Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

93 echelon stalls after idle

I have a 93 echelon lx with a mercruiser 350 5.7l. It starts, idles and will rev in neutral but dies when in gear and it is throttled past idle. After some research I feel I may have a bad fuel pump and/or a bad accelerator pump on the carb? I changed the fuel/water separator and there is gas going into the carb. However when I give full throttle when the boat is not on, the fuel does not spray out of the jets, only drips. Any ideas?

I would start with a carb overhaul, sounds like perhaps some debris causing some fuel delivery issues. You can find quite a bit of rebuild help on the net, Carter AFB and the Edelbrock line of carbs are same and instructions from them can guide you (keep the calibrated setup from the Weber intact). Check the accelerator pump on the carb for debris and adjustment as a start.

I had similar issues with my '93 Echelon and there were two major culprits: the carb (already mentioned; I had mine rebuilt by Recarbco in Martinez, CA - recarbco.com) and the distributor shaft bushings were totally worn out. Here's a quick test: start the boat, make sure it is warmed up, leave it in neutral tied up at the dock (but loose) and rock the boat side to side, if the engine hesitates, runs rough, or stalls the problem may be the distributor shaft "wandering". A competent auto parts shop can remove the bushings and press new bushings (or even better bearings) on to the distributor; you don't need to replace the distributor shaft if the only issue is bushings.

* I should mention that the issues I had for the carb were similar, therefore the rebuild. The overall idle and stalling issues were distributor shaft related.

Edited by mikeo