Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaged Propeller replacement?

timelinex

I have a 2006 23lsv. Our water level at our lake is really low and unfortunately we encounter a patch of unmarked rocks :(

Luckily we were only going about 5mph. But the boat just came to a halt. We reversed out of there. Luckily it looks like the hull itself is undamaged, but the prop got a bit chewed up.

I attached a pic. Obviously I will be replacing it.. However is it detrimental to keep using the boat this way (until off season)? Obviously the MPG and acceleration will be hindered, but neither of which are too big a deal for me.

post-28516-0-50645600-1441755306_thumb.j

OK.

Is this something I can actually just replace by myself, quick and easy? (The previous owner put 1235 prop on it)

The reason for me wanting to hold off replacing isnt a $$ issue, but rather a time/hassle issue. The round trip from home to lake to dealer and back home is a 4 hour procedure (so really 8 hours!).

Also, I didn't feel any vibrations, however we only drove it 5mph after that so thats probably why. Is there a easy way to check nothing else was broken or slightly bent other than the prop (like bent drive shaft or something).

Edited by timelinex

Yes, order a new prop, key and puller tool. Replacement should take 30 minutes. Some guys on here can even do it with the boat in the water.

Excellent. Thats what I will do (dang those bad boys are expensive!)

I am gonna start a new thread for recommended prop's, since its a different topic.

Is there a easy way to check nothing else was broken or slightly bent other than the prop (like bent drive shaft or something).

Thanks again

Edited by timelinex

Excellent. Thats what I will do (dang those bad boys are expensive!)

I am gonna start a new thread for recommended prop's, since its a different topic.

Is there a easy way to check nothing else was broken or slightly bent other than the prop (like bent drive shaft or something).

Thanks again

Key out, engine off. Try turning the prop by hand. If it's smooth with no "grabs" or tight spots the shaft should be fine. You should be able to turn the shaft by hand. It's just under and aft of the V drive.

Getting ready to order a prop. Whats the best website to do that?

Also, looks like some of the other replacement parts might not be too expensive, are they worth ordering too, even if I'm not sure if they are bent?

Key out, engine off. Try turning the prop by hand. If it's smooth with no "grabs" or tight spots the shaft should be fine. You should be able to turn the shaft by hand. It's just under and aft of the V drive.

So I replaced the prop yesterday. I tried spinning the prop by hand and it spins when you give it a firm push. There isn't any binding or particularly rough spot. HOWEVER, overall the turning is rough. The bearings make a loud skreeching sound as if they are rusted or tight and not lubed.

I know that they are supposed to be rough compared to when in the water and wet. However I tried turning someone else's inboard prop and it definitely turned relatively smoothly and without noise.

My prop only took a little bit more effort to turn, but there's obviously enough friction that I can barely turn the other boats shaft by hand but not mine. No binding or particularly rough spots though.

So is this OK? I realize this probably effects gas milage and I'll definitely get it checked out within a few months with my oil change, but is it OK to ride for now?