Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Labor Day 2015 pics

Bill_AirJunky

Shawn, do you tow with center window open? What lake did you end up going out to, pyramid? I had to work :-(, after all it was labor day!

hahaha good catch. No I don't tow with my window open on purpose. that was just between my storage unit and my house (1/4 mile away on residential streets).

Glad you all had great weekends! We were on the water 7am Saturday morning, not another boat around for an hour. about 9-10 it got rolly but still great, 6 boats all day, winds came at 1pm & we were tired & done anyway. Here's 9am Sat morning!

beer_zpsuyjseol8.jpg

It does not appear the young lady in the background digs your choice in beer judging by the way she is holding her nose. :biggrin:

• Like 3

It does not appear the young lady in the background digs your choice in beer judging by the way she is holding her nose. :biggrin:

Nah, she's doing that stupid peace sign across the face with the duck lips all the youngens are doing these days. FWIW, my first choice was Summer Shandy but store was out so I took chance on this one, it actually isn't bad

Nah, she's doing that stupid peace sign across the face with the duck lips all the youngens are doing these days. FWIW, my first choice was Summer Shandy but store was out so I took chance on this one, it actually isn't bad

We go through lots of Summer Shandy in the LS-One household.

^^^ the above pic of very legit wakesurf wave is exactly why I always scoff at the claimed "chest high" or even "hip high" surf wave. Look we make endless knee/thigh high waves... that are legit and that you can have fun on all day.

• Like 1

thaaaaaaat looks like it might have required a beer during recovery.

Had my own little mishap. Went down off a surfboard, spun around and put my arms up to keep the board from hitting my face (like I always do when I fall, just in case)

Glad I did it. The board slammed my elbow, on the "funny bone." Couldn't actually use my arm for anything until the next day, had zero grip. lol

IMG_6565_zpssssppz0h.jpg

Why are people LIKING this! ;)

Hope that's not your drinking arm! Heal up quick.

Why are people LIKING this! ;)

Hope that's not your drinking arm! Heal up quick.

I'm drinking hand ambidextrous... lol

Iced that thing up, watched the Auburn game, and pounded a couple with my left hand. ha

Ruining all that smooth water. Makes me want to punch something small, cute and furry. >_<

Yeah my wife and I kept saying that to one another.... she and I and all the kids had already done two sets, and the whole lake was glassed out like that (still some roll, but definitely close to as good as it gets). We were heading back to the dock at the end of the day and it took an hour of tubing from where we were to get back. Glass like that 90% of the way too. No other boats at all tho so not really ruining it for anyone.

• Like 2

First try was a little too slow on the cut and resulted in under rotation. But the second two he had good speed, good rotation, etc.
I might try slowing down juuuuust a hair. It would pull some of that speed off the cut, hurt less when he falls, and let the board be a little more sturdy when it hits the water. I'm assuming no center fins, which is good cause there's no catch when he lands slightly crooked, but also makes it a little squirrely if he lands off balance. he's carrying that rotation all the way through to the landing, so he's close. Just timing and balance at this point I think.

Only other suggestion is make sure you spot your landing if you can. LOOK where you want to land. :)

Edited by ibelonginprison

I hate all of you guys with the lake pictures. Our weekend was rain, interrupted by snow and wind. Hopefully the weather smartens up a bit. I need one more fix on the water!

• Like 2

oh btw, my son needs some help landing his backroll (begins about 0:40). Any tips?

Slow the boat and shorten the rope. No need to go near that big or hard to land a backroll. Once he gets the rotation and spotting down, he can go back to "regular".

Yeah my wife and I kept saying that to one another.... she and I and all the kids had already done two sets, and the whole lake was glassed out like that (still some roll, but definitely close to as good as it gets). We were heading back to the dock at the end of the day and it took an hour of tubing from where we were to get back. Glass like that 90% of the way too. No other boats at all tho so not really ruining it for anyone.

Well, if there are no other boats and you've already had a full day - then have at it. I certainly don't have a problem with it at that point. lol

My lake on the other hand.... tighter quarters in the main channel in a lot of the places (flooded rock quarry, essentially) There are places where it's a mile wide, but most of the times it's 1/4-1/2 mile wide. Some places where it's only a hundred yards.

At one point, I had 7 boats around me on the main channel. Four in front coming at me towing tubes, three behind me towing tubes.

All of them weaving, playing chicken, trying to kill each other.

I went back to our favorite ski slough and staaaaaaayed there for the rest of the afternoon, hiding. LOL

after watching the video a couple times it look like he's getting pulled forward slightly at the end near the landing then chucking the rope. After the initial roll have him start pulling the rope down towards his left hip with both hands. This will help slow the rotation and keep his body in a better position to prevent catching that nasty edge. As others stated, shorten the rope 5' -10' and reduce how wide of a cut he takes. The heelside backroll is all about proper edging off the wake not necessarily big speed and big air (that will come once you get comfortable with the roll and landing and start taking it way out into the flats with a longer rope). All that is needed in the beginning is a short powerful cut with a hard edge off the wake.

He's getting close! Tell him to learn all he can while he's young and still heals quick!

• Like 2