Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 23 LSV wakesetter prop selection

timelinex

Chewed up my prop, so its time for a replacement. I currently have a a 1235 prop on there, the previous owner said he got it to improve surfing. It isn't one recommend by here unless you have a VLX, which I don't. However it seemed to of worked fine (top speed about 44mph).

Can you guys recommend a prop for me, here are my requirements.

- Main purpose of this boat is 50/50 wakeboarding and wake surfing

- wakeboarding I weigh it down about 1000lb

-wakesurfing I weigh it down about 2000lb

- I live in phoenix, AZ and the lake is at 1,700ft elevation

- I am on a small lake so top speed is my last concern. As long as its not much slower than now, it doesn't matter.

Edited by timelinex

1235 looks about right for you. You aren't running enough weight to justify a different prop.

How much are you guys weighing your bad boys down, if my weight isn't 'enough'?!

For surfing, I have all my hard ballasts filled, except for opposite surf side... Then plus a 1100 ballast filled almost to the top on the surf side.

Have you never heard of "More's Law"? - more is always better.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Toss another several hundred pounds in there and never look at how much gas costs at the pump.

So you guys are sure about the 1235 being good? According to that link its good for the older 23's but for 2004+ they recommend the 2247. What will be the difference?

Edited by timelinex

So you guys are sure about the 1235 being good? According to that link its good for the older 23's but for 2004+ they recommend the 2247. What will be the difference?

http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php

This link should help (right side, halfway down.) You'll see that the the 2247 is the exact same prop but 1/2" larger diameter, so in effect it will be a slightly taller gear due to less slippage.

My 2 cents: I have the 1235 installed on my 2002 23 LSV with 1100lb bags (I get about 7-800lbs in each), 500lb center ballast and a homegrown surf gate. I'm new to surfing but happy with the wave so far if we have a decent passenger load. I'm at just under 3000' and it gets plenty hot here. It does fine and goes plenty fast. The 1235 is a very good prop. If you are surf-centric and more heavily ballasted, then get the 2313. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably go with that prop, but having said that I'm happy with this one so far...I would gladly trade 4mph off my top speed for better low-end grunt.

http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php

This link should help (right side, halfway down.) You'll see that the the 2247 is the exact same prop but 1/2" larger diameter, so in effect it will be a slightly taller gear due to less slippage.

My 2 cents: I have the 1235 installed on my 2002 23 LSV with 1100lb bags (I get about 7-800lbs in each), 500lb center ballast and a homegrown surf gate. I'm new to surfing but happy with the wave so far if we have a decent passenger load. I'm at just under 3000' and it gets plenty hot here. It does fine and goes plenty fast. The 1235 is a very good prop. If you are surf-centric and more heavily ballasted, then get the 2313. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably go with that prop, but having said that I'm happy with this one so far...I would gladly trade 4mph off my top speed for better low-end grunt.

OK, so acceleration will be worse with the 2247 but high speed will be higher?

Slippage makes sense. That explains why the top speed is barely higher with WOT compared to like 75% WOT

OK, so acceleration will be worse with the 2247 but high speed will be higher?

Theoretically, yes, but hard to say. Those props are so close I'm not sure you'd even notice the difference without using instrumentation.

Slippage makes sense. That explains why the top speed is barely higher with WOT compared to like 75% WOT

Prop selection is a big factor in that depending on the goal (surfing vs barefooting) but that's probably more hull-induced drag rise with speed than anything else. Drag rise is not linear with speed. True of every inboard since you can't "trim" the boat out, removing a large portion of the drag-producing hull from the water as you can with a sterndrive.

You say you don't care about top/upper speed...I'd say go with the 2313 if you're worried about it. Again, just my 2 cents ;)

Just make sure that no matter what prop you get if you're going up in diameter you check your trailer clearance.

Ordering the prop and puller today. Anyone have a link to a DIY prop replacement? I figure its pretty straight forward, but step by step instructions always help..

I tried doing a search on here and din't come up with anything, my googlefu must be weak today.

1235 is fine

I changed to it long ago and its been flawless

We run about 3800lbs for surfing at 535ft above sea level.

With no ballast I still get a solid 49mph top end

1235 is fine

I changed to it long ago and its been flawless

We run about 3800lbs for surfing at 535ft above sea level.

With no ballast I still get a solid 49mph top end

Have you calibrated this speed versus GPS?

Ordered the 1235 prop and the $150 ACME prop puller kit from Nettle Props. I had all the tools but the $80 puller, but I decided it was worth $70 to have the extra tools and nice bag to keep on the boat with my spare prop.

They give a $50 off prop repair so I will send mine in to be repaired to keep as a spare.

Thanks for the help guys.