Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Slalom Ski

matt252

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking on posts here and seems like there are some educated people on skis, just haven't found exactly what I am looking for as far as answers. I am looking to move onto a new ski from an older Connelly F2. I have taken some time off skiing, but am getting back into it now and it seems like ski technology has really changed. I would say I am a high intermediate/low advanced that skis 15 off at 34mph and have skied in some fashion over the past 20 years on and off. I have skied a course a bit in the past but do not intend to in the near future so it is certainly not my priority. After looking at the cx, tx, and the senate, it seems like the senate would be a nice sweet spot and seems to fit what I am after. I certainly do not want a ski that is going to be too quick for me and my largest goal is to have fun, but I also am wanting to improve and am hoping to get instruction next year. So the question is should I pop for the graphite or just stick with the alloy version. While I don't want to just spend money to spend money, I am ok with it if its going to be beneficial. If you think HO would be a better choice happy to hear opinions on that as well

Thanks for your time!

Matt

i debated the same thing. didnt care for the alloy, loved the graphite. my wife skis anlittle slower, she had the senate alloy.

as a point of reference, i came over froma 10 year old siege, and this is a great ski for me for now. i run the course, but still free ski often. its stable, and responsive.

like inland laker said, try them all if you can before you buy one.

We both ski the superlite cx 15 off at 33 and free ski. Absolutely love it and thinking of getting another... I'm goofy foot and wife is left. She would like to tweak the xmax boots. We came from a Connelly concept with stoker boots. There is an incredible range of adjustments to the xmax system. So nice to ditch the soap and still feel very secure after 25+ years in double high wraps. I believe there are a few on ball of spray who run the course with the cx. I wouldn't mind hitting the course on it but don't have good access to one and probably don't need another addiction!

I also have a Radar Senate C (2013, based on the Strada). I debated C or non-C and am now very thankful I went with the higher end version. The newer Vapor-based Senate shape is very forgiving. Considering that and how often you buy a new stick, I vote Graphite if you aren't able to demo skis.

But if you can...demo.

Edited by Porkfight

Another vote here for the Senate. The Alloy will be slightly more forgiving and better in rough water. The Graphite will be faster. If you are a larger and/or more aggressive skier, go with the Graphite. The previous version is excellent too, so don't be afraid to buy an older Senate or Senate C if you can find one.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Another vote here for the Senate. The Alloy will be slightly more forgiving and better in rough water. The Graphite will be faster. If you are a larger and/or more aggressive skier, go with the Graphite. The previous version is excellent too, so don't be afraid to buy an older Senate or Senate C if you can find one.

:plus1:

I would also look for a used D3 Quest. The first models aren't the coolest looking skis, but they ski amazing!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Minor but related hijack. I weigh 165lbs and am on a 66" 2013 radar strada. I free ski at 32 mph and am in the course at 30 mph (but hope to progress to 32 next year - at the beginning of this season I was at 28 - behind my vtx no less). In both cases I ski at 15' off. Would I be better off to be on a senate given my slower ski speeds?

:plus1:

I would also look for a used D3 Quest. The first models aren't the coolest looking skis, but they ski amazing!

The Quest 45 is my next ski. Best ski I have ever ridden!! Still forgiving even though it is a high level ski. It does hunt for an edge a bit, which is why I don't recommend it for recreational skiers.

Edited by Brodie

Minor but related hijack. I weigh 165lbs and am on a 66" 2013 radar strada. I free ski at 32 mph and am in the course at 30 mph (but hope to progress to 32 next year - at the beginning of this season I was at 28 - behind my vtx no less). In both cases I ski at 15' off. Would I be better off to be on a senate given my slower ski speeds?

If you are comfortable on the Strada, stick with it. The Senate will be a little more forgiving, but you may not necessarily ski better on it.