Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

360 on surf style board?

Kalamazoo

I've recently added a Koal Fish to the quiver and really, really enjoy riding it. I've played with the fins and currently run two 4.5" ronix hooks (no center). very responsive and fun to carve.

I'm no pro, but I can go ropeless endlessly, carve fairly hard, back/forward, etc. I've been trying to do 360's but it just isn't happening. I basically start back in the wave, gain speed, carve up the front of the wave then try to turn entire body (and board) for a 360. I get "stuck" at about 90 degrees.

Is it the style of board (skim better)? Is it the long fins getting caught in the wave? Perhaps I just need more practice / better technique?

maybe I need a new boat? :(

Edit: It's the 5'6" fish and I'm 6'2" 235# if that matters

Edited by Kalamazoo

practice the spin jumping on a trampoline or on the ground. Helped me a lot. Look where you want to go by turning your head, your body will follow.

It would be easier on a skim board, but do-able on surf. I can get the full spin on my Hazard and sometimes too much spin on my Tsunami but loose the wave. Hoping to ride one out this weekend!

practice the spin jumping on a trampoline or on the ground. Helped me a lot. Look where you want to go by turning your head, your body will follow.

It would be easier on a skim board, but do-able on surf. I can get the full spin on my Hazard and sometimes too much spin on my Tsunami but loose the wave. Hoping to ride one out this weekend!

so jump up and down in the front yard while spinning? Neighbors will have their suspicions validated...

• Like 1

It is tougher on the surf style board for sure.

Position your hips low, put your lead hand into the wave, engage your core, turn your head and the rest of your body will follow, look for the back of the boat, pump.

I have done a bunch of 360's on my skim but still have not rode away from any on my koal fish. I think it's the swallowtail on that board the locks it up when trying to spin. The board loves to go in a straight line. I don't ride the board much anymore but I had a little more success spinning if I slid my back foot forward a bit and keeping more centered on the board.

Edited by vanamp

so jump up and down in the front yard while spinning? Neighbors will have their suspicions validated...

Maybe I'll come over and join you if that will help :)

It is tougher on the surf style board for sure.

Position your hips low, put your lead hand into the wave, engage your core, turn your head and the rest of your body will follow, look for the back of the boat, pump.

Yep. Awesome advice.

And the importance of turning your head can't be overstated. and keeping it turned. So, so, so important. It's almost crazy how your body, and in turn your board, will follow your head instinctively. Get that part first and you'll learn how to compensate for other things you're doing wrong rather quickly.........but if you don't turn your head all the way through the spin, it's almost impossible to figure out the rest. Lead the spin with your chin. Good luck.

I'm not familiar with the koal but what fin setup are you running? Twinzer? Thruster?

Easier to break it loose with a twinzer setup IMO

it's a 3 fin board. I have the center fin removed and 4.5" ronix hook fins in the rear slots.