Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas in oil Monsoon 320HP?

I have a 99 Response LX with the Monsoon 320hp. I change my oil last month and it was over filled by about a quart. Just check it again today and over filled again. To me it does not seem like water. The oil is very clear and has no sign of water in the oil. Could gas be getting in the oil? It does have slight miss at idle and have a trouble code, I can smell exhaust in the gas at times at Idle as well.

I'm going try and see what the code is in the next few days maybe give some clues also drain the oil to see if it smell like gas.

It runs pretty good. Plenty of power.

If the oil level is going up, it's more than likely gas. Water in the oil ends up looking like and having the same consistency as a chocolate milkshake.

I'll bet you have a leaky fuel injector..

By the way, you really don't want to run it with diluted oil, it's like running 1 weight oil.

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 2

^^^ What they said. I had the same thing happen to me. Pulled the injectors which are real simple to do and sent them off to a place in Houston. I ended up having two leaking injectors. They will provide you with a before and after cleaning report. Engine runs better too.

Doing some searching. I was able to get PN of my injectors: 17121068 Rochester #. Which I found crosses to Bostech MP3022. There seems to be some newer style injectors that are direct replacement that have better atomizaion of fuel. I've emailed several injector shops for recommendations. I'll update as find out more.

Edited by gregy

Just a thought - could it be fuel pump also? in a 99 isn't the pump driven by the belt rather than electric in the tank?

It would be a fuel pump regulator before the fuel pump. Typically an FP won't overpower the regulator. I won't say it's never happened, I just haven't ever seen it.

Leaky or sticking injector is my first guess, and it's washing the cylinder(s) out. Pull the spark plugs to see which ones are super black and smell like dripping fuel.

Second is maybe a temp sensor is going back and it's running way, way richer than normal and all the cylinders are doing it. In this case, all the plugs should be black and sooty and smell a lot more like fuel than they should.

Lastly is the fuel pressure regulator is failing and allowing too much fuel through, although it's the more unlikely culprit.

Here are a couple of photos that might help you.

Spark+plugs+sign.jpg

77f69ea0.jpg

Just a thought - could it be fuel pump also? in a 99 isn't the pump driven by the belt rather than electric in the tank?

No, the pump is electric, on the port side of the block. Not belt driven.