Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo componets

Cmb396

Wow. hard to believe the dealer couldn't just tell you over the phone.

In a nutshell

SP 1. 4 cabins

SP2. 6 cabins, 4 Icon 8's and a 10" sub

SP3 6 cabins, 2 sets of 410's and a 12' sub

The amps are different too

Axis has all this on their website if you open up the brochure

I thinks things are the same for 2015 and 2016

Edited by Simo

I got a deal on sp3. The system is unreal. Only thing I changed was built a better sub enclosure. There is something to be said about having it from the factory, under the factory warranty. If you can get your dealer to give you a deal, why wouldn't you do it? One less headache to worry about. 410's are unreal, and the inboats and sub are great (and in my opinion everything is powered very well).

The reason for my orig question is to find out which is a better deal for me. If I can get a better, and more complete system locally, then that's what I will do. I'm in tight with the local audio shop.

Plus, like my local guy said, 410s are awesome...from 60-70' away!! They're designed like a concert speaker and would be way too loud for in the cabin, unless you add a 420 equalizer.

I'm thinking about building a stereo with JL components and using the 7.7 or 8s for the tower which will give a better in boat sound while still being loud enough for the rider being pulled.

I turn my towers off when just cruising, and turn my cabins off when someone is riding. The 410's are angled up and project out to rider, but does not one bit bother the people in the cabin. They get good sound from it as it passes over their heads. And if you want more full sound, just turn up the inboats. I know this doesn't help with your decision of factory vs aftermarket...more just that the 410's are awesome. Wake boarding 70' back it is crystal clear....and loud!

I'm not interested in hearing music while wakeboarding; however, I do want to hear it while surfing. Do you think there would be a big difference between the 10 and 12 inch sub? Personally, SP2 appeals to me minus the sub. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here?

Something else to consider is replacing the factory sub with a JL open air sub that does not require an enclosed box. I have 3 open air 10s in my current boat and they flat out thump!! JL is also making it in a 12" open air sub as well.

Anderson, did you add a WS420 eq?

From the factory with my sp3, I got a volume control for sub, and for inboats (along with main volume on headunit). I added a fader knob (Pac LC-1) for the towers. I will be adding a WS-420 soon, just haven't done it yet. I've heard it also makes a huge difference. The Pac Lc-1 was a quick fix until I get my 420.

So either way I will want (have) to add a 420. Not a huge deal but you'd think the factory would understand that zone control is a must have nowadays.

EQ's are definitely the way to go. I replaced three Pac-1's with a ZLD from Exile in my old boat and made a huge difference in both soud quality and convenience. Plus I got tired of replacing them every two years.

Yes, the 420 is a must. I can turn my tower speakers down to 1/4 volume while floating or beached, then crank it when there's a rider. Even with cruising, the tower speakers are way too loud for anyone sitting in the back when turned all the way up.

And for obvious reasons, you can dial everything in.

I'm not interested in hearing music while wakeboarding; however, I do want to hear it while surfing. Do you think there would be a big difference between the 10 and 12 inch sub? Personally, SP2 appeals to me minus the sub. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here?

Even though you arent interested in hearing music while wake boarding, there is a difference in output and mid-bass depth between 2 pair of 8" Icon-8 and a pair of Rev-410. I dont think theres a better sounding setup then a pair of Rev-410. Yes, there is a noticeable difference between a 10" sub and a 12" in terms of output and bass excursion. Once outside of the boat and especially underway, the subs impact is negligible.

Something else to consider is replacing the factory sub with a JL open air sub that does not require an enclosed box. I have 3 open air 10s in my current boat and they flat out thump!! JL is also making it in a 12" open air sub as well.

If the current Axis sub is mounted in the same plastic insert that is has been in years past, an IB sub is really not much of an upgrade, That insert is too flexible IMO, to support an IB woofer on its own. It needs reinforcing. Rather then make a woofer change, id build an enclosure.

If the current Axis sub is mounted in the same plastic insert that is has been in years past, an IB sub is really not much of an upgrade, That insert is too flexible IMO, to support an IB woofer on its own. It needs reinforcing. Rather then make a woofer change, id build an enclosure.

Agree, I built a enclosed box for mine and it was a night and day difference.

Good to know. I don't have an axis currently but am gonna order one this winter. I didn't know they were in a cheap plastic box.

The IB JL's I have are all mounted in fiberglass cutouts around the cabin. And they sound great.