Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First boat

Mikea1988

Hi Guys I am looking to purchase a mid 90's Malibu boat for entry level wakeboarding.

My budget is 15k.

If the boat gets enough use and we end up being half decent then I will look to upgrade.

Your advice for which model has the best wake for boarding specifically would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would look for a sunsetter. If you can swing it, look for a late 90's sunsetter VLX. If you get a v-drive, you will have a better wake with less weight required. The are more expensive, but worth it if youre looking for a wakeboard boat.

• Like 2

You should be able to find a well kept Sunsetter LX in that price range. 2 years ago, I sold my 1997 for $13k with just under 900 hours and in fantastic shape. But, I totally agree with jaciche.....try to find a well kept Sunsetter VLX. May bump your $15k mark a bit, but well worth it for what you're after and still very versatile.

If you search far and wide you might be able to get a mid 90's vlx for 15-18k and will be so much better for wake boarding. The problem is there aren't many of those boats out there and they sell really fast when they pop up. Bumping your price point won't affect the cost to own at all really because the resale will be higher on the vlx. Unless you are trying to just pay cash I would strongly suggest spending the little extra.

Didn't't they become wood free with the 96? From my looking last year I saw 96 to 98 vlx going around the 15k range. Some looked real good and some were trashed. Lots of luck. Check boat trader.

My 98 Sportster had more than enough wake for entry-mid level wakeboarding (tantrums, backrolls, 360s were no issue). Boat had wedge and a tower. We only used ballast sacks (sides of motor box) if it was just 3 of us going out. If we had a couple more people we stuck them on the rear seat instead of the bags and had a great wake. These can be found with tower, wedge and perfect pass for 10k.

I'll throw another opinion to not be scared of a Sportster for beginner - intermediate wakeboarding if you see a good deal. Nice wake can be produced with some fat sacs. I got mine a little over 10k with an aftermarket tower and perfect pass. The only downside would be if you are looking to get into wakesurfing; they'd take a lot of weight or a surfgate type of invention to make surfing do-able but they aren't the ideal boat with their smaller size and lower freeboard. Boats don't get much simpler so it makes a great first boat. If you can get into a sunsetter or a Vdrive, awesome, but don't be scared of the direct drives.

I used search tempest when I was searching craigslist. I ended finding mine on boat trader but it was being offered on consignment by a dealer. I would always search to above my price and would still look at those that was even 7 to 8 k above my price figuring it was worth a look and trying to deal. Use a broad search criteria. Sometimes the search can be too restrictive. What state and area are you in?

Just did a quick nationwide search on trader and only saw a couple of vlx as well. One was 19000 for a 99. If I were in the market I'd still look at it if I could and try to offer less. There were more last year and less cost so as it gets closer to October and November you may see more and at lower cost.

• 10 months later...
On 9/10/2015 at 6:16 AM, BFresh said:

I'll throw another opinion to not be scared of a Sportster for beginner - intermediate wakeboarding if you see a good deal. Nice wake can be produced with some fat sacs. I got mine a little over 10k with an aftermarket tower and perfect pass. The only downside would be if you are looking to get into wakesurfing; they'd take a lot of weight or a surfgate type of invention to make surfing do-able but they aren't the ideal boat with their smaller size and lower freeboard. Boats don't get much simpler so it makes a great first boat. If you can get into a sunsetter or a Vdrive, awesome, but don't be scared of the direct drives.

How did you configure your sporty for wakeboarding. Wedge or not? ballast weight and configuration? also rope length

Edited by phantom