Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

In Dash Digital Display/Depth Guage

cnoble92

I have a 2006 VLX. When I start the engine....a few seconds later the in dash digital readout comes on (just like it is suppose to)....and then occasionally the screen goes to 0.5 ft shallow. If i'm fast enough, and have my cruise already set at the correct speed, I can get the cruise turned on before the shallow screen comes on and still use my cruise even though i can't see the cruise screen. Occassionally, the 0.5 ft screen comes on and stays on. Sometimes it comes on and goes back to the normal screen. Sometimes it never comes on at all. My temp reading is like 400 degrees as well. I'm on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky which is a very deep lake so I know the reading isn't accurate. I never had this issue until I had my boat detailed (exterior only). I don't know if this could have somehow screwed it up or just an unfortunate coincident. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Unplug the depth finder. It is a small plug under the dash on the left side. It is the plug that goes to the module with the transducer cable coming out the bottom. The factory ones have annoying glitches and parts are really expensive. Install an aftermarket Humminbird, Faria or Hawkeye unit and be done with it.

Some of the depth transceivers have a temp sensor in them for the lake temperature(my 2009 Response LXI is that way). My boat did the same thing, the depth stopped reading correctly then about a week later the temperature cut out. Unfortunately you need a new transceiver with the integrated temperature sensor. I had 2 go bad on my boat. One under warranty and one out of my pocket. I think it was $300-$400 for the part. You can pull the number off the transciever and order a new one from sources other than a dealer to see if you can get a better price. The second one I bought off amazon if I remember correctly.

If you're in the 2006 year model and its reading 0.5 or 400 Bakes says it's the transducer. If you want you can order the glue in transducer that splices into your existing transducer cable for $195 from them.