Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Remote oil filter.....now it is

So I crested 100 hours on my 2015 and am not done with my season yet! So another oil change was in order.

While doing so I realized that I could make life easier by actually making the remote oil filter truly remote.

I believe Indmar (or Malibu could request it) could have done a better job on this one and not having 4 different wire harnesses be hard up against the filter making it very difficult to get a tool in there.

First here is how I connect my oil extractor, works very well and I don't even need to heat up the oil to get it all out, I use to do this, but decided to try it without and had no issues.

20150905_133256.jpg

20150905_133325.jpg

Here is what I mean, look at all the wire harnesses crossing around and under the filter, makes it very hard to get a tool in there, even the socket style filter wrench which works the best is difficult to get in there. Not to mention getting something else in there to capture any leaking oil when you remove the filter.

20150905_140350.jpg

So after I cracked the filter loose, but before spinning it off I removed the three small bolts that held the remote filter unit to the bracket attached to the engine and was able to move it away from the engine and over a bucket to spin the filter the rest of the way off. It made life so much easier and I'd highly recommend this the next time you do an oil change

20150905_140539.jpg

20150905_141203.jpg

For owners with a 6.0L (410) in their boat, we offer an aftermarket bracket that mounts the oil filter under the starboard exhaust elbow. It is a block mounted bracket, and provides full access to the filter directly from the storage locker.

The oil lines remain the same and mounting block simply moves to the new bracket.

Are you going to use a bracket for fastening?

Ya, sorry I didn't include that information, but after removing the old filter I was able to install the new filter by hand while things were still disconnected. Was even able to get it tight enough. Then I just bolted things back into place as they were before.