, some tears in the vinyl, and some scuffs on the exterior. I think it's more wear than I'm looking for in a boat, so I'm back looking at older boats. Thanks to everyone for helping me think through this decision. I really appreciate it.