Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at Avalanche

Falko

I installed new shocks this past weekend. All the reviews I read on the Avy said one of the first things to do is get rid of the stock shocks. After reading reviews on different ones and kind of reading between the lines, I decided to go with KYB gas adjust variable valving. I was looking at the heavier duty units from Bilstein, KYB, and Rancho, but they seemed to offer a heavy duty stiffer ride. The KYB were supposedly factory replacements. This is my DD so I wanted something comfy.

First thing I noticed when I took the old shocks off, they really weren't in that bad of condition. Moved pretty freely, no sticking, good rebound. Figured I just made a big $$ mistake in replacement. I installed the new shocks in the front then the rear. All went well.

Took it out for a spin, big difference. I don't know if these are lighter duty shocks or it is the variable valving, but they ride much better than the stock units. Don't really notice a difference in handling, they are no stiffer than the stock units. But this is a truck/SUV so I'm not looking for much in the handling dept. But the ride is substantially noticeable as being smoother especially over rougher roads. Happy with the results, and even happier I was able to keep my redneck side in check and not getting the extreme offroad models.

Now that is done, time to start spec'ing out some muzak equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

So getting my list together. I have my series of sub decided on (Kicker Comp), but what size? It is difficult to determine what sounds good in your vehicle and what will provide enough bass. I don't need a lot of bass, just to supplement the component speakers. I am thinking an 8" in a sealed box would suffice, but it is a large cabin really. What do you guys run in your trucks?

So after getting some advice, perusing some "showrooms", reading endless reviews, etc. Here is the final outcome for the components which are on order. I know they are not the highest of end, but not trying to turn this old truck into symphony hall either. Just something decent and a HU which has modern BT features.

Kenwood 373BT

Polk DB6501 components for the fronts, truck doesn't currently have components but in doing some research people have mounted the tweeters in the A pillar with good success (similar to the factory Bose units).

RF R400D amp to drive the components and sub, fronts to drive the components and bridge the rear to drive the sub.

RF P2 10" sub, to be mounted in center console "Box". I think 10" is a lot of power for what I am looking for, but was told the cab is pretty big for an 8". I guess I can always turn it down.

The rear outputs from the HU will drive the rear factory speakers for now. Might replace those in the future depending on needs.

The sub box will be a sealed unit and will incorporate provisions for the console shifter for the future. Still doing research on the proper what to install one, doesn't seem like it has been done a tremendous amount, which bothers me.

I have everything here and started laying out the sub box for the center. I have some cuts on the Winter's shifter, not sure this is going to work out. I want to re-use the cubby door for the top of the box and given its length, and the space to the dash, and the size of the shifter, it is mighty tight. I have to drop the shifter fairly low to clear the dash and controls, but then it is a reach. So, I do not think this is going to work with the shifter and may have to scrap that part of the project. Getting the right volume for the box does not seem like an issue though.

Yes, was thinking about the camera last night. I only want to do this once, but I don't want to buy a lot more camera than I need. Also, I want to get one that will fit in the housing around the tailgate handle to keep it tucked away. But I was also thinking of installing it in the plastic overhand over the tail light so it isn't in the tailgate to get moved a lot, make it difficult to remove the tailgate etc. It would be a slightly skewed picture but better than nothing and more convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

Have 2008 LTZ Avalanche- 5.3 with the 4 speed trans and tow package.Its my daily driver. Installed trans cooler- air bags in the rear coils and tow a 240 Searay Sundeck. About 6500lbs with trailer. Little under powered on long hills but comfortable and manageable.

Will see how it tows the new Malibu this summer :)

• 3 weeks later...

So the new stereo is 90% complete. Here is what I have done so far,

Ripped out the center console and rebuilt it into a sub box with a hidden amp spot in the front. I also moved the cup holder higher so I don't have to reach down to get them. I bought a drop in cup holder from a later model Silverado. I then made accommodations for 12V and USB chargers on the back side for the rear seat. Custom bent new legs to bolt in and built new mounting hardware for the flip top. So it still flips, this just isn't a seat anymore. I wrapped the plywood with a 1/4" rubber foam and then "upholstered" with matching charcoal imitation vinyl. I didn't get it pro-done as this box is a first run, will probably do another later and add some more features and fill more of the space. The following are the two pictures from construction, I will get more of it installed. It's nothing really that special, hopefully the sound is good.

The 10" sub is mounted in the box, the box volume is right at the recommended size.

I've installed the Polk component speakers in the door, the tweeters are in the a-pillars. The cross overs for these speakers are pretty big. They are tucked up under the dash.

Amp is installed in the box as you can see in the pics it has a little spot in the front. You have to take notice to actually see the amp now that it is in the truck. All the wiring is run from the dash under the carpet and comes up to the underside of the amp and rolls up into it.

Camera is installed above the trailer hitch and wired in.

Last thing to do is the head unit install. I thought with the long weekend I'd have it all done but wife had other plans. So I have everything installed, a bundle of wire sitting at the dash with no home. Worst part is since I removed the front speakers, I have no sound except for the one good back speaker.

