Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I sadly need to sell. What should I expect to get?

MEYJR

Unfortunately it looks like I need to sell my boat. My dad is ill and we are making plans to find a house my mom can share with us when that time comes in the next year. To upgrade to what we will need I probably have to sell. So what should I expect to get?

2014 23 LSV with about 75 hours. 350hp, Red, White, black (no metal flake). 4 Wetsounds Icons, (no sub yet, was doing that this winter) Wetsounds EQ , cover, etc. Excellent condition. I am very anal and clean it everytime it comes out of the water. We are in Dallas area where boats seem to be in very high demand. I am just worried about selling it this time of year.

Thanks for any opinions,

Mike

Edited by MEYJR

Put up for what you want, maybe someone will bite. At worst, you pull it from the market and see in the spring. There is still plenty of boating left for the year, it was almost 100 out here yesterday. As with everything, just takes the right buyer

Wanting to sell and absolutely must sell are two different situations. If you absolutely must sell then search on boat trader and price it competitively. It's quickly becoming not a great time to sell a boat, if you can hold off until next spring activity will pick back up. If you are financing the boat and paying interest on a loan this also comes into play with how much it will cost you to pay on the loan for 6 more months, plus any storage fees. Make a nice video to attach to your ad to really give potential buyers a good look at your boat. I think Shawn is spot on for pricing going into a slow time of the season.

Also consider advertising in New Zealand and Australia, there season is just beginning to kick off.

Thanks for the help everyone. I did call WSA yesterday. And what they said falls right into line with the comps wakebrdr94 posted. I would be happy with the mid range of them but I will wait until next spring before I settle for the low end. And get a few more trips on it first.

Those "comps" are asking prices. IMHO there's a reason those boats are for sale and not sold. And all but one on that page have the LS3.

LOL really if someone walked up to me with $79k in cash today, they'd be driving away with my LS3 boat. I just don't ever see getting $80k+ for a 2014 once the '16s start rolling into dealers, especially with the 350.

Also being in TX, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like pricing is very aggressive in TX. I'm pretty sure you could've got a brand new close out '15 from WSA for under $85k with 350. Yours is a year older with the "ugly" dash etc.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV etc etc.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

Those "comps" are asking prices. IMHO there's a reason those boats are for sale and not sold. And all but one on that page have the LS3.

LOL really if someone walked up to me with $79k in cash today, they'd be driving away with my LS3 boat. I just don't ever see getting $80k+ for a 2014 once the '16s start rolling into dealers, especially with the 350.

Also being in TX, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like pricing is very aggressive in TX. I'm pretty sure you could've got a brand new close out '15 from WSA for under $85k with 350. Yours is a year older with the "ugly" dash etc.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV etc etc.

I want to make that my signature ^^

Really?

If dealers are clearing 15s with new dash and pw2 off the lot for low/mid 80s, don't you think a year old boat with a warranty you need to pay to transfer, an "old" dash and an "old" wedge is worth substantially less?

At this point a '14 only really has a season of warranty coverage left and it's going to cost $1000 for the new buyer to get it.

My boat is one of the comps, as is mrnate's. Our dealer has a 15 with an ls3, that he won't let go for less than 95k. If you look there is not a lot of 14's out there really. Show me a dealer that will sell me a 15 with an ls3 for 85k, and I'll drop my price to 75k tomorrow!

If dealers are clearing 15s with new dash and pw2 off the lot for low/mid 80s, don't you think a year old boat with a warranty you need to pay to transfer, an "old" dash and an "old" wedge is worth substantially less?

At this point a '14 only really has a season of warranty coverage left and it's going to cost $1000 for the new buyer to get it.

I know of someone that got a new x30 here for 83k or 85..... Are prices dropping or resale prices dropping? Seems like it

My boat is one of the comps, as is mrnate's. Our dealer has a 15 with an ls3, that he won't let go for less than 95k. If you look there is not a lot of 14's out there really. Show me a dealer that will sell me a 15 with an ls3 for 85k, and I'll drop my price to 75k tomorrow!

Right... but the OP's boat is a 350, not an LS3. Hence my argument that his boat is at the bottom of the comps. Plus the comps aren't really comps, they are asking prices.... the OP asked what he should expect to get not what he should expect to ask. Plus Plus texas (boats seem to be cheaper there generally).

If you look at OIB there are several leftover '15 LSV's with 350's for $88k.

Now back up a year, remove the new dash, add two seasons worth of hours, and two LESS years of warranty...

Yeah, low $70's feels right to get it sold this time of year.

Wait for February and you'll get more.

Wrong Shawn doggy! WSA is the number one malibu dealer in the country - they sell more malibu boats than any dealer and they sell more 23's than any other line up. I have talked to multiple folks who has bought 23's with 350's and they are not that low. They would have no reason whatsover to sell on for that price. Our market is too demand heavy down here.

This is coming from a guy that has bought 3 boats from them...

IXFE is more in line with his pricing that he has found.

Edited by Murphy8166

Wrong Shawn doggy! WSA is the number one malibu dealer in the country - they sell more malibu boats than any dealer and they sell more 23's than any other line up. I have talked to multiple folks who has bought 23's with 350's and they are not that low. They would have no reason whatsover to sell on for that price. Our market is too demand heavy down here.

This is coming from a guy that has bought 3 boats from them...

Umm, nope. MN Inboard is the #1 dealer in the country, #2 in the world. (#1 is some dealer in Canada)

http://www.malibuboats.com/news/news-listing/annual-dealer-meeting-awards.html

Top 10 Malibu Dealers

Wizard Lake Marine

Minnesota Inboard

Waterski America

Texas Malibu

Tommy's Colorado

Skiers Pier

SMG of Atlanta

Larson Marine

Taylor's Boats

Aqua Sport Marine

East Coast Flightcraft

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks for the help everyone. I did call WSA yesterday. And what they said falls right into line with the comps wakebrdr94 posted. I would be happy with the mid range of them but I will wait until next spring before I settle for the low end. And get a few more trips on it first.

I would still go ahead and post it! Clean low hour boats sell like hot cakes down here and that is a sharp looking boat. Also - with our water logged June and July boating season will be extended this year.

Just have a price in mind that you wont go below.

Wrong Shawn doggy!

Huh? I think IXFE is agreeing with me? And he doesn't even mention PW2 vs PW1.

If you look at OIB there are several leftover '15 LSV's with 350's for $88k.

Now back up a year, remove the new dash, add two seasons worth of hours, and two LESS years of warranty...

Yeah, low $70's feels right to get it sold this time of year.

Edited by shawndoggy

Some more realistic (git 'em sold) asking prices:

LS3 2014 with 50 hours for under 80k: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-102579295 (that interior tho... afun?)

similar boat to OP's asking 79: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-102587457

2014 with half the OP's hours asking 74: http://www.chessiemarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=379261&pov=4257214