Been a fun project so far.

20160131_154535_resized_zpsiij7hpsn.jpg

20160131_154524_resized_zpsb5ybtmee.jpg

• Like 3

Got the Kenwood DX373BT connected up this weekend. Everything worked great except the steering wheel controls adapter and the reverse camera (Esky). The steering wheel controls doesn't surprise me, the directions they supply are extremely limited and didn't make much sense. I'll be calling Crutchfield on that one. The camera though, it gets power, the video cable between the camera and the HU appears in tact (did a simply conductivity with a multi meter), so not sure what is wrong. Going to return it and try a different one. Sucks though, it was a beast getting the cable fully installed through the truck, now I have to remove it.

Anyway, the rest of the system works really well. I spent a little time after the install setting up the gains and balance, still needs a bit of tuning. The speakers (Polk composite) work great and the sub is more than enough for me. I probably could have gotten away with the 8" size sub. The bass is pretty crisp and can be really over powering in the truck if you turn it up. I actually went into the equalizer and set the bass down a bit. I'll probably end up turning the gain down some on the amp to balance it better. I'm a novice at this stuff, so it is all poke and pray right now.

can you try the camera on a different source to make sure it's the camera and not the HU?  Or try a different cable temporarily?  Totally agree that re-pulling 20' of video cable sux!

How do you have the camera powered?  Is there a setting in the Kenwood HU to trigger the camera in reverse?  I know on my pioneer it's set to positive polarity... I have the camera hooked to the B+ on my reverse (white) lights, so when I put the truck in reverse it powers on the camera and also triggers the HU to flip the screen to the camera.

I just replaced my old esky camera with the one that I'd linked earlier in the thread (the license plate frame one for $40 from amazon) and it works really well.

So the head unit has a wire that you connect to your reverse lighting. When that line gets 12V, it switches to the BU camera. The HU switches just fine, it looks for the camera, then gives me the no signal message.

The camera is powered from the reverse light. Using a MM, I am getting 12V on that line to the camera, so it is getting power. It just isn't working, or not compatible with the HU. Or, as you stated that particular input does not work on the HU. I have a tendency to think it is the camera though. I might try to connect the camera direct to the HU and bypass the long line (too much resistance??). But powering is going to be a pain.

• 2 months later...

So just to follow up. It was the camera. the guys at Elky were more than willing to send me a whole new one. Plugged it in and bam, worked fine. Mounting the camera at the hitch level does not match up well with the HU's reverse angle expectations. The back up grid is not overly usable, not that it is needed. Happy with the results so far though. The HU could have better signal pick up, it doesn't take much to go static, guess I need to ween off the welfare radio and burn some more data.

As for the truck itself, very happy with the utility. This time of year my bed is full of baseball gear and field tending equipment (rakes, shovel, etc.). Back seat is full of my work gear, plenty of space in the truck for everything.

The downsides. My wife doesn't like it. She calls me a car snob but she doesn't like going anywhere in an older vehicle, which is a bit of an issue. I bought this truck for baseball running and general driving around to keep the miles off of her SUV. Not the truck's fault by any means, just a bad case of princessitis. The truck has a bad suspension rattle. I've driven it around a bumpy parking lot with a guy from work standing listening to where it is coming from. He says the mid to rear of the truck. I replaced ALL the rear suspension bushings and the lower control arms. STill there. I looked at the torsion bar support bushings and they seem to be ok. I have new ones, but they are a pain to install so I have yet to do that. There is also an issue with these truck's steering shaft which is a simple fix, just need to try it. But I have my doubts that is it. In doing some other research, sounds like the body mount bushings could be a culprit, just hard to pin point. I got the truck with 50k on the clock but the age seems to be catching up with it quick.

46 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

For the rattle, check the muffler. There is a heat shield on it that tends to come loose and rattle.

I had this rattle. I heard it mainly at idle, sitting at a light or in a drive-thru. One shop found it & welded it, but a year or so later it was back (after towing the boat up a mountain pass). I had the muffler replaced & haven't heard it again.

The only suspension parts I've been thru in over 159k miles include shocks, front wheel bearings, a steering pitman arm, and brakes. No rattles.

Good luck finding it.

4 hours ago, Falko said:

My wife doesn't like it. She calls me a car snob but she doesn't like going anywhere in an older vehicle, which is a bit of an issue.  Not the truck's fault by any means, just a bad case of princessitis. 

Sounds like she needs to buy you a newer truck with her own money. :)  I'm very anti-princess though.  

I just sold my '02 to a friend this past weekend.  I would have kept her but we take a couple long trips a year with it and have had a couple issues during those trips.  Hell, with all the work I recently have done to it I'm sure it is fine to drive around the world but we lost a bit of trust in her, plus after 10 years it was time to upgrade.    

I have a hard time keeping a car after 5 years. I just get bored with them. I think I am going to go full A-Team with this truck though. Brush guard in the front with lights, blacked out wheels, and that cool red stripe down the side. What the heck, she won't ride in it anyway.

Her OWN money, hahaha. What's hers is hers and what's mine is ours. 

• Like 